Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

Number of Testers
Signup Cutoff Date:
4,012 signups
Equipment Type: irons
Vendor: PXG

Testers Wanted

TWFeature.jpg

MyGolfSpy Forum is thrilled to announce a new release testing opportunity from PXG. This is the first time PXG has ever participated in member testing, and there couldn't be a better product than their newly announced Gen 7 irons and Black Ops irons.

About PXG

It’s no surprise that PXG is a polarizing brand. Since their inception in 2013, they have been bold and, for some, brash. The evolution of PXG has been fascinating to follow as they transitioned from a boutique, high-priced, exclusive brand to a company offering a range of options with price points that will suit most, if not all, golfers.

PXG places significant focus on fitting, ensuring customers have the proper products to get the best performance from their game. This is evident with their various in-store fitting options (at PXG-specific or partner stores) and the option of over-the-phone fittings.

PXG also offers their PXG for Heroes program, which provides first looks, discounts, and more for active duty, veterans, first responders, and law enforcement personnel. It is a “Thank You” to all those who have served and is a core pillar of the brand.

0311P.jpg

The PXG Perception

As mentioned earlier, PXG is a polarizing brand. This was evident in the 2022 Brand Perception Survey done by MyGolfSpy, where results were varied. PXG ranked high with related words such as Modern, Premium, Engineering, and Innovation, while also ranking high with less positive keywords such as Hype, Follower, and Gimmick.

When brands are louder, there will be more people on each side of the fence, compared to those straddling it, which is why these results are not surprising.

This brings us to a key point: does it matter? If a product performs or outperforms what is in your bag, will it, or can it, change your perception? Could it make some of those negative associations fade away?

BlackOps.jpg

The Testing Opportunity

We are looking for six golfers to test, review, and keep a set of PXG Gen 7 irons or PXG Black Ops irons. We will be selecting three for each, and while we have no specifications or further details to share with you (those will be released soon), we are thrilled to provide this early opportunity to our members.

What is your brand bias towards PXG? Do you think it will make you the perfect tester?

Let us know!

0311XP.jpg

*This testing opportunity is open to registered forum members in North America.
*Registration closes August 4.
*Testers will be announced August 6.

393 Comments

Last year, I purchased a set of PXG 0211 irons for my wife. She enjoyed the fitting and has been thrilled with the clubs.  They have genuinely added distance and trajectory to her approach shots.  I use TaylorMade P790s and would welcome the opportunity to test the Gen7 clubs.  PXG is an interesting brand.  Through iterations of brilliant marketing, they have carefully managed to create an almost cult-like following.  They were able to masterfully navigate the necessary realignment from an exclusive, "I paid a fortune for PXG clubs because I only play the finest irons... even though I'm a 16 handicap!" brand, to a more friendly and accessible mark.  That's what sold me on buying the 0211s as my wife's birthday present.  I'd love a shot at testing the Gen 7 clubs and turning my household into an "all PXG" home.      

This is awesome! Never have thought about playing PXG clubs since you HAVE to be fitted for them or just buy them straight online without hitting any. Interested to see how these will compare to my gamer irons with offer some great forgiveness. Would love the chance here with the one. Way to go MGS crew amazing testing as always!

I would love to try these against the t350 I just got.  Before I decided on those (a lot based on some of the comments and reviews I found here) I debated hitting up the PXG in Boston for a fitting I helped a friend of mine look at used clubs and he settled on some sed pxgs and he has loved them and I do enjoy the looks of them.

53 minutes ago, Javs said:

Interesting that you couldn’t generate spin off the Gen 5’s. I owned a set and found them very easy to flight and hold greens. Glad the P790’s work for you.

The PXG 7-iron was approx 1200 less spin rate when testing the P790 7-iron. I am at altitude so spin rate is already decreased so losing 1200 more rpms of spin vs the P790s was the reason for the change.  

PXG! Let's GOOOOO! I've been playing 0311's for a few months, and my game has improved dramatically! I would love an opportunity to try the newest set!

Is it all hype? There is only one way to know for sure. A side by side comparison will be the only way to validate the claims of the polarizing brand!

59 minutes ago, SANDBGGR said:

The PXG 7-iron was approx 1200 less spin rate when testing the P790 7-iron. I am at altitude so spin rate is already decreased so losing 1200 more rpms of spin vs the P790s was the reason for the change.  

I can understand your decision. I just didn’t have an issue with the spin when I played them. Everyone’s game is different and the clubs that do or don’t fit that game. I just didn’t have that issue at all with any of the PXG irons I played. 

