Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

Do Tip Adapters Wear Out?

I have been doing some driver testing.  All of a sudden one of my most trustworthy shafts is yielding spinny slicey shots on any swing with some effort behind it.  This is very uncharacteristic for this shaft, and if I hit the same heads with similar shafts I do not experience the same thing.

I began to fault the grip.  But it looks and feels brand new, and is solidly attached to the shaft (or so it seems).

Yet it almost feels like there is slippage on impact.  

The adapter is showing some wear on the upper cog.  See the pic below. 

Adapter.jpg.ee76627716cdc8b545677c0fcad97e14.jpg

The adapter is not swiveling on the head in its entirety; the epoxy still holds.  Any chance the adapter cog is allowing the head to turn open a bit at impact based on this wear and tear?  Or am I crazy blaming the club/adapter and not my swing?  I don't think I am crazy.  (But then, most loonies don't . . ..)

I plan to pull the adapter and replace it and see if that fixes the problem.  If that doesn't work, I will replace the grip.  If those together don't fix it, only the loon can be to blame.

Nonetheless, I am curious if anyone else has experienced this and was able to identify the adapter as the problem.

P.S.  Yes, I know the cogs are not locked together in the photo, and no, I did not try to attach a head with the adapter in this configuration.

Edited by IndyBonzo

Working at getting better ... and very slowly getting there.

•  :callaway-small: Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8* (:accra:  Shogun Blue M0 Otto-Phlex)
  •  :taylormade-small: Brnr Mini driver 13.5* (:accra: FX 3.0 140 M1 Otto-Phlex)
  • :callaway-small: Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids
  •  Maltby TS3 (4-8)/TS4 (9-PW)/TS1 (GW) (shafts:  :projectx: LZ 6.0)
  • :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (:projectx: wedge shafts 6.5)
  • :L.A.B.: DF 2.1 (BTG shaft)
  • :redrooster: Gloves

My Official 2024 TaylorMade Qi10 Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62804-taylormade-qi10-drivers-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1014200

My Official 2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

@IndyBonzo Perhaps.

Over the years I’ve either experienced personally or witnessed hosel adapters fail to seat properly, tighten completely or catastrophically fail.

The types of failures that I’ve seen include epoxy failures, adapters breaking, screws breaking, screw or adapter threads getting worn, cross threaded or damaged, adapters with movable cogs like Callaway and Titleist getting worn and/or damaged, and shaft breakage at the adapter. 

I’ve also seen golfers tighten the screw too tight or not tight enough which caused problems.

Occasionally adapters will get dirt or corrosion on them and the head will not seat properly, tighten completely or even get stuck on the adapter after unscrewing the bolt.  This can lead to all kinds of panicked attempts by golfers to rectify the situation often making things worse in the process.

Some adapter screws have o-rings or stop washers on them to help seal and prevent loss of the screw.  They are small and easy to misplace or lose.

More than once I’ve seen people quickly try and make adjustments at the range or on the course and lose or break something rendering their club inoperable.

When in doubt go slow, use the right tools, take things apart in an environment where parts are less likely to be lost, clean everything up and try again.

Cobra LTDx LS 9.0 TPT Power Range 18 LO

Cobra LTDx 3W lofted to 16.5 TPT 17 HI

Tour Edge E723 21 degree Diamana Thump f85 S

Cobra LTDx 24 degree 5 hybrid TPT 17 LO

Corey Paul - 5 & 6 CB with KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff Black

Corey Paul 7 - PW Japan Forged Minimalist Blades KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff Chrome

Corey Paul Functional Art 52, 56 & 60 all with BGT ZNE shafts

Odyssey O Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour Shaft, SuperStroke Traxion 3.0 & 75g CounterCore

Bridgestone Tour BRX or MaxFli Tour

Tracked by Arccos, Bushnell V4, Vessel Lux XV 2.0 bag, Bag Boy quad XL cart with Alphard V2 wheels

Helpful.   Thank you.

Working at getting better ... and very slowly getting there.

•  :callaway-small: Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8* (:accra:  Shogun Blue M0 Otto-Phlex)
  •  :taylormade-small: Brnr Mini driver 13.5* (:accra: FX 3.0 140 M1 Otto-Phlex)
  • :callaway-small: Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids
  •  Maltby TS3 (4-8)/TS4 (9-PW)/TS1 (GW) (shafts:  :projectx: LZ 6.0)
  • :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (:projectx: wedge shafts 6.5)
  • :L.A.B.: DF 2.1 (BTG shaft)
  • :redrooster: Gloves

My Official 2024 TaylorMade Qi10 Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62804-taylormade-qi10-drivers-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1014200

My Official 2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042