Ping eye 2 BeCu reshaft problem

I will get right to the point.

Removing the original shafts was easy. However, after the hosels are megga clean and taper tip shafts are ready to install, the shafts will only go into the hosel a quarter inch and thats it. Yes the shafts are .355 KBS. What am i doing wrong? Been reshafting clubs for 30 years but it is my first shot at a ping. Is this part of the ping reshaft mistique? I thought maybe i had mismarked shafts so tried 3 other new .355 and its the same problem. The hosels are completely clean and shinny.

Help.

Odd. The old Ping Eye 2's were famous for their loose fit - not the other way around. 

First off - don't panic. As with all builds to spec, check to see what you have first. That means measuring everything - bore width, bore depth, shaft diameter etc. Did you mic the old shafts for their OD? It's amazing how even 1/1000th" can make the difference between loose and tight. Once you have a set of figures to work to, then you can ascertain the best solution to assemble the build to spec. If that means boring out the the hosel a little bit (no biggie) then so be it. 

Make sure you chamfer the hosel rim and tip pep the shafts to the exact bore depth as you won't be using ferrules - best to err on the short side for tip prep. Hosel depth should be around  1.25" max - allow for 1.125" and tip prep for 1" would be my advice. Older "sloppy" hosels with a loose fit could benefit from shafting beads for a secure fit.

Finished swing weights tend to be on the light side for modern standards (circa C9 depending on shaft length) so be prepared to use a few tip weights for anything heavier on the SW scale.

Archived