Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Built club sitting shut

Hi there

Just about finished a lockdown project of a self build set of irons, but have come across a problem.

All the clubs sit perfectly square when placed down except the 6 iron which falls shut.  I didn't do anything different in assembling that club so no idea why it's happening.

Anyone got any ideas, suggestions on what caused it and how I can fix it?

Many thanks.

Gordon

Yes. If I just rest it on my waist it falls shut but all the others (plus my current irons) all stay open as if you were gripping them about to play a shot.

Thanks
Seems a little strange but if it plays ok just put it out of your mind.
Unless the iron has a design defect or is unlike the other irons in the set I'm not sure you will find a reason for it.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

I have had this happen a few times over the years both with component club heads and name brand/OEM. Two things I found with mine, one the club head was weighted heavily towards the heel (maybe manufacturing tolerance thing) and second, the club head's lie angle was significantly different from rest of irons in set.

First I took a club head that sat level and did the balance test (unscientific test on my part to locate the clubs balance point/center of gravity) and compared it to the club head that closed while sitting at rest. That showed me the difference in balance point between the two club heads. Lie angles were all in family and so I chalked that experience to being the weight distribution of the club head. The one club head had a more heel sided balance point compared to iron club heads in the set (same brand/model).

The second experience was the club head in question had more than 2 degrees upright lie angle so I guess it sat different because the lie angle was so upright. Must not have matched the sole radius (curvature of the club sole) regarding weight distribution due to being upright. That is totally a guess on my part. I did bend the club head flat a degree or so but it still sat uneven or mildly closed. That was a component club head back in the early 90's. Never had another component club head do that. Regardless those are my guesses/experiences. Good luck on what you discover.