Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Tommy Armour 845s irons -> Adams A7?

Gusset

When I started playing semi-consistently again about a year ago, I got a set of Tommy Armour 845s Silver Scots off ebay. I hit a lot of shots into a net, apparently too much for 30+ year old clubs starting to rust, and I broke the 3-iron shaft at the hosel about 8 months after getting them. I could make do without a 3-iron, but the 4-iron broke last week, and that's a bit more gap than I want to deal with. As much as I like the 845s, I've decided to move to something a little newer rather than replacing individual clubs (my 845s set is one of the very early ones with a 1-degree weaker loft than most of the production run had, and might be difficult to match). I know the prevailing wisdom is to buy new and get fitted, but realistically that can't happen. It's a "newer" used set, or stay where I am.

Now to the question. I really like the Adams A3 19 degree hybrid I got last summer, and it's got me coming around to the prospect of a combined hybrid/iron set. After some digging, I'm leaning toward the Adams A7. Reports were that the hybrids are excellent, and the set's 5-iron does a good job of bridging the distance gap between the hybrids and irons, which was a concern I had based on my own hybrid experience. Buying based solely on what I've researched and read from others, without having actually hit them, doesn't really bother me. I've done that sort of thing with golf clubs (eg my 845s set), musical instruments, vehicles, etc., and it's a low $$$ risk I'm OK with. I'd likely continue to bag my 845s PW, W3, and W4.

Has anyone here hit both TA 845s and A7 irons, and can give me a bit of a comparison? I lack experience with many different clubs, so I don't know how forgiving my TAs actually are, whether they're considered a GI set or something else, or how they compare to what came along as club design advanced.

I have that early 845's set.  Actually 2 thru Lob wedge .... it's yours for the low, low price of $100.  🤪

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM9 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot