Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Green's Folly - South Boston, VA

HardcoreLooper

Virtually every week, I truck on down from Richmond, VA to High Point, NC to visit one of my clients.  I have two choices for the drive, the mindless, soul-sucking I85 or the country road of Route 360.  I've scouted out all the courses on both routes, and I always keep my clubs in the car.  It was 5:30 PM when I hit South Boston, so I figured why not stop and play nine at Greens Folly?

When I pulled into the parking lot and took a look around, the first thing I did was untuck my shirt.  This place was definitely no-frills.  But the front porch was covered with backpacks; there were a ton of kids out on the golf course, and that made me feel good.  

This place is unashamedly country, and it's exactly what I'd expect on a country road in rural southern Virginia.  I mean, it's basically an old plantation.  And while it seems like a great name for a golf course, the place is named for Reverend Berryman Green and how foolish it was for him to build a grand home out in the middle of nowhere.  The history of the place (linked above) is actually a good read.  The manor house is stately, but it's fallen on hard times.

The conditioning is about what you'd expect.  There's grass covering a fair amount of the ground, but you need to roll the ball around to make it playable.  The greens are puttable but inconsistent.  A few have been overtaken by weeds.

And there's just a little bit of weird going on

But as usual, I am a sucker for land movement.  

Twitter is cutting off the picture, but that was a 249 yard 5 iron off the tee.  It's ridiculously downhill.  The course rolls up and down over the landscape, with a nice mix of tight, tree-lined holes and others that are WFO.   I had time to play holes 1-12, but it was close to dark and I figured I had time for one last hole.  And how could I turn down the opportunity to play a 667 yard hole?  I was pretty disappointed in not being able to reach in three, then I looked at the card and saw that it was a par 6.

Green's Folly is another golf course that I would not recommend going out of the way for, but if for some reason you find yourself in South Boston, it's a fun place to slap the ball around for a few hours.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino