Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

"Merritt Badge!" 5 Questions With Quicken Loans Champ Troy Merritt

GolfSpy Barbajo

MERRITT 5 Q's.jpg

Up until a couple of weeks ago, most people only knew PGA Touring Pro Troy Merritt as the guy who stoved in the face of his utility iron break during a tournament. Well, Troy changed all that with a tournament record tying 61 on Friday at the RCB Heritage Classic at Hilton Head a couple of weeks ago. 

Troy stayed in contention over the weekend, but ultimately lost out to a gutsy performance by Jim Furyk. Troy is a rarity on Tour, having grown up in “northern climes.” His gutsy performance at the RBC has moved him up in the FedEx Cup race to 73rd place as of this morning, and Troy is currently the 158th ranked player in the world. 

2015_ Merrit_Profile.jpg

Along with his 3rd place finish in the RBC, Troy also has a 6th place finish to his credit at the Valspar Championship, as well as a 2nd place finish in last year's FedEx St. Jude's Classic.

We're very psyched to have Troy join MyGolfSpy this morning in this week's edition of “5 Questions.”

MyGolfSpy 5 Questions: First off, congrats on a great performance at the RBC, and for that clutch eagle on 16!  When you look at the tournament, with a season-best 3rd place finish, do you feel disappointment at not ‘sealing the deal,” or do you think you're getting closer to that first tour victory?  What do you learn from coming close?

Troy Merritt:  I don't feel much disappointment about not winning the RBC Heritage event because if you told me I would have had the lead going into the weekend and shot 69-69 on Saturday and Sunday, I would be very happy!  

I learned that to win down the road I need to lead by 10 going into Sunday! (hahaha) However, it is good to know I can handle the spotlight with the lead on Saturday and Sunday and I am looking forward to the next time I get in contention.

CC0eVMmUEAE_RKe.jpg-large.jpg

MGS 5Q's: How does it feel to one-up the newly crowned Master's Champ? He shoots a 62 and you go out and tie a tournament record 61! Did you know you were going that low during the round? What was it like ‘in the moment?' Does the game slow down for your during a round like that?

TM: I really don't think I ‘one-upped' Jordan, and I am pretty sure he still has me one-upped at this point with the Green Jacket!  I do believe everything slowed down on Friday during my 61 and I was very focused on each shot at hand and I was very comfortable.

troy-merritt-sony_t780.jpg

MGS 5Q's: You were raised in Iowa have Minnesota roots, graduating from Spring Lake Park High School and playing 2 years at Winona State University. We love our golf up here, but it seems like there are only two seasons – winter and bad ice fishing. How did you hone your game growing up?

TM: I was born in Iowa, but actually raised in Idaho before moving to Minnesota in 9th grade.  Playing golf in Minnesota is a lot different than playing golf in the warm climates and I learned to play in all types of different weather.

I was always playing in cold weather and I had my fair share of rounds in the snow. There were certainly limited playing opportunities in Minnesota and not many junior tournaments around.  I played basketball and golf in high school and was later able to walk on the golf team at Winona State.

troy.jpg

MGS 5Q's: You joined Wilson Staff early this year – how did you get hooked up with Wilson? What do you look for when selecting equipment? Lots of folks think it's just about the endorsement money, but what goes into choosing an OEM to partner with?

TM: I was very fortunate to have a few equipment companies talk to my agent about a new staff deal for me for the 2015 season, but after a few conversations with my agent and some testing with different equipment...it was very clear that Wilson Golf was the perfect home for me.  

I am extremely impressed with the Wilson Staff clubs I have in my bag and it is a great feeling to know that I have such a fantastic company supporting my career and me.  

As for the endorsement money, my agent and I had a deal that we wouldn't even talk about the financial consideration from different equipment companies and that we should focus on getting the best possible clubs in my bag without knowing the money involved.  

It didn't take me long to realize that Wilson Golf had the best product and I am thrilled I had the opportunity to partner with Wilson Staff and their leader, Tim Clarke.

MERRIT_531412051_2_hires.jpg

MGS 5Q's: Putting is a strength of your game – you currently rank 4th on tour in Strokes Gained Putting. What goes into success on the green? What other parts of your game need to develop to crack the top 50 in the world?

TM: I feel like putting is a strength of mine because I stay confident and patient and I make sure I don't line up until I am completely ready.  

I don't have any real putting drills and I really just try and keep it simple.  

For me to crack inside the Top 50 in the world, it will be very important that I maintain tempo in my golf swing throughout an entire tournament.  I was able to control my tempo in Hilton Head and I had a very strong finish.

Thanks for joining us, Troy. Best of luck in the coming months!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Love this feature!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• 3 months later...

Thought it'd be a good idea to resurrect this little nugget - after another 61 and holding on to win!

Merritt Wins First PGA TOUR Tournament- FINAL.jpg

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Archived