That’s what I was thinking…

Driver - Ping G410+ LA golf 65S

3wood - Ping G400 Aldia green 75S

5 wood - Ping G410 Aldia 75S

4-pw Iron - TM M3 steel fiber  i110

Ping Glide 3.0 - 50, 54, 58 Nippon 115

Odyssey O-Works 2-ball

ProV1x

Largely on the positive reviews, I scheduled and went to a fitting with PXG yesterday to specifically try the new gen 7 irons.  In a word, they are very impressive indeed.  I can certainly see what all the fuss is about. 

Initial impressions: Good looking irons with good feel.  Hot face and long.  Its almost as if the ball explodes off the face. The fitter did a great and thorough job.  I was pleased to see they offered a great selection of shafts with MMT, Recoil and Accra being the top choices.  Now, I've had my Mizuno hot metal pro's in the bag for 4 plus years and this includes two shaft changes as well as the usual loft and lie adjustments.   On a yearly basis, I test the equipment I'm interested in to see if I can make any improvements or tweaks to my bag.  I need to see a definite improvement before I make the change to replace.  So in the case of my irons, I specifically wanted approximately the same distance (carry/total) but with more height, a better land angle and slightly better spin.  Hitting my distances with minimal dispersion is my primary goal.  Secondary considerations are improved feel.  I prefer the softer feel of forged.  The only knock I have on my current Mizuno's is the feel.  There not as soft feeling as the forged version, but the performance has been outstanding.  So what did the data show.  The Mizuno trackman numbers were from the day before doing a gapping session, hitting ten shots with each iron.  The averages matched what I saw in the fitting when I did my baseline numbers with the Mizuno's.

image.png.3efbd6fd6d4f80c3cab9c0831b90e8cc.png  

After much back and forth with the MMT and Accra shafts,  I was ultimately fitted with the MMT shaft (stiff), (0.5” longer, standard loft and 1 degree flat) with midsize grips.  They were very consistent as I value being able to hit my distances with good dispersion.  Club head (80-82) and ball speed a tick up and consistently in the 110-115 mph range.  More importantly, height, land angle and spin were where you need them to be.  Club path was typically 0.5 to -0.5, height was typically at 80-85 feet, matching my clubhead speed.  Hot face and long. Maybe too long.   I was hitting the 7 iron on average 170 yard carry and 180 total which is 10-15 yards (a club length) longer than my Mizuno’s.  To be honest, I was somewhat surprised and shocked to be hitting a 7 iron 180 yards.   As I result, I will have to look at my gapping closely especially in the transition from PW to specialty TM MG4 wedges (48*, 54* and 58*).  I also tried the T model, not as hot or consistent, but more height and spin.  The secret star in the fitting experience, their sugar daddy 3 wedges. Forged, soft feel with good spin.  A sweet wedge.  Pricing was also surprisingly good, especially with the Lucky 7 option.   I particularly liked the black finish as well.

image.png.d2e89c4bbbe5f414daeb08e05c00692b.png

So did I pull the trigger?  Not yet, primarily as I have maybe 2, possibly 3 weeks left in my outdoor season, so I'm not in a rush. I also know Mizuno, Srixon and Titleist will be releasing their new irons in a few months early in the new year.  So as tempting as it is, I most likely will be patient.  I will wait for the new releases and then do a full iron fitting.  Right now though, the PXG gen 7 P irons are at the top of the list, followed closely by the new Callaway Apex Ti fusion irons.  The latter, also has an eye watering price at $300 US ($400 Cdn) per club. 

Overall, I was very impressed how well the PXG gen 7 P irons performed.  Hot face, long, very consistent and a very good price to match.  They were significantly better than the gen 6 irons, specifically in terms of feel and performance.  PXG has done a really nice job with these irons.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2 plus, LA golf DJ shaft, 55S

3 wood - TM Stealth plus, Mitsubishi Kai’li. Blue, 5 wood - TM Stealth plus,  Hzrdus red, 3 hybrid Mizuno CLK, Fuji pro

Irons (5-PW) - Mizuno 921 HMP, Accra IS 80

Wedges, TM MG4 SB 48*/09*, HB 54*/13*, TW 60*/11*, Accra ICWT 95 M4

Putter: L.A.B. DF3, TPT shaft, pistol grip

Bag: Vessel Cobra tour stand bag

Balls: Titleist ProV1x, Callaway Chrome soft X LS, Bridgestone Tour B XS or Srixon Z star Diamond

Tech: Arccos, Bushnell Pro XE rangefinder image.jpeg.6421bf4c3e32ba5a27f4fe57d0571222.jpeg