Ben Hogan Edge

fixyurdivot

Perhaps I'm missing it in my searches, but were these ever part of a HitSquad test and/or Official Forum Member review.

https://mygolfspy.com/2018-ben-hogan-edge-irons/

The folks at Hogan are referring to them as "game enhancement"... but suspect smaller profile GI category. I read John Barra's "First Look" article, but was hoping to hear from those who have tested or playing these.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

Perhaps I'm missing it in my searches, but were these ever part of a HitSquad test and/or Official Forum Member review.

https://mygolfspy.com/2018-ben-hogan-edge-irons/

The folks at Hogan are referring to them as "game enhancement"... but suspect smaller profile GI category. I read John Barra's "First Look" article, but was hoping to hear from those who have tested or playing these.

2018 Most Wanted GI test. https://mygolfspy.com/2018-most-wanted-game-improvement-iron/

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Thanks @cnosil... I suspected I had missed these having been tested.  Looks like they did not fair too well 😕.

16 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Thanks @cnosil... I suspected I had missed these having been tested.  Looks like they did not fair too well 😕.

This is for sure not what I expected, but the numbers separating top performers from the bottom were surprisingly close. I'm not knowledgeable enough about how MGS conducts these types of tests, but I wonder how much loft difference, slight shaft variations, etc. might have driven the data. I would love to know if someone more involved in the testing could shed light on how many variables are eliminated...

Titleist 975J

Callaway Hawkeye 3 Wood

Ben Hogan CFT Hybrid, Apex Plus Irons

Cleveland 588 Wedges

Scotty Newport 2 Mid Slant Pro Platinum

3 minutes ago, Crowev01 said:

This is for sure not what I expected, but the numbers separating top performers from the bottom were surprisingly close. I'm not knowledgeable enough about how MGS conducts these types of tests, but I wonder how much loft difference, slight shaft variations, etc. might have driven the data. I would love to know if someone more involved in the testing could shed light on how many variables are eliminated...

Yea, good point.  The degree of separation in the scoring may very well be in seconds, not minutes.  I'm currently struggling with the decision on Club Champion or TrueSpec because TS does not offer Ben Hogan and CC does.  The D7 and maybe the Edge would be nice to test.

3 minutes ago, Crowev01 said:

I am one of the testers,  what do you want to know?     The tests are designed to work like most people buy clubs.  They walk into a store pick something they like maybe hit it a few times and then purchase off the rack.   Some manufacturers ship multiples of the clubs so that we can find shafts that may work better than the others.   For example SGI testing is tough because some of the shafts are 40grams.  I don't know a lot about how they calculate the results, but it isn't simply distance;  it involves other launch monitor information so loft shouldn't impact teh results too much.   Most of the time the numbers are close; with few exceptions every club in the test is a quality club and could be configured to work for the player.  

Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 minute ago, fixyurdivot said:

Yea, good point.  The degree of separation in the scoring may very well be in seconds, not minutes.  I'm currently struggling with the decision on Club Champion or TrueSpec because TS does not offer Ben Hogan and CC does.  The D7 and maybe the Edge would be nice to test.

Can't hurt to try them. I never would have landed on my beloved Hogan irons if I hadn't had the chance to hit them first. Good luck and I hope you find a winner. 

Titleist 975J

Callaway Hawkeye 3 Wood

Cleveland 588 Wedges

Just now, cnosil said:

I am one of the testers,  what do you want to know?     The tests are designed to work like most people buy clubs.  They walk into a store pick something they like maybe hit it a few times and then purchase off the rack.   Some manufacturers ship multiples of the clubs so that we can find shafts that may work better than the others.   For example SGI testing is tough because some of the shafts are 40grams.  I don't know a lot about how they calculate the results, but it isn't simply distance;  it involves other launch monitor information so loft shouldn't impact teh results too much.   Most of the time the numbers are close; with few exceptions every club in the test is a quality club and could be configured to work for the player.  

I would wonder if all clubs tested, say 7 iron, are the same loft? It says long, mid, short iron so are they chosen to have the same loft regardless of iron number or is it club to club. Also, do they all have the same shaft? I would guess same flex, and it sounds like the weights have some variation, so how much would that factor in? The test results are not so wildly different on some of these that I wouldn't attribute some of the variation to these types of variables. Obviously, there has to be differences from club to club, I'm just curious how much is different from test club to test club. Thanks for the info. 

Titleist 975J

Callaway Hawkeye 3 Wood

Cleveland 588 Wedges

1 minute ago, Crowev01 said:

I would wonder if all clubs tested, say 7 iron, are the same loft? It says long, mid, short iron so are they chosen to have the same loft regardless of iron number or is it club to club. Also, do they all have the same shaft? I would guess same flex, and it sounds like the weights have some variation, so how much would that factor in? The test results are not so wildly different on some of these that I wouldn't attribute some of the variation to these types of variables. Obviously, there has to be differences from club to club, I'm just curious how much is different from test club to test club. Thanks for the info. 

They are not the same loft;  they are stock from the OEM so they will vary from club to club.  One of the charts in the article usually shows measured loft.   They do not have the same shaft;  they have whatever the OEM sends.  Some will send multiple sets so we will do basic fitting to find a good shaft.   They try to use same flex for each tester but sometimes a needed flex isn't available.    It is just like walking into a store and hitting clubs from off the wall,  they are all different.    For the test we use 5, 7, PW.   For players, players distance, and even GI the shafts are pretty consistent lots of KBS and Modus with a few others thrown in.  Players and players distance are usually in the 110-120g range,  GI in the 105.   SGI is where you get the biggest variation as you will see both graphite and steel with shafts weight 40-90 grams.  I think the big reason that people don't like SGI clubs is that they shafts aren't good fits.  I could see myself putting some of the SGI sets in my bag if they had the right shaft. 

Archived