Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Matrix RUL - Shaft Review

Matt Saternus

Matrix RUL Shaft Review

RUL (7).JPG

Introduction

With their new RUL series, Matrix is promising a shaft that is not only straighter than your current gamer, but longer, too. Upon hearing this, I knew I had to get one to test against my longtime gamer. Many challengers have danced with the champ, but so far none have knocked him out. Will that change? Read on, spies…

RUL (18).JPG

Notes, Feel, and Miscellaneous

Let's start with feel: the RUL has a very smooth load and kick through the ball with a clear hinge near the middle of the shaft. I prefer for my driver shaft to have some kick, but I don't like to feel that softness too near the tip, so the RUL suits my tastes very well in that regard.

As far as the look of the shaft, it's a bold orangey-gold color that definitely has some eye-candy appeal. My only disappointment with the looks (actually, the only disappointing thing about the shaft period) is that Matrix has gone away from the full-length “rain” graphics. Instead, the rain graphics are shrunken to only appear around the main logo. I can understand the change, some people may have found the graphics distracting, but it was always one of my favorite things about Matrix.

Matrix does offer the RUL in many different flavors to suit every game. In terms of flex, it is available in everything from regular to XX-Stiff and the weights offered are 50, 60, 70, or 80 grams.

The final note I will offer is about the technology. Matrix informed me that the RUL uses Assymetric Crossply Technology (ACT), and that this technology is totally unique to the RUL line. The benefit of this technology is that it helps the shaft to recover (not sag or droop) prior to impact and also increases tip velocity. Simply put: it makes the shaft longer and straighter.

RUL (2).JPG

Performance

As usual, I've broken the Performance section into two pieces: Data (launch monitor testing) and Real World (range and course). For the launch monitor testing, I put the RUL up against my Diamana Kaili (70g), both in an R9 460 9.5 head. I hit 10 “good” shots with each shaft, changing frequently so that fatigue was not an issue, nor did I get grooved with one shaft to the detriment of fairness. I went through this process three times and averaged the two sets of data. I did the testing of the RUL at the same time as the testing of the Miyazaki Kusala Indigo, so all three sets of data can be compared.

For anyone interested in the swing that produces these numbers: my clubhead speed is usually between 100MPH and 110MPH, my biggest problem is getting quick/out of sync from the top, and my miss tends to be a block right.

DATA

*Each metric shows low, average, and high. For dispersion and sidespin, L represents left or hook spin, R represents right or slice spin.

RUL: Ball speed: 158 Distance: 269-276-297 Launch Angle: 10.2-13-16.2

Backspin: 1652-1850-3000 Sidespin: 350 Dispersion: 14L-3R-17R

Kaili: Ball speed: 158 Distance: 257-278-293 Launch Angle: 9.0-12.3-13.9

Backspin: 1500-2372-3100 Sidespin: 260 Dispersion: 12L-6R-30R

ANALYSIS

The most important thing for my game is that the RUL eliminated my “big right” miss. Admittedly, that miss is my fault, not the shaft's, but if equipment can help to save some bad swings, I will game it. Since ball speed was equal, you would, correctly, expect that the average distance was very close (2 yards different). The one notable difference was that my shortest ball with the RUL was 12 yards longer than my shortest with the Kaili (more on this later). Overall, I felt that the consistency of the RUL was a bit better with higher launch and lower spin.

REAL WORLD RESULTS

I was able to bring the RUL down to Dallas for a couple of rounds plus one good range session. Two things stuck out to me:

1) The RUL does not seem to put as much sidespin on the ball as the Kaili. This runs contrary to the launch monitor data (though 100 RPMs is not a big difference), but it is what I saw. Most shots with the Kaili had a little tail to the right or left where the RUL tended to be straighter.

2) The RUL gave me great distance out of sloppy hits. While in Dallas, I had some truly ugly swings where I felt like I barely got the club on the ball (usually low on the face or on the toe). I drove out into the fairway fully expecting to have hit it barely 200 yards, but always found it in the 225-230 range. On a long hole, that's the difference between having a realistic shot to the green and “hit and hope.”

RUL (15).JPG

Value

The RUL is set to retail at $325. As I've said in almost every shaft review to date, this is obviously not for everyone. That said, you can clearly see that the shaft performs beautifully, and if it's a match for your swing, it's well worth the money.

RUL (17).JPG

Conclusion

So, did the RUL knockout the champ? Yes. The RUL was straighter, more consistent, and had a feel that I prefer over the Kaili. I can't guarantee that the RUL is in the bag yet (more on this coming soon), but it is one of two contenders for full-time gaming come summer. If you're in the market for a new driver or want to upgrade your current gamer, take a long, hard look at the Matrix RUL.

VISIT WEBSITE: http://www.matrixshafts.com/

FOLLOW ON TWITTER: https://twitter.com/...#!/MatrixShafts

FOLLOW ON FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook...afts/8619029061

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• 3 weeks later...

Did you ever get a chance to play the Code series? IMO this is an excellent evoulution of that line. Takes the great feeling and ball speed of Code's and uses the ASM tech to tighten the dispersion, since dispertion, other then the hinge feeling, is really the only complaint one could have about the past line.

I'm not a huge fan of the gold colouring but this is a really good shaft. I expect that since it's the TP option in the RBZ line we're going to have a lot of people jump on this shaft with great results as well.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Archived