First ever solo Tournament - PGA Triangle Chapter Championship

Being in and around golf for my job, and helping my students improve their games, I decided I wanted to start playing competitive golf.  I hadn’t ever played in a tournament solo before and as I’ve gotten older I wanted something to stay competitive with.  I miss the days of setting goals and getting after it.

So I had to start somewhere.  I decided to do a one day local PGA event (not the Tour, people always get that confused, the actual PGA of America organization).  I registered for and played in my chapter’s championship.

I hadn’t played in over a month and had a small medical procedure about a week and a half before the event (dads might catch my drift here), but I still wanted to give it a go.  I had never played the course either.

The format was modified Stableford and I was in the last tee time of the day.  Hole number one, I’m off the tee first and I could feel some nerves.  I went through my pre-shot routine (so important to have) and piped one 300yds right down the middle.  Couldn’t ask for a better start.  Then I’ve got about 175yds to the flag, and cold topped my 7iron lol!  Talk about a let down. 

From there I made bogey to start the round.  Long story short, I finished T-17 out of 45 players.  I had quite a few putts including an eagle and two birdies that missed on the lip.  I had the most horrible plugged bunker lie I’ve ever seen before that killed my momentum on the back nine and a few other ups and downs. 

All that and I broke 80 in a legit tournament.  There were lots of positives to take away.  Some areas of improvement will be to play a bit more aggressive at times (I played too conservative with some approach shots), and I had 38 putts…. Yeah….  Let’s just say the green speeds were not the same as the practice green. Lol

I signed up for the Match Play event as well, so we see how that goes when we get our first matchups announced! 

Instagram:  @tony_rosselli_

:SuperSpeed:Training

Pre training max driver speed: 124mph

Current: 130mph

WITB:

Driver: :ping-small:G425 Max, 9*

Woods: :taylormade-small: 2007 Burner TP 3 wood and 5 wood

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z765 4-PW (1 degree flat) with KBS $-130 shafts

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 50/12/F, 54/10/S and 58/12/D

Putter:  L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1