Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

Distinction With(out) a Difference? 10g In an Iron Shaft

Can you help me analyze the risk-reward of buying a lighter iron shaft?

My current gamer iron shafts are Project X LZ 6.0 which weigh 120 grams.   I try to play my irons at or around D2.

I think it's time to shift to graphite for several boring reasons.

I know 105g also works for me in an iron shaft.  A couple years ago I was fit into 105g shafts, but resisted going lighter b/c of stubbornness, and due to unrelated performance issues.  (Digression:  despite paying *outrageous* prices to Club Champion for the irons, at only +1/2" in length Club Champion was unable to swing weight them properly.  At the time I foolishly blamed the lighter shafts for the poor performance rather than the terribly low swing weight.  It still stings.  Rant over.)

I tested and found a shaft I really like at 105g.  However, reshafting all my irons will be an expensive endeavor if I go that route.

Sooo . . . I found a much less expensive set of good condition shaft pulls in the same model, but at 95g per shaft.  This will save me $100+ if I buy the pulls.

Is it likely that 10g weight difference will matter much in my swing if the swing weights are consistent?

My gut tells me I should spend the extra hundo and rest easy.  My brain wants to save the money.

🤷‍♂️  Help!?

TLDR:  Is saving $100+ worth the risk of buying a set of iron shafts 10g lighter than proven winners? 

Working at getting better ... and very slowly getting there.

•  :callaway-small: Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8* (:accra:  Shogun Blue M0 Otto-Phlex)
  •  :taylormade-small: Brnr Mini driver 13.5* (:accra: FX 3.0 140 M1 Otto-Phlex)
  • :callaway-small: Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids
  •  Maltby TS3 (4-8)/TS4 (9-PW)/TS1 (GW) (shafts:  :projectx: LZ 6.0)
  • :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (:projectx: wedge shafts 6.5)
  • :L.A.B.: DF 2.1 (BTG shaft)
  • :redrooster: Gloves

My Official 2024 TaylorMade Qi10 Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62804-taylormade-qi10-drivers-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1014200

My Official 2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

Nobody can say how that difference will affect you. People don’t like to what that and most want some kind of answer but it’s not possible to give. Everybody reacts differently to weight changes. Some may not have any issues but going from the weight of your steel shafts to 95g is a big difference for your playing set. The set you were fit to is somewhat not relevant because you haven’t been playing them.

when you change weight classes in the same shaft there’s a change in stiffness as wel. So it’s not only a 10g change from the shaft you found that works but also a profile change. Did you try the 105g shaft in a demo club that is the same as your current ones? If not it could be a shaft that worked well in whatever you tried it in but not in your current club.

you could ad weight back the shaft to get to 105 with lead tape. You could add weight to the head with lead tape to create a feel.

The variables are too many to say what the impact of that change will be

I have a P790 AW (50*) with Steelfiber i95 regular flex (I think) shaft sat doing nothing if testing that out is of any use to you (seeing we aren't far away from one another). I do not know the swing weight of the club. Not sure how close to the composite shafts you're looking at this is.

I switched up the rest of my P790s (5-PW) to KBS C-Taper Lite X-stiff (115g) shafts after buying the clubs used from a friend. I bought a set of pulled shafts that didn't come with the AW shaft and I was already playing a Taylormade MG 50*, so haven't bothered upgrading the AW shaft.

2024 WITB:

Driver::callaway-logo-1: Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 MAX 9* w. Denali 60g 6.5 (XS)

FW woods: :titleist-small:TSR2+ 13* '2W' w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X & TSR2 21* 7W w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

Hybrid: :taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18*) w. :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

Irons: :taylormade-small: 5i-PW: '17 P790 w. :kbs: Tour C-Taper Lite 115X (Incoming soon: :taylormade-small: 4i-PW: 2024 P770 w. :projectx: Rifle 6.0 (+1/4"))

Wedges: :taylormade-small: 50/09 MG4; 56/12 MG4TW Raw; :vokey-small:SM9 60/04L

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X7

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x //  :callaway-small: Chrome Tour // Maxfli Tour X

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder;  :Ogio: Woode Hybrid Stand Bag; :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

2024 Tests:

"...pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!"- Eric Idle