Luke Donald Almost DQ'd from Masters

JMiller

ESPN News Story --> http://espn.go.com/golf/masters12/story/_/id/7780344/masters-2012-luke-donald-almost-disqualified-fax-machine-smudge

I have to wounder in 2012 with the scoreboards and cameras around is the signing of scorecards and sending a score via FAX is really the answer. I mean really technology is everywhere but we are still using the paper process for scorecards?

In 1968 Roberto DeVicenzo signed for a score card that he made 4 on 17th, but in reality he made a 3 on the 17th, this cost him a playoff chance for the green jacket that year making Bob Goalby the winner.

What do you all think about this story?

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

• SPY VIP

ESPN News Story --> http://espn.go.com/g...-machine-smudge

I have to wounder in 2012 with the scoreboards and cameras around is the signing of scorecards and sending a score via FAX is really the answer. I mean really technology is everywhere but we are still using the paper process for scorecards?

In 1968 Roberto DeVicenzo signed for a score card that he made 4 on 17th, but in reality he made a 3 on the 17th, this cost him a playoff chance for the green jacket that year making Bob Goalby the winner.

What do you all think about this story?

It's beyond stupid. First off all, with TV coverage of basically every shot on the golf course, everybody knows what a given golfer shot. It's not like anybody could intentionally fudge a card, even if he wanted to. Unless there's clear evidence of intent to cheat, fix the error and move on.

Secondly...a fax machine machine? Really? I don't know if it's the PGA or the traditionalist wizards at Augusta who haven't stepped into the digital age yet, but when you figure that a schlub like me is able to record my score hole by hole, and then when I'm done, (at the touch of a button) upload it to the record keeping site, email it to myself, and post it to facebook and twitter if I so choose, you'd think a multi-million dollar organization could at least get a scorecard from point A to point B without needing a phone line and a toner cartridge.

Boggles the mind, it does.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I put this right up there with still using umpires to call strikes/balls, there's no reason for it with the technology we have. Scorecard mistakes at the professional level are 99.99% of the time human error. Roberto DeVicenzo should have been given his shot back. There was another player earlier this year who was DQ'd. There's just no point. I can hear Sarah Palin in the back of my head saying this is "Gotcha" golf.

For anyone saying players would constantly fudge their scores accidentally, I don't buy it. The media backlash would be extremely harsh on anyone who makes a mistake more than once every year or two.

Oh I come from a technical back ground with a A.A.S in Computer Technology, Computer Science & Systems Analysis and also a B.S in Computer Science. I'm a software developer in short and a computer geek. So to see someone using a fax machine when they have as much money as they can throw at something is a bit disturbing.

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Oh I come from a technical back ground with a A.A.S in Computer Technology, Computer Science & Systems Analysis and also a B.S in Computer Science. I'm a software developer in short and a computer geek.

So to see someone using a fax machine when they have as much money as they can throw at something is a bit disturbing.

I'm also a Software engineer/geek/nerd (my various posts analyzing numbers probably already hinted at that already...)

There are so many ways out there that are better than a fax. No wonder they can't get over the rule preventing women from joining Augusta, the members are all old and fear change, technological or otherwise. I wonder how long it took them to adopt the fax. For all we know this is new technology for them!

I'm also a Software engineer/geek/nerd (my various posts analyzing numbers probably already hinted at that already...)

There are so many ways out there that are better than a fax. No wonder they can't get over the rule preventing women from joining Augusta, the members are all old and fear change, technological or otherwise. I wonder how long it took them to adopt the fax. For all we know this is new technology for them!

I mean the player is responsible for checking his/ her score card before leaving the scoring tent and signing the card. Obviously the opponent made a mistake in writing down a 4 for the player and the player didn't catch it until after the card was signed and they left the tent.

I think it is silly in the tour today that has shot by shot tracking for the entire field on their website and they commonly go to the cameras for rules violations. The paper score card and process on tour I think is well out of date. However, the process has to be there for local tournaments that do not have the founds for TVs on every hole and shot by shot tracking.

I just think on this level with the funds that they have... a fax machine COM'ON MAN!

I spent about an hour writing what I thought was a well thought out arguement against technology. I borrowed quotes from Gary Players, and Tiger when they rail against the golf ball or long putter, but in the end, this argument against technology of any kind and golf rings hollow.

Golf, perhaps more than any other sport has always, always embraced technology. Starting 1848 with the golf ball, and probably even sooner than that with the clubs. This continued use of the manual score card system is stupid but then again so are the arguments about rolling back the golf ball, or banning the long putter.

The time to ban either of these has passed. The time to implement a new scoring system is here.

However, since your paycheck is determined by the score you sign for, it is really a no brainer. Make sure the scores are right. You would not endorse the check if they left off a couple of zeros on it.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 15°  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:mizuno-small: ST190 18° on Graphite Design AD DJ 7S 

:ping-small: G425 22°  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Disregard part of what I said. They use the same system on the PGA Tour that I will use tomorrow in a tournament. I do not have cameras or even a caddie watching me. I play under these same rules.

I have to leave to play golf but since I am opposed to have different equipment rules I must also say I am opposed to changing this rule. I do not like it but I must vote to keep it until I hear a better option.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 15°  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:mizuno-small: ST190 18° on Graphite Design AD DJ 7S 

:ping-small: G425 22°  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I am fine with rules changes. Gary Player talks about things like the long putter on the professional tour only. He has made statements that they need to bring the ball back and get rid of long putters for top professionals not the average Joe.

The real question is do you think that there should be a different rule book for top professional and average joe player? Some people think yes some people think no. I guess I am on the fence from a consumers stand point.

I know some OEMs like TM that want the consumer to think that they are playing what tour players have when they are not. TM R11s (460cc) is not equal to the TM R11s v2 (420cc) and the v2 is not available to the public it is tour only.

From a single digit handicap I feel that what is a good change for the tour would be a good change for me as I look at course rating more around a scratch or better player then the weekend hacker. I like to have equipment that is as close as possible to what's available to the best players. I play what fits me but I mean the same technology and rules.

I see both sides of the argument, but just wanted to spark some conversation on the score card thing.

Archived