Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Think you got a fake Scotty cover...

RookieBlue7

So I had the fake Scotty headcover I bought on Fleabay a while back. I filed a dispute and the seller promptly refunded me the money for it and said "Keep it, didn't know it was fake". Whatever, he had 4 or 5 that sold. I reported him to fleabay when it happened and his account was closed shortly thereafter.

Well, since it cost me nothing, I figured we'd do a little open heart surgery on it to see just how these fakes are made. I was actually surprised to find that it was pretty well made. It actually had a few points I liked better than the AM&E headcovers, but the quality just wasn't there and the materials used were cheap. So, what makes it different you ask?

First there was no AM&E tag inside, dead give away aside from the crap material used for the outside of the cover. I forgot to take a picture before I started tearing into it, but I'll go through the process.

First thing I did was flipped it inside out. From there, I hacked out the very cheap faux fur.

DSC02293.jpg

Underneath the fur (as you can see above), there was a lime green double layered mesh that was backed by a thin layer of black foam and covered by a material similar to speaker grille cloth, 4 layers total.(mesh close-up pictured below). In an AM&E headcover, there is none of this mesh in any of the headcovers I own, just the medium density foam, which is white. Quality foam. I do, however, like the double sided mesh idea under the faux fur, as it adds a little protection against the foam and prevents degredation of it in the spots you'll typically see wear spots (or thin spots, whatever your preferred terminology). There also was no hole at the bend such as what's typical of AM&E headcovers (flipped every Scotty cover I own inside out and checked, I have gamer headcovers only, so none of them were creased anymore than they would be when being used). This was another aspect of the fake I actually liked, but again, we're talking cheap materials and lack of authenticity. It is a good idea though. (Notice that the faux fur is all one piece, which I actually like as there are no seams. You can also see the missing AM&E tag.)

DSC02294.jpg

Next, I removed this green foam. Underneath, the only thing was the vinyl, which had a layer of foam backing on it. Didn't like this feature, as it makes the outside of the cover more rigid and isn't as supple as an AM&E cover. That could also be a byproduct of the cheap materials used as well. If the outer exterior weren't to remain rigid, I'd like the idea. As it stands, no vinyl/leather I've found anywhere remains soft and supple when it's backed by a thick backing like this.

Before cutting the entire green mesh/foam stuff loose: DSC02295.jpg

The foam backing on the vinyl I described close up:

DSC02296.jpg

Lastly was the embroidery of the Scotty logos. They were actually good quality embroidery. There were no loose threads anywhere I inspected and were well done. The thread, however, wasn't as thick nor was it UV resistant thread. (I tested it and it was bleachable, didn't take a pic of that though).

Close up of embroidery from the back, typically where you see loose thread/flaws:

DSC02297.jpg

Overall, I was happy with my little experiment. Hopefully it provides those of you that might be questionable about some headcovers a little insight about fake versus authentic. Had I not known any better, I MIGHT have thought this was real. Since being on here, and learning about a bunch of stuff on here, I can spot fake Scotty goods from a mile away. That said, it was a learning experience for me in seeing exactly how these fakes are made. I've kept the pieces just for the sake of keeping them, but hopefully this is educational to others of you out there.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Archived