I've never thought that PXG irons would be a viable solution to my golf game. I've been happy with my super forgiving Callaway Big Bertha Irons. Looking at PXG's website, they claim that their Gen 6 Irons are supposed to be the most forgiving irons on the market. I would seriously like to test and compare these irons against my Big Bertha's.

I can't seem to find much info on the Gen 7's and the Black Ops Irons, so not sure which model is their most forgiving. 

5 minutes ago, digitaltexan said:

I've never thought that PXG irons would be a viable solution to my golf game. I've been happy with my super forgiving Callaway Big Bertha Irons. Looking at PXG's website, they claim that their Gen 6 Irons are supposed to be the most forgiving irons on the market. I would seriously like to test and compare these irons against my Big Bertha's.

I can't seem to find much info on the Gen 7's and the Block Ops Irons, so not sure which model is their most forgiving. 

I've had to revert to using my original Big Bertha irons once again. I would love to test these PXG irons against my old set. I believe it would make for an intriguing comparison and an exciting experience

This is an awesome opportunity! I stepped onto the PXG wagon a couple years back when I got a gen4 driver on sale. That club still gives me confidence when I pull it. Never had an opportunity to try their irons, but I'd love to see how they perform against my aging 716 AP2's.

I've never hit PXG irons, but I have hit their drivers and the Gen6 is a great driver.  Didn't feel that the Black Ops had the same feel as the Gen6 and I couldn't hit it as well.  Would love the opportunity to try out the irons, especially to compare them to the STIX irons that I've been using (and have grown to love and hit well).  Good luck everyone.

2 hours ago, Zgrabby11 said:

This is awesome! Never have thought about playing PXG clubs since you HAVE to be fitted for them or just buy them straight online without hitting any. Interested to see how these will compare to my gamer irons with offer some great forgiveness. Would love the chance here with the one. Way to go MGS crew amazing testing as always!

A penguins fan in red wing country, oh yeah. The penguins have always been my favorite over the Steelers and pirates hopefully they can make the playoffs again. 

13 hours ago, OCMONKEY said:

Although I once thought of PXG as tricked out game improvement irons. I have since changed and appreciate many of the designs and innovations. I’ve seen many tour players and solid players out on the course gaming PXG clubs and I’m intrigued and eager to see for myself. 

PXG just opened a store in Hunting Beach, just down the street from me and I’ve been tempted to go check them out. 

Completely OT but of great interest to me.  Is the Marie Calanders on Brookhurst still there? 

Many, i mean Many years ago it was at least a twice weekly stop on the way home for me, as i lived at the very end of Brookhurst..

Now back to the awesome PXG opportunity 

4 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Completely OT but of great interest to me.  Is the Marie Calanders on Brookhurst still there? 

Many, i mean Many years ago it was at least a twice weekly stop on the way home for me, as i lived at the very end of Brookhurst..

Now back to the awesome PXG opportunity 

Unfortunately it closed down a couple years ago.. a shame it was always busy too 

I have been gaming Mizuno irons for over 40 years and the PXGs would definitely be a change. The question is do these clubs perform as advertised, who can benefit from them, or are they just the latest shiny new thing in the bag?

Have a good friend who switched to PXG going from Eye2's.  He loves them.   While I agree their marketing has been 'off the hook' in your face, it has been one that makes them memorable.  To jump into the MGS testing pool - will it be sink or swim for PXG.  No doubt it will be one for the record books for comparison to the other OEMS as well as DTC markets.  

I wasn't a fan of PXG due to the expensive boutique approach to club manufacturing.  Their ads were annoying with the loud yelling and I couldn't take them seriously.

Then I started to see them more and more around the club, friends who are pretty good golfers are gaming them.  I have a PXG store within a few miles of the house, so I went over and checked them out in person.  I was genuinely impressed with the staff and their knowledge of their products.  Top it off with the outstanding military support and they've started to win me over.  I picked up a patriotic PXG bucket hat and wear it often, I'd love to have a set of clubs to match, lol!!

I'd be estatic to check them out for myself!

-- Peejer

1 hour ago, OCMONKEY said:

Unfortunately it closed down a couple years ago.. a shame it was always busy too 

Ah bummer. But it had a good run, it was the late 80’s when i lived there. 

Living near the Twin Cities I have thought about getting fitted for PXG in the past, but have been swayed by friends to stick with the main brands. Would be a great testing opportunity for anyone and can’t wait to read the reviews l. 

I'm getting fitted for irons tomorrow. I'll have to wait to order to see if I get picked.

This Test is now closed to further comments.