Testers Wanted: Precision Pro Titan Elite Rangefinder ×

Number of Testers
Signup Cutoff Date:
3,120 signups
Equipment Type: Irons
Vendor: MacGregor

MacGregor Golf is back and has a new line of irons by way of the MT86 OS Irons and MT86 Pro Irons

Screenshot 2023-03-12 15.35.01.png

We can trace our roots all the way back to 1829, with the founders of the company, a pair of English immigrants and expert woodworkers, opening a factory in Dayton OH.

The company initially started as a producer of hand carved wooden shoe lasts, pioneering a new lathe-based technique for producing lasts faster and more accurately than anyone around.

From 1875 to 1897, the company began a transformation. Two new partners were brought on; John McGregor, an expat from St Andrews, Scotland and a die-hard golfer, as well as Edward Canby, who soon became obsessed with the game.

In 1897, the partnership began the manufacture of traditional golf shafts and clubs, one of America's very first club manufacturers.

MacGregor clubs proved popular with both professionals and amateurs alike, with hundreds of thousands of clubs being sold around the world.

The company emerged from the Great Depression with new ownership and management, who sought the services of the legendary Tommy Armour, who in turn brought his assistant Toney Penna, and tour pros Jimmy Demaret, Byron Nelson and Ben Hogan. This was a formidable team; during the 1950s, MacGregor was the number one club and ball on tour. 

A period of innovation and growth followed which led the company to its most iconic partnership with Jack Nicklaus. Besides dominating on the course, Mr. Nicklaus was heavily involved with the management and direction of the company, and even ended up owning the company and bringing stability after a period of mismanagement. 

image.png

Since conception, MacGregor clubs have been used to win an incredible 59 majors in the hands and bags of all time greats like Jack Nicklaus and Greg Norman.

Now, though our pedigree runs nearly two centuries, our approach is thoroughly modern. Uncompromising quality shipped direct to the consumer for simply unbeatable prices. We're here to put the MacGregor back on the map, and truly make it The Greatest Name in Golf once more.

image.png

We are looking for 4 Forum Testers (2 OS & 2 Pro) to test and keep these incredible irons!

This test is open to RH and US only Forum Members

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

New to the Forum? Interested in how we select our testers and want to increase your opportunity at being selected in this or future tests? READ MORE HERE!

153 Comments

Beautiful clubs. My late grandfather always played MacGregor. Happy to see them back in the mix! Golf is better with MacGregor on the tour. Would love to test these.

These clubs look unreal. Hopefully the performance matches the looks! Very interested to see how these produce on the course!!!

To be honest I didn't even realize that McGregor still made clubs. This muscle backs look fantastic! I wouldn't mind trying out these beauty's. 

These are very beautiful irons. I like the older style (I play Ben hogans from 2016) and these give me that same excited feeling those did back then.

I had wanted a set of MacGregors when Golfsmith had them as a House brand--when I was ready, Golfsmith had been absorbed into another retailer...wasn't very lucky back then...hopefully I might get luckier now.  However, it seems that nobody except existing testers have a chance to be testers...

My current set of irons, TaylorMade Speedblades are getting old, have wondered what new technology would do for my game. 

Had my first set of MT irons when I was 18. Black inserts and hit a mile. Got MT woods shortly thereafter. Loved all those MacGregors. Play 3 times a week now. Would cherish the chance to play them again!

With such a rich history of making, and winning with these superb clubs I'd be honored to be evaluating the Pro set and giving honest and in depth feedback.

Would love to test these against my ironical MT iron sets , one my fathers (rip) one mine.  I play Miura now so I’ll test against those as well.  Thanks for opportunity.  Scratch ( at 70 now more itch than game) 

On 6/8/2023 at 11:14 AM, Thin2win said:

I love the history and the pedigree of MacGregor, here is hoping they can find a good spark and find a spot like Wilson has recently. 

LGLG MGS and MacGregor

Also,  can't find these on the MacGregor website. 🤔

100% agree with you. 

The first ever golf ball I hit was with my father's MacGregor irons. Hopefully this will bring them back on the scene and they could become true competition for the other brands again.

On 6/10/2023 at 12:50 PM, bradmeehan said:

Pick me! Pick me! This is a dream club for me. I restored a MacGregor M75 Colokrom on my YouTube channel and the shape of that winged back iron is gorgeous. It would be fun to review this comeback club!

20220816_120850.jpg.c6dd1628a3db4979d3d59995f933fad6.jpg

This is amazing! Can you send a link to your youtube channel? I would love to see how this all worked.  I have my grandfathers old set of Wilson Staff Dynapower's that I would love to do something similar to.

44 minutes ago, DeBartola_B said:

This is amazing! Can you send a link to your youtube channel? I would love to see how this all worked.  I have my grandfathers old set of Wilson Staff Dynapower's that I would love to do something similar to.

Thank you. Please look for Brad Meehan Golf on youtube. (There are rules around self promotion on this forum that I want to be respectful of.)

13 minutes ago, bradmeehan said:

Thank you. Please look for Brad Meehan Golf on youtube. (There are rules around self promotion on this forum that I want to be respectful of.)

Thanks, I will check it out!

What beautiful forging!  Love the look of these.  MacGregor were in my father's bag for a long time when I was a kid.  I remember the pure sound when he would flush one.  I'm glad to see them making a comeback.  

Put my hat in the ring for these! 👍 

New to the forum, but thought I'd throw my hat in the ring. If the OS set is a super game improvement style that would certainly suit my game haha. Good luck everyone!

With the reemergence of Wilson and how they have managed to get back into the upper echelons of the golf world, could these Macgregor irons set the path for them to get back into the bags of tour pros? What number of players will stick with the chalk brands, and what number will see the brand’s history as enough proof in the pudding to give them a chance? As I TaylorMade guy myself, I can’t wait to get my hands on the MT86 Pro. 

I recently got my hands on a V-foil 4 iron from Play It Again Sports, and I instantly fell in love with its amazing feel and forgiveness. It was so good that I wanted to keep it in my bag, but I ended up giving it to my brother to help him with his long irons.

Can we just take a moment to appreciate how incredible these irons look? They effortlessly combine a classic style with innovative elements. I recently reached out to Macgregor to inquire about getting the MT 86 Pro irons in a 7-pw setup, but unfortunately, they only offer them in 4-pw or 5-pw configurations. Nonetheless, I'm stoked to see Macgregor making a comeback!

I would love to test these, macgregor's are my current clubs and I would like to see how these newer irons perform compared to my blades!

This Test is now closed to further comments.