Testers Announced! Vokey SM10 Wedges! ×

2021 Most Wanted Wedge

fixyurdivot

Considering a change from my PING Glide 2.0 56/12 SS.  This is primarily my sand wedge and for flop style shots over traps, bushes, etc., with limited green to work with or severe downslope.  Not that the PING is bad but wondering if there is something better - particularly for trap duties.  As I usually do, my first stop is the MGS Most Wanted Testing.  But, they do not include sand shots as part of the testing... totally understandable for LM centric data gathering.  

Some further archive digging yielded this "Myth Buster" information, and I've seen a few other posts in threads speaking about the prowess of the Cleveland SmartSole for reliable sand escapes.  I do have two open slots in the bag but not sure I want to have two 56 degree wedges.  I would characterize my sand play as average.  Getting out is less the issue but doing so with consistent distance control more my weakness.  

I rarely play wet conditions (as in Puget Sound) anymore, so wet performance, while nice to have, isn't a significant factor.  Now I did opt for the SS sole on the Glide instead of the ES that is designed with emphasis on sand play.  Whether that would make the difference, I don't know?

How many of you bag a wedge that is almost exclusively for around the green sand play, which one and why?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

You really need to take into consideration your sand conditions. For most of the year I use a Cleveland CBX 56 degrees with 12 degrees of bounce. With the cavity back there is some added forgiveness. This club has worked wonders for me as long as the sand has some give. For the winter months or hard packed conditions it doesn't work as well. It will bounce off the hard pack. I have a Sub 70 JB wedge bent to 55 degrees that I use for hard pack conditions. The grind of this wedge gets the club face closer to the ground. I just have to be careful it doesn't dig in too much. It also works better off of tight lies in the fairway.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

10 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

You really need to take into consideration your sand conditions. For most of the year I use a Cleveland CBX 56 degrees with 12 degrees of bounce. With the cavity back there is some added forgiveness. This club has worked wonders for me as long as the sand has some give. For the winter months or hard packed conditions it doesn't work as well. It will bounce off the hard pack. I have a Sub 70 JB wedge bent to 55 degrees that I use for hard pack conditions. The grind of this wedge gets the club face closer to the ground. I just have to be careful it doesn't dig in too much. It also works better off of tight lies in the fairway.

Wow, that brings up another wrinkle in this decision.  I experience lots of different sand conditions because I play lots of different courses.  Pretty much see anything from hard & compact to light & fluffy.  I suspect that's why the fitter in Bozeman suggested the ES sole grind.  My other challenge (many of us have) is limited places to practice sand shots.  Desert Hills does have a practice trap/green and I've been trying to use it as much as I can while here for the season.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)