Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

Better pairing? 3 wood with a 3 hybrid or 4 hybrid?

FallenSaber

I'm a big fan of hybrids. It's usually my most consistent club. But I also want to keep my 3 wood in my bag for the days when I just cannot seem to hit my driver. I've traditionally had a 3 wood paired with a 4 hybrid but am considering going with a 3 hybrid instead for a little added distance. Anyone else have a 3 wood/3 hybrid pairing? Do you find that there is too big of a gap between 3 hybrid and the 5 iron? Thanks for your input!

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Max LS

3 Wood: :PXG: Gen 5 0311XF 

Hybrid: :PXG: Gen 5 0311 XF 22 degree

Irons: :PXG: 2022 XCOR2 0211 5-GW

Wedges: :taylormade-small: R Series 54° & 60°

Putter: :odyssey-small:

2023 Test: ⌚Garmin Approach S70 47mm

I carry 3 and 5 woods and 3 and 5 hybrids and the gapping works.  My 3 wood is much longer than my 3 hybrid.  I would get away with not having the 5 wood tbh but I like both it and my 3 hybrid so much I don’t want to leave either behind, and the 5 wood can be longer than the 3 hybrid if I want or need a little extra on a shot.  Of course, gapping is a very personal thing, so you should probably test and see how it works for you.  Good luck and please let us know what you learn.  

Working at getting better ... and very slowly getting there.

•  :callaway-small: Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8* (:accra:  Shogun Blue M0 Otto-Phlex)
  •  :taylormade-small: Brnr Mini driver 13.5* (:accra: FX 3.0 140 M1 Otto-Phlex)
  • :callaway-small: Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids
  •  Maltby TS3 (4-8)/TS4 (9-PW)/TS1 (GW) (shafts:  :projectx: LZ 6.0)
  • :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (:projectx: wedge shafts 6.5)
  • :L.A.B.: DF 2.1 (BTG shaft)
  • :redrooster: Gloves

My Official 2024 TaylorMade Qi10 Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62804-taylormade-qi10-drivers-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1014200

My Official 2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

Going out on a limb here and saying that the 3w, off the turf, is the most perplexing, troubling, and hated spot in most amateur bags.  It's been a gremlin for me... a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.  While still in my bag, it's being pulled less and less; opting for my 5w or, depending on lie, my TM Gapr hybrid iron (it's the Mid-Lo tuned down more like a 2i).  I've started a couple of threads on this subject looking for spyologist help.  A good many suggest just using a 5w or a 4w.  If we can hit it more consistently, the loss of 10-15 yards is an acceptable trade.  

The bottom-line is that if someone comes up with a silver bullet option for the 3w, that works for the majority of amateur's, they will be very popular and filthy rich 🙂.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

8 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Going out on a limb here and saying that the 3w, off the turf, is the most perplexing, troubling, and hated spot in most amateur bags.  It's been a gremlin for me... a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.  While still in my bag, it's being pulled less and less; opting for my 5w or, depending on lie, my TM Gapr hybrid iron (it's the Mid-Lo tuned down more like a 2i).  I've started a couple of threads on this subject looking for spyologist help.  A good many suggest just using a 5w or a 4w.  If we can hit it more consistently, the loss of 10-15 yards is an acceptable trade.  

The bottom-line is that if someone comes up with a silver bullet option for the 3w, that works for the majority of amateur's, they will be very popular and filthy rich 🙂.

I don’t know if this works for everyone, but here is my silver bullet process for the 3W: 1. Play a relatively large and forgiving head.  2.  Ensure you are fit for the correct shaft - mine is the fairway wood version of my driver shaft.  3.  Aim 3” in front of the ball.  4.  Swing just like an iron - ball first then turf.  5.  Don’t set up with the clubface closed.  6.  Don’t treat it like a tee shot!

Hope this helps you.  It has helped me a ton.  

Oh, and this is exactly how I have been taught to hit my hybrids also.  

• :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (:projectx: wedge shafts 6.5)

My Official 2024 TaylorMade Qi10 Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62804-taylormade-qi10-drivers-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1014200

My Official 2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

14 minutes ago, IndyBonzo said:

I don’t know if this works for everyone, but here is my silver bullet process for the 3W: 1. Play a relatively large and forgiving head.  2.  Ensure you are fit for the correct shaft - mine is the fairway wood version of my driver shaft.  3.  Aim 3” in front of the ball.  4.  Swing just like an iron - ball first then turf.  5.  Don’t set up with the clubface closed.  6.  Don’t treat it like a tee shot!

Hope this helps you.  It has helped me a ton.  

Oh, and this is exactly how I have been taught to hit my hybrids also.  

Ground before ball for many is a bad idea especially for those with slower speeds. A swing that neutral to l very slightly down is a better option for most.

while being fit can help the reality of golf is that as loft goes down and clubs getting longer it gets harder to hit the ball.

so while these may work for you they are more than likely not for the vast majority of golfers. 

Iirc Andrew rice and a couple others have out our videos showing that hybrids and fw don’t need to be played like irons but don’t need to be hit up on either and it’s somewhere in between

3 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Ground before ball for many is a bad idea especially for those with slower speeds. A swing that neutral to l very slightly down is a better option for most.

while being fit can help the reality of golf is that as loft goes down and clubs getting longer it gets harder to hit the ball.

so while these may work for you they are more than likely not for the vast majority of golfers. 

Iirc Andrew rice and a couple others have out our videos showing that hybrids and fw don’t need to be played like irons but don’t need to be hit up on either and it’s somewhere in between

You are correct.  It may not be for everyone.  Also to clarify - I said (perhaps not clearly) ball first, not turf.  

34 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

T-Less driver.   Keep an eye on the testing thread;  I think it will get good reviews and performed well.   But it is an infomercial product so people won't buy it. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG