Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Backyard Putting Green

I have this really strong burning desire for a backyard putting green. I did a ton of research on artificial greens, but came to the conclusion that I cannot possibly afford it. So... I think I have to do one with real grass. I have plenty of space, and I (think) I will have enough time to maintain it. Has anyone ever done this before? If so, any advice? Do I do a layer of gravel, then topsoil and grass seed? I'll probably also put a drain in it. I'd appreciate any thoughts you guys have!

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

I don't know what you consider affordable but people DIY install their own artificial greens relatively inexpensively compared to the cost of real greens.  I haven't actually pulled the trigger since I keep changing my mind and realize that the course is only a few miles away.  When I did research the cost of a real green is significantly more.  The installation cost for a real green may be less,  but maintenance costs are higher (mowers, fertilizer, insecticide, fungicide, etc).  If you do a search you can find out some of the costs; here is a link to one article:

https://www.purchasegreen.com/blog/backyard-putting-green-cost-compared-to-practicing-at-the-driving-range/

Here are the basics for real grass putting green installation

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Putting-Green

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I don't know what you consider affordable but people DIY install their own artificial greens relatively inexpensively compared to the cost of real greens. I haven't actually pulled the trigger since I keep changing my mind and realize that the course is only a few miles away. When I did research the cost of a real green is significantly more. The installation cost for a real green may be less, but maintenance costs are higher (mowers, fertilizer, insecticide, fungicide, etc). If you do a search you can find out some of the costs; here is a link to one article:

https://www.purchasegreen.com/blog/backyard-putting-green-cost-compared-to-practicing-at-the-driving-range/

Here are the basics for real grass putting green installation

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Putting-Green

I thoroughly priced out the cost of an artificial greens, and the cheapest I could find (from some sketchy site on eBay) was around $3000- 4000. I found a couple of greens mowers for around $300, and I don't feel like insecticides and pesticides are necessary, for the green I'm thinking about. That's the only reason I was considering real grass. Thanks for the info!

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

I'm with you on nixing artificial. I did research too and not only is it expensive, it won't roll like the course no matter what they advertise.

I tend to think your best bet may be to start with a chipping green then work it into a putting green over time. Keeping a green maintained (and alive) is a fine art similar to owning a fishtank. Mess a small detail up and the whole thing is dead.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Archived