Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

Fat Sole - “Alien Knock-Off” Type Wedges

DukeStKing

Correct me if I’m wrong? But I believe “Alien” wedges in the 1990’s were the first really wide sole sand wedges. I picked up Orlimar’s version cheap on Amazon in a 64* I realized I hit my 3 wood and 17* Apex UW basically the same distance, so I took the opportunity to remove the 17* UW and get the 64* Orlimar Fat Sole. I haven’t been too happy with my sand play and I liked the idea of hitting sand shots with a square face and not thinking too much with my 58* or 54* 

I’ve played 3 rounds with it and I’m loving it- really simplifies sand shots. It’s also easy to use in the rough- not amazing from tight lies though… but what is? I know Cleveland, Callaway and a few others make something similar, but it’s all a variation on Alien’s original idea. I’m glad I got it- especially in the 64*

IMG_8178.jpeg

Driver: Callaway Paradym; Hzrdus Silver 50 Gram

3 Wood: Ping 410; "Otto Phlex" Project X Evenflow Riptide 

7 Wood: Callaway Epic Max 

3, 5-7 Irons: Callaway Apex 19

8-AW Irons: Callaway Apex Pro 19

Wedges: Callaway MD4 54, Callaway MD4 58 X Grind 

Putter: Evnroll ER2v; Midlock and Standard 34 inch with Gravity Gip

I believe the Hogan Sure-Out sand wedge was one of, if not the very first of this kind.  Callaway eventually acquired the design from Hogan and may still make a sure-out club.

I played with the Hogan sure-out on Friday in my backup set.  I like it so much I just bought another to put in the bag with my gamer irons.  Easy to hit and excellent spin  from grass. 

Working at getting better ... and very slowly getting there.

•  :callaway-small: Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8* (:accra:  Shogun Blue M0 Otto-Phlex)
  •  :taylormade-small: Brnr Mini driver 13.5* (:accra: FX 3.0 140 M1 Otto-Phlex)
  • :callaway-small: Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids
  •  Maltby TS3 (4-8)/TS4 (9-PW)/TS1 (GW) (shafts:  :projectx: LZ 6.0)
  • :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (:projectx: wedge shafts 6.5)
  • :L.A.B.: DF 2.1 (BTG shaft)
  • :redrooster: Gloves

My Official 2024 TaylorMade Qi10 Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62804-taylormade-qi10-drivers-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1014200

My Official 2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042