Interested in Fitting - But Unsure of How to Go About it!

taylorjonasher

I am considering going to get fit, but am weighing a couple of different options. First, I have had my eyes on Titleist for awhile - has anyone ever done a Titleist fitting; either through a partner or a Team Titleist day? I need to replace the top end of my bag, driver and woods, and have hit the TSR2 a few times and liked it, but I am not opposed to any other brand either - whatever fits my swing. I've heard some really good things about Titleist fittings, but they have been from absolute TT fanboys that I take them with a few grains of salt. 

Which brings me to the second part -  who has walked into an independent studio with a blank slate and walked out with a driver and or woods that changed their game for the better? Did you go in with a preconceived notion of what you thought you wanted and then have your eyes opened to something else? 

Titleist TSR3 // Tensei 1K Black 65g

Titleist TSR3 3W 15* // HZRDOUS Black 70g

Titleist U505 2i // HZRDOUS Black 85g

Taylormade P770 4-PW // Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 105g

Callaway JAWS MD5 50*

Callaway JAWS Raw 54* / 58*

Taylormade Spider GTX Single Bend Splitback / Ping Zing 2

Titleist ProV1 // Srixon Z-Star XV (Depending on how much money I want to lose any given swing)

43 minutes ago, taylorjonasher said:

I am considering going to get fit, but am weighing a couple of different options. First, I have had my eyes on Titleist for awhile - has anyone ever done a Titleist fitting; either through a partner or a Team Titleist day? I need to replace the top end of my bag, driver and woods, and have hit the TSR2 a few times and liked it, but I am not opposed to any other brand either - whatever fits my swing. I've heard some really good things about Titleist fittings, but they have been from absolute TT fanboys that I take them with a few grains of salt. 

Which brings me to the second part -  who has walked into an independent studio with a blank slate and walked out with a driver and or woods that changed their game for the better? Did you go in with a preconceived notion of what you thought you wanted and then have your eyes opened to something else? 

Titleist fittings are generally considered pretty good.   With any fitting people think they are great, mediocre, or terrible.  

Ultimately, it depends on the fitter.  You need to decide what you want and communicate that with the fitter and they will help you figure out how to meet those expectations.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Thanks for the feedback - it's actually the answer I expected. The fitting is only going to be as good as the person doing the fitting. I guess I'd go further and ask if anyone has had experience doing both types of events - manufacturer sponsored and independent fitting and had any insight as to which was was a better experience. 

Titleist TSR3 // Tensei 1K Black 65g

Titleist TSR3 3W 15* // HZRDOUS Black 70g

Titleist U505 2i // HZRDOUS Black 85g

Taylormade P770 4-PW // Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 105g

Callaway JAWS MD5 50*

Callaway JAWS Raw 54* / 58*

Taylormade Spider GTX Single Bend Splitback / Ping Zing 2

Titleist ProV1 // Srixon Z-Star XV (Depending on how much money I want to lose any given swing)

I've had fittings at Club Champion, PGA Tour Superstore, our local club Pro and a highly respected independent fitter. My worst experience was at PGA Superstore, however, I'll attribute that to the individual vs. their process (note this was a driver only fitting). The independent fitter did a full bag (except driver) and has done successive fittings for my wife and son and has been game changing*.  While he didn't do the driver fitting (I had just received the 410 SFT as an official tester), he recommended I replace the Alta senior flex with a regular flex, note; the online Ping fitting tool recommended the senior flex. Since I just received the 410 it didn't make sense to try other drivers. The 410 with the regular flex was a big improvement over my previous GBB driver. The Club Champion fitting was driver only, and was done the following year. It was more of a lark than anything else as my wife and I got paired up with the fitter from CC for 18 holes. That was game changing as well since the fitting resulted in additional yardage and better dispersion. I didn't buy the driver at the time because their fully loaded price for the SIM2 was $900. However, I bought the SIM2 with a similar shaft profile to the CC spec once the Stealth came out and at a substantially lower cost. 

* My original fitting (very loosely worded) with the club pro was Ping only on the driving range with no analytics. He recommended Ping to everyone at our Club. The Independent fitter had me go through a half doz OEM's and different shaft combinations. The result was better distance and substantially better dispersion. Interestingly, I still refer to that trackman data on occasion and check it against my Shotscope numbers. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

3 hours ago, taylorjonasher said:

Titleist fitters are very experienced and they started using teaching pros as their titleist fitting reps so you get someone who understands how to fit along with the swing so you will get a club that’s going to be good for you on good days and bad days based on how you swing.

Getting someone who knows and understands swings isn’t as common as one would think with fitters.

Thue have a pretty detailed process they go thru.

I’ve don’t both a titleist thursday fitting and also been to a multi vendor fitting. Both are good options. Fittings are going to depend on how good the fitter is and how well the communication goes between the fitter and gofer 

It sounds like you have an idea of what you want/like to play with.  I played Titleist for a long time before converting to Callaway.  Titleist demo day fitting was really good, Titleist was our club sponsor in college that was a great one on one fitting.  My last Callaway fitting (earlier this year) was great.  I like to experiment with different clubs before going to a fitting.  My best piece of advice is know what you like (feel,look,response,etc.).  And keep that in mind during your fitting.  PXG fitting 3 years ago was probably the worst one ever.  The fitter didn’t listen and I didn’t speak up enough about my likes/preferences.  Fitter makes a big difference, if you don’t like your interaction try another one.

good luck

B_LinksGolf "Any day golfing is better than a day in the office"

What's in the Bag:

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST 3diamond LS: Tensei raw blue 65g stiff

3w/5w: Callaway Rogue ST LS: Tensei raw blue 65g stiff

4i-6i: Callaway '24 Apex CB/Modus 3 130 X-stiff

7i-10i: Callaway '24 Apex MB/Modus 3 130 X-stiff

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw (matte black) 50ºs-grind/54ºs-grind/58ºz-grind

Putter: Callaway AI-one Jailbird mini DB 35"