US Serviceman plays in pro-am with Tiger

72strokes

http://72strokes.com/2011/02/us-serviceman-plays-in-pro-am-with-tiger/

US Serviceman plays in Pro-Am with Tiger

by DEREK on FEBRUARY 10, 2011

Michael-Rowells.jpg

Lt. Col. Michael Rowells was the winner of last month's contest to play in the Dubai Desert Classic pro-am with Tiger Woods. Over 16,000 people (myself included) entered their names for a chance to fly to Dubai and play with Woods.

Lt. Col. Rowells had to fly in from Afghanistan where he is serving with the 401st Army Field Support Brigade. He hadn't played in 4 months and the rust showed on the course. However Rowells still said the experience was amazing:

I came in wanting to play decent and I really didn't. But it didn't matter. The experience was so far beyond what my score would have been. The time with Tiger, and the time here at Emirates Golf Club, has just been tremendous regardless of how many balls I put in the water.

Rowells said that Woods was very engaging and much of their conversation revolved around his military service. Tiger's father Earl, was also a Lt. Col. in the Army.

He understands the services, and that is always a plus. A lot of people don't quite understand what we do. I think he has decent respect for the military and that is always nice. We spoke a little about his dad, some of the places he had been, like Fort Bragg, where I'll be ending up in the next year-and-a-half or so.

ABC News

Derek

72strokeslogo_green.jpg

Archived