PGA Tour 2024 - Wyndham Championship

Splatt

G’day golfers,

This week we’re teeing it up at the Wyndham Championship, the final regular season event before the FedEx Cup play offs start next week.

There’s still time to get some final points and make it to next week for those just outside the line.

wyn1.webp.65f504328f46754ad03fc09c3840560d.webp

The Wyndham Championship is played at Sedgefield Country Club, a par 70, 7,131 yards course of Ross design. It was originally opened in the 1920’s and despite it’s small greens it has seen the winning be 20 under or lower for the last 6 or 7 seasons. It was lengthened in 2007 and has held the Wyndham Championship every year since 2008.

wyn3.png.bf7ff58595178d1145fc3e7c7b624d3a.png

Last year Tom Kim shined here and became the first player born after the year 2000 to win on the PGA Tour (wow, that makes me feel old!)
Kim definitely didn’t make things easy on himself by opening the week with a quadruple-bogey 8, but he finished the week in style with a final round 61 to win by 5!!

wyn6.webp.1cfbba177759c6f67a7028279b87a1e6.webp

Rather than looking at the field highlights this week, I though we’d focus on some golfers just outside of the top 70 and currently missing out on the FedEx Cup Play Offs next week.

·         Victor Perez – Ranked 71st. Perez was inside the top-70 but he didn’t play last week which saw him fall outside of play off cut line. A made cut this week should net him enough points to trickle into the top-70.

·         David Riley – Ranked 72nd. Riley was 70th last week and made the cut last week at the 3M Open, but a T-46 finish saw him slide to 72nd. He’s has a mixed season with a win under his belt, but also a nearly 50% cut rate. The number of missed cuts has really taken the shine from that win.

·         Andrew Putnam – Ranked 73rd. Putnam finished T-19 last week at the 3M Open and managed to rise the ranks 1 spot. He’ll need a much better finish than T-19 if he wants to be playing golf next week

·         Kurt Kitayama – Ranked 74th. Kitayama rose 4 places from last week with a T-6 finish at the 3M Open. He’ll need something similar if he’s to play next week.

·         Luke List – Ranked 75th. List has been free falling down the FedEx Cup leaderboard with 4 missed cuts in a row. That makes 11 missed cuts in 21 events. He was 71st prior to the 3M Open, it’ll take something special from here for him to make it.

·         Lucas Glover – Ranked 76th. Glover was 72nd last week, but a missed cut in his last 2 events (The Open and the Scottish Open) didn’t help his cause.

The field can be found here

wyn5.webp.50d716e4397074810ec5f2badcf0a194.webp

Golfers, that’s it from me. I’ll be back next week with a look at the FedEx St. Jude Championship.

SPLATT

Driver: :cobra-small: Speedzone 9.5 degree (love this club)
Hybrid - :cobra-small: RadSpeed 3 Hyrbid
Irons - :vice: VGI02 5I to SW - 2024 MGS test
Wedges -  :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 58 degree
Putter -  :L.A.B.: - MEZZ.1 MAX - 2023 MGS TEST
Ball - :bridgestone-small: E6 (stands for 3-putt apparently)

What a weird tournament. Delayed a day. Couple of 60s. Kuch in the lead to keep the playoffs streak alive. Greyersman implosion. The guy everyone bashes on for the double gloves and iron headcovers getting the win. Round technically isn't complete because Kuch walked off course and will finish tomorrow.

6 hours ago, tchat07 said:

What a weird tournament. Delayed a day. Couple of 60s. Kuch in the lead to keep the playoffs streak alive. Greyersman implosion. The guy everyone bashes on for the double gloves and iron headcovers getting the win. Round technically isn't complete because Kuch walked off course and will finish tomorrow.

Don't forget Cam Young still putting himself at the top of the leaderboard for the weekend and just playing the most average golf the last two rounds. Also, Billy Ho putting together good tournaments and a knows how to win. Is he close to getting another W? Plays well this time of year.

Driver: Calloway Hawk

3-wood: Taylormade SLDR

4 Hybrid - Pitching Wedge: Cobra F7

52 Wedge: Cleveland

56 Wedge: Cleveland

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Blade

On 8/12/2024 at 3:17 AM, tchat07 said:

I never cut him down for the iron covers or the two gloves. I told the wife after he won that there will be a run on iron covers and FJ rain gloves at the PGASS and DSG Monday morning

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Speeder 565 R flex- - 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R---- Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex steel shafts--- SW -- Cleveland 588 56* S-400 Sensicore --- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe Fluted Bulls Eye shaft--- Bag TM Flex Lite Stand---- Yeah I know only 11 clubs 

G

31 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

I never cut him down for the iron covers or the two gloves. I told the wife after he won that there will be a run on iron covers and FJ rain gloves at the PGASS and DSG Monday morning

Plenty of people did. Though now that more actually know his reasoning behind the iron covers I think some will have changed there tune. You're very right though, I am sure Sales are up. 

10 minutes ago, tchat07 said:

Plenty of people did. Though now that more actually know his reasoning behind the iron covers I think some will have changed there tune. You're very right though, I am sure Sales are up. 

There most certainly is this weird stigma around iron covers. Personally, I don't care for them but I also don't care if others use them. I honestly think it's more odd to have the two gloves than the iron covers. 

12 hours ago, jasonbarker94 said:

There most certainly is this weird stigma around iron covers. Personally, I don't care for them but I also don't care if others use them. I honestly think it's more odd to have the two gloves than the iron covers. 

I also have no real opinion on them, I wouldn't use them for sheer laziness of not wanting to take them on and off. As for the 2 gloves I cannot say a thing I went through a phase in my "early" golf career (late 20s) where I wore two gloves AND they weren't rain ones either. Now I'm a no glove guy so I guess I've matured haha.

16 minutes ago, tchat07 said:

I also have no real opinion on them, I wouldn't use them for sheer laziness of not wanting to take them on and off. As for the 2 gloves I cannot say a thing I went through a phase in my "early" golf career (late 20s) where I wore two gloves AND they weren't rain ones either. Now I'm a no glove guy so I guess I've matured haha.

I’ve done the no glove too but then my grips wear down and I need the glove 😂