Testers Wanted: Sub 70 Pro V2 Fairway Woods ×

Tour Velvet (Cords) vs Tour Wraps

MathieuMo

Hello MyGolfSpy,

I'm looking to get my irons regripped as I just bought them and they need new grips (bought used). I recently bought some mp32s and they had some nice soft winn grips on them. Now I have been playing tour velvets (on wedges and driver) as well as multi compounds (irons, 3wood) for a long time but, I might say my iron swing has improved with these softer tackier grips. I know obviously grips are important dependant on size and environement but is there really much performance difference between the two? Really I'm trying to decide if I should start leaning towards tour wraps for my set rather then my current corded grips.

WITB

Taylormade Light Stand Bag

Titleist 913 D3 8.5 X-Stiff Diamana Whiteboard D+72

Titleist 910 F 15 X-Stiff Matrix Ozik Black Tie 8M3

3 Iron Adams Super DHY 21 X-Stiff Matrix Ozik White Tie Altus HX3

4-PW Mizuno MP32s Project X 6.5 

50,54,58 Titleist Vokey Spin Milled + SM4 DG S300

Nike Method Putter

Hello MyGolfSpy,

I'm looking to get my irons regripped as I just bought them and they need new grips (bought used). I recently bought some mp32s and they had some nice soft winn grips on them. Now I have been playing tour velvets (on wedges and driver) as well as multi compounds (irons, 3wood) for a long time but, I might say my iron swing has improved with these softer tackier grips. I know obviously grips are important dependant on size and environement but is there really much performance difference between the two? Really I'm trying to decide if I should start leaning towards tour wraps for my set rather then my current corded grips.

Really it is a matter of what feels confortable to you I use a mixed bag of grips on my driver fairway metals and long irons I use full cords on my mid irons and wedges I use tour wraps this is because I wear a glove for my driver fairway woods and long irons on my mid irons and wedges I dont use a glove I know I do some crazy stuff but the wrap grips are less expensive than the cords

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Like Big Stu says it is a matter of personal preference. However, my personal preference are the Tour Wraps and here is why.

The soft Winn grips are fine for about two weeks, or 20 rounds of golf. At that point they start to fall apart. The Tour Velvet last a good while but they become slick, they actually get dirty and slick pretty easily, and then get slick as they get older. The cord grips will eat gloves very quickly, and tend to get hard and slick also. The NDMC grips are the worst of both worlds. They attract dirt like the Tour Velvets, eat gloves like the Cords. The Tour Wraps on the other hand, with periodic cleaning tend to last longer. Even as they wear they still retain their softness and do not become slick. Also, you can get the Tour Wraps for 1/3 the price of the others.

:callaway-small: Paradym 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430 MAX 3W  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:taylormade-small: SIM2 Rescue 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small: GAPR Mid 4 on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:taylormade-small: P790 Black 5-G on :kbs: TGI 80S 

:mizuno-small: ES21 54° & 58° on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I think I would probably play cord if I were to be playing in very hot humid / wet conditions a lot. I don't have to deal with that very often so when it does happen I just end up using a towel to dry of the grips and my hands, have lots of gloves handy in the case that one gets too saturated to grip the club well.

I personally play some Star Tour Wraps, not a lot of people have heard of the company but they are made in the USA and are a great grip for a low price. http://www.ebay.com/itm/220709927518?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I use the star grips with 3 buildup wraps under the right hand and a full wrap of double sided, my personal preference but that is completely up to you.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Archived