Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Trending in the Golf Market

JohnBarry

In my job, I do a lot of forecasting and trending in the fashion industry, trying to stay current and ahead of the game. It's tough let me tell you, but if you were to ask me last summer, what I thought the number 1 trend for summer 2010 would be, I would have said Plaids.

Now, the golf fashion market, which I do not work in, but like to follow, copies the fashion markets to a degree. What is stylish off the course, can translate to what is stylish on the course. Every single golf clothing company is making Plaid shorts this Spring/Summer, and for the Fall, the number of Plaid Pant offered will more than double. Every store you go into, plaids and madras plaids are everywhere. The Fashion Mecca of what's going on, Macy's on 34th street in New York City, I got the chance to walk last week. Bright Spring Colors (last years trend also) and Plaids and Madras was everywhere, every line offered it.

What does this mean? The golf clothing marketing is getting compartmetalized. The classic looks, the trend following big brands with conservative plaids, the way out there plaids, Loudmouth, etc, and the JL high dollar fashion designed golf clothes.

What about next Spring/Summer? I think one brand has a lock on it right now, SubSeventy with their ability to customize colors and match together. Solid on Solid matching head to toe, in loud clean colors. That's my predicition. I want the 70's back in golf fashion, but I think I am way to far ahead of the curve, but it is coming also. All it would take is one remake of Caddyshack!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting take on fashion directions. Sounds like you and the guys you golf with have a sense of humor to go along with your sense of style..More power to you all...

I could change my name on here to "100 shades of Khaki" and do a fair representation of myself. I'm an older guy, lived through the 70's when lime green pants would get you arrested elsewhere but were in vogue at the country club. Not my thing but enjoy some of the looks people brought to the course. My wedding reception was a golf tournament at our club and some of the outfits that showed up still bring a smile/grimace to my face...But those are the folks I remember 23 years later...too bad the memories lasted a lot longer than the marriage! But THAT day was great..

Archived