Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Adjusting swing weight after reshafting hybrid

In the last year I have been fitted for new clubs and replaced my old set, which included Hogan CFT irons and hybrids. I particularly loved the Hogan 5h, and at some point I acquired an extra one in case something would happen to the first.

As a fun project, using the extra 5h club, I'm installing a new graphite shaft and grip.

Here are the specs for new and old...

Original Hogan shaft:
Graphite R 80g
Grip 48g

New Recoil ES:
Graphite R 69g
Grip 41g

New shaft was trimmed to exactly the same length as the original, 37 11/16". I tipped it per GolfWorks instructions as if it's a 6h rather than 5h, because the original club is shorter than today's hybrids.

I did not try to measure swing weight before disassembling the original club, because I didn't not realize I could measure/estimate it. I have already glued the head to the new shaft and ferrule, and I would rather not take it apart again.

I assumed I would adjust swing back to original using the following guidelines I found on the Web:
+4g grip => -1SW  (some sources indicate +5g instead of +4g)
+9g shaft => +1SW
+2g head => +1SW

Note the following changes from new to old:
Grip -7g
Shaft -11g

I have lead tape I can use to adjust the weight at the grip and head.

My question:
Regarding "+9g shaft => +1SW", I found conflicting information about the direction +/- that SW is changed when shaft weight changes; which is it??!!

Based on the direction of the shift in swing weight (SW) due to shaft weight, I have one of the two situations:
* Negative change in SW due to lighter shaft => +0.5 SW => add 2g lead tape at grip end
* Positive change in SW due to lighter shaft => +3 SW => add 12g lead tape at grip end
A huge difference!

Thanks!
Martin

Edited by MartinKB
Mistake in meaning of one phrase

It looks like my post didn't strike a chord with anyone, so I'll post what I think the answer is.

We know that:

1. Adding weight at grip end decreases swing weight
  2. Swing weight is a measure of weight above and below the balance point
  3. Most of a shaft's weight is above the balance point

The above means that decreasing the shaft weight actually increases swing weight.

So I need 12g at the handle end to bring the swing weight back to where it was with the original shaft and grip. I've done this by spiral-wrapping 12" of lead tape, and the club is finished. I'll give it a try this weekend, and see how it compares to the other Hogan 5h I have, still with its original shaft. I'll also be comparing to my 26 degree 6i, which this new club would replace if I'm having trouble with the 6i (which is my longest iron).

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2020 at 5:21 PM, MartinKB said:

In the last year I have been fitted for new clubs and replaced my old set, which included Hogan CFT irons and hybrids. I particularly loved the Hogan 5h, and at some point I acquired an extra one in case something would happen to the first.

As a fun project, using the extra 5h club, I'm installing a new graphite shaft and grip.

Here are the specs for new and old...

Original Hogan shaft:
Graphite R 80g
Grip 48g

New Recoil ES:
Graphite R 69g
Grip 41g

New shaft was trimmed to exactly the same length as the original, 37 11/16". I tipped it per GolfWorks instructions as if it's a 6h rather than 5h, because the original club is shorter than today's hybrids.

I did not try to measure swing weight before disassembling the original club, because I didn't not realize I could measure/estimate it. I have already glued the head to the new shaft and ferrule, and I would rather not take it apart again.

I assumed I would adjust swing back to original using the following guidelines I found on the Web:
+4g grip => -1SW  (some sources indicate +5g instead of +4g)
+9g shaft => +1SW
+2g head => +1SW

Note the following changes from new to old:
Grip -7g
Shaft -11g

I have lead tape I can use to adjust the weight at the grip and head.

My question:
Regarding "+9g shaft => +1SW", I found conflicting information about the direction +/- that SW is changed when shaft weight changes; which is it??!!

Based on the direction of the shift in swing weight (SW) due to shaft weight, I have one of the two situations:
* Negative change in SW due to lighter shaft => +0.5 SW => add 2g lead tape at grip end
* Positive change in SW due to lighter shaft => +3 SW => add 12g lead tape at grip end
A huge difference!

Thanks!
Martin

Hi,

In my experience heavier shaft increases swing weight ad vice versa. Rule of thumb is +1SW for +9g of shaft weight and -1SW for +5g of grip weight. Based on that I would say your build is app. -1SW for shaft and +1,5SW for grip, so about the same without any additional weighting of the head.

Thing to realize, the numbers of swing weight change in relation to parts can be different with certain shafts that have higher balance point and can reduce overall swing weight like a heavier grip would. Either way, without knowing balance points of the shafts you used, guessing swing weight in relation to parts will not yield accurate results. Rather than guessing I suggest you just measure swing weight as it can be done simply by using home tools (ruler, weight scale and some kind of balance point at the ''0'' on the ruler) + a calculator on URL: http://golf.okrasa.eu/clubs/swingweight-en/sw-measure/

In my experience this calculator is as accurate as is the data you put in it. Moreover, 1 swing weight point is nothing to worry about since most of the golfers cannot feel the difference. I definitely belong in that group.

I hope my semi-answer helped.

:ping-small:  G425 MAX, 10,5°, Fujikura Ventus Blue 60S

:taylormade-small: Stealth Plus 10,5°, Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS, 60S

:taylormade-small: The Original One Mini Driver, 13,5°,  Fujikura Ventus Red 70S

:ping-small: G425 MAX 5 wood, 7 wood, Tensei AV Orange 75R

:srixon-small: Z U65 4, Z565 5-6, Z765 7-8 , Z965 9-PW, Project X 5.5,

:ping-small: Glide 4.0, 52°, Z-115, 58°, Z-115

:EVNROLL: ER5, 34'', Gravity Grip

I would think to just measure the weight of the hybrid you use, and then add lead tape to the extra club to match the swing weight of the one you use, and it doesn't have to be perfect, it can be 1 or 2 swing points off. Also adding length or shortening length of your club will change the swing weight.

:cobra-small:Radspeed 10.5*

:titleist-small:TS 15* 3 Wood

:mizuno-small:CLK 19* Hybrid

:mizuno-small:JPX 900 Forged P-4 Irons

:titleist-small:SM7 52*&56* Wedges

:titleist-small:SM6 60* Wedge

:taylormade-small:Ghost Spider Putter

:bridgestone-small:Tour B XS