What Golf Ball Are You Playing In 2024?

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... While I agree that money has no value unless you spend it and as much as I love the '24 TP5x I find it annoying that Callaway offers limited designs for the same price as their white and yellow balls. Taylor Made's money grab tacking on $5 for their limited balls over the cost of white, yellow and even PIX balls is a tough pill to swallow. 🤑

Totally fair -- the Stripe only added $2, but the specials are $5. I scrounge a couple dollars back each time because of their rewards, but doesn't make up the difference. But, the Callaway models either haven't been as frequent or just haven't caught my eye nearly as well as the TaylorMade -- exceptions are the Hot Dog Chrome Tours (which I bought), and the German Shepherd and Fireworks models (which I missed/skipped). Especially since they expanded beyond just the TP5 and started including the TP5x with every special release, I've been buying (and using) quite a few. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Qi10 LS 8* w/Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 6X or Terra Forza Yellow+ (MGS Test in Progress!)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Stealth2 Plus, 15* (adjusted to 14.25*) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 7X

Irons:  :titleist-small: U505 1 Iron (16*), T200 "Utility Build" 3 and 4 irons, all with Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 95 X Flex, :titleist-small: T100S 5-9 with Nippon Pro Modus 120 X Flex (2021 MGS Test). These things are monsters. 

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM9 46.10, 54.12, and 58.08, all with custom etchings & KBS Tour Masters-themed shafts, X-flex (CHA Post)

Putter: Total headcase and Putter Ho. Down to two main options in the rotation (one mallet, one blade), but have 4-5 by the basement putting green that might make it in the bag at some point this year... Mallet: :L.A.B.: Mezz XL 36" Orange; Blade: :L.A.B.: Link.1 w/Accra White shaft & :garsen: grip

23 minutes ago, Javs said:

I agree with you that their original ball has too much spin for me. I also will be looking at the tour. I want to see less spin and a more penetrating flight. Oh and mine will have the Marine logo!

Hooyah!! 😁

Chux Bag o' Magic:

:PXG: Black Ops 10.5°

:PXG: 0317X Proto Hybrids (17°/19°)

:PXG: 0211 XCor 2021 Irons (5-PW)

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 46° wedge

Juggernaut Max CB Full Face 52,56,60° Wedges

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 custom broomstick

:callaway-small: Chrome Tour ballz

Tech: Garmin R10/Galaxy Watch 5 Pro Golf Edition

---Opus Platinum Forum Testing Review---

I'm trying a bunch of things this year. Haven't found a go to yet. TP5x, QStar, e12 (not a fan), Tour Response and AVX. Not sure where I'll land!

Telling my wife to buy quality things over the years has paid off for my golf bag. 

I’m stilling hitting (and losing) Vice Pro balls. I used to buy them from Sam’s Club, but they stopped carrying them, so I started buying them from Walmart and waited until the price dropped to $40 for a double dozen. I currently have three boxes of them so hopefully that’ll last me for the next year and a half unless my game goes to complete shite.

On 9/11/2024 at 12:41 PM, chisag said:

... While I agree that money has no value unless you spend it and as much as I love the '24 TP5x I find it annoying that Callaway offers limited designs for the same price as their white and yellow balls. Taylor Made's money grab tacking on $5 for their limited balls over the cost of white, yellow and even PIX balls is a tough pill to swallow. 🤑

This didn't hit me until the dice balls showed up, but I think a decent portion of the $5/dz TaylorMade upcharge is for the packaging. I noticed before that Callaway's special releases just have a standard dozen box with a special sleeve over it, but TM goes all out - the entire box is customized (sometimes a different shape and everything - the pickle balls came in a "jar", the skulls in a coffin shaped box). Reason the dice balls stand out: the box is a Craps table (as shown in that stock pic), and the design within the black section actually feels like table felt - I bet that box cost them a heck of a lot more than the stock TP5 box. 

Cool? Yes. Unnecessary? Absolutely. Worth an extra $5/dz? Not a chance... But considering the annual golf costs, it's just a drop in the bucket. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Qi10 LS 8* w/Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 6X or Terra Forza Yellow+ (MGS Test in Progress!)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Stealth2 Plus, 15* (adjusted to 14.25*) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 7X

Irons:  :titleist-small: U505 1 Iron (16*), T200 "Utility Build" 3 and 4 irons, all with Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 95 X Flex, :titleist-small: T100S 5-9 with Nippon Pro Modus 120 X Flex (2021 MGS Test). These things are monsters. 

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM9 46.10, 54.12, and 58.08, all with custom etchings & KBS Tour Masters-themed shafts, X-flex (CHA Post)

Putter: Total headcase and Putter Ho. Down to two main options in the rotation (one mallet, one blade), but have 4-5 by the basement putting green that might make it in the bag at some point this year... Mallet: :L.A.B.: Mezz XL 36" Orange; Blade: :L.A.B.: Link.1 w/Accra White shaft & :garsen: grip

On 9/13/2024 at 10:24 PM, ChiefMikeOfficer said:

This didn't hit me until the dice balls showed up, but I think a decent portion of the $5/dz TaylorMade upcharge is for the packaging. I noticed before that Callaway's special releases just have a standard dozen box with a special sleeve over it, but TM goes all out - the entire box is customized (sometimes a different shape and everything - the pickle balls came in a "jar", the skulls in a coffin shaped box). Reason the dice balls stand out: the box is a Craps table (as shown in that stock pic), and the design within the black section actually feels like table felt - I bet that box cost them a heck of a lot more than the stock TP5 box. 

Cool? Yes. Unnecessary? Absolutely. Worth an extra $5/dz? Not a chance... But considering the annual golf costs, it's just a drop in the bucket. 

The felt on the box made me pick it up to take a closer look. that's seemingly what they are going for, to get someone to take a second look. Luckily for me, I had no interest in spending the normal price on TP5/TP5x, let alone the surge price, so I was able to put the box back after I thought, "that's cool, but who would spend extra on a box that you would throw away normally?"

And... It's in the water...

Two questions about the Tour Response ball: (1) has the ball changed since the 2022 version?; and, (2) is TaylorMade planning to release an updated/reformulated  version next year?  I like/use the ball but the way TM has been pushing its 2-for-$75 promo makes me wonder if this is a prelude to clearing out old stock for a new ball.

Driver:  Ping G425 Max (10.5º; Regular )

Fwy:  Cobra King SZ (3; Regular); Ping G410 (5; Regular)

Hybrids: Ping G410 (22º and 26º; Regular)

Irons: Cleveland Launcher XL (6-U)

Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 (54º/12º), and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 (58º/8º)

Putter:  Ping Karsten Anser X