Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

water hazard ruling

golf rule question:   I had a ball in a red staked water hazard.  The ball never crossed the hazard, it traveled down the left side of pond never crossing the water, it then traveled past the pond on the left side, hit the cart path, ran up a slope - curved to the right and came back down hill to rest inside the red stakes on the edge of the water - where is my point  of relieve? 

37 minutes ago, shedguy12 said:

golf rule question:   I had a ball in a red staked water hazard.  The ball never crossed the hazard, it traveled down the left side of pond never crossing the water, it then traveled past the pond on the left side, hit the cart path, ran up a slope - curved to the right and came back down hill to rest inside the red stakes on the edge of the water - where is my point  of relieve? 

Q.How do I take relief from a yellow or red penalty area?

A.When you take relief from a penalty area, you get one penalty stroke. For yellow penalty areas, you have two relief options. For red penalty areas, you have three relief options (the same two relief options as you do for yellow, plus one additional option.) For a yellow penalty area, you may take relief by dropping into a relief area using (1) the spot at which your last stroke was made under stroke and distance (see Rule 17.1d(1)) or (2) the back-on-the-line relief procedure (see Rule 17.1d(2)). For a red penalty area, you have the two options above for a yellow penalty area, plus an additional option to take lateral relief. Lateral relief allows you to drop a ball into a relief area measured from where your ball last crossed the edge of red penalty area. From that reference point, you are allowed to drop outside the penalty area and anywhere within two club-lengths of that spot, no nearer to the hole (see Rule 17.1d(3)).

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, shedguy12 said:

I want to understand exactly what happened.  Are you saying you made a stroke at a ball in the Red Penalty Area?  And the ball travelled "past the pond", (out of the Penalty Area?) up a slope, and then rolled back down the stroke into the Penalty Area?  Look to Rule 17.2 for this.  You may take the usually Lateral or Back on the Line Relief, and the Reference Point would be where the ball last crossed the margin of the PA, where it rolled back down the hill into the pond.  You may take Stroke and Distance relief by dropping in the area where you played the stroke from the Penalty Area.  Or you may take S&D relief by playing from the spot where you played the stroke that ended up in the Penalty Area the first time.  Each of those relief options has a Penalty of 1 stroke.  This is shown on Drawing 2, Figure 17.2a.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

11 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I want to understand exactly what happened.  Are you saying you made a stroke at a ball in the Red Penalty Area?  And the ball travelled "past the pond", (out of the Penalty Area?) up a slope, and then rolled back down the stroke into the Penalty Area?  Look to Rule 17.2 for this.  You may take the usually Lateral or Back on the Line Relief, and the Reference Point would be where the ball last crossed the margin of the PA, where it rolled back down the hill into the pond.  You may take Stroke and Distance relief by dropping in the area where you played the stroke from the Penalty Area.  Or you may take S&D relief by playing from the spot where you played the stroke that ended up in the Penalty Area the first time.  Each of those relief options has a Penalty of 1 stroke.  This is shown on Drawing 2, Figure 17.2a.

To add one more thing, if you DO decide to take S&D relief and drop inside the Penalty Area (option 3), and THEN decide that you can't play the ball, you can take relief outside the Penalty Area for one more penalty stroke.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia