Not everyone hits it 300

Everyone hits it 300! Just ask them.  I do when they are waiting on the tee for the green to clear on a 290 par 4.  Slow play in part is due to over estimating your length.  But good news...

"Arccos data via the USGA and R&A in March 2022 revealed that the average male golfer – with a handicap – hits their total drive around 215 yards."

So step up to the ball and hit it.  You are not as long as you think.  Play fast.  Play it forward. 

8 minutes ago, Clubs by Buzz said:

So step up to the ball and hit it.  You are not as long as you think.  Play fast.  Play it forward. 

But one time I hit it 324 🤪

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I think a large part of this issue is potential driving distance. For example, My average driver is going about 265 on the fairway finder, and 285 on the hard swing. However, if I really hit it well, it's going over 300. So if I'm on a 305 yard par 4, I'll wait until the green clears just in case I get close to them. I feel like its rude to slow people down, but ruder to hit up on someone.

WITB
Driver: Callaway Rogue ST D 
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue St D
Hybrid: Taylormade SIM2 Max
4-iron: Taylormade P790

5-PW: Taylormade P7MC

52*, 56*, and 60*: Titleist Vokey SM10 Nickel
Putter: Sacks Parente Custom Series 54 Mid-Sized White 1 Stripe - Center

This data also includes irons, and hybrids off the tee. So if you hit a 5 iron on one hole, a hybrid, and driver the average is going to be low.  I don’t find any use for that data.  It would be better if you could break it down per club off the tee… maybe you can, and if it is possible can someone tell me how to do it?

Yes, not everyone does. However there are some that do. 

I can, don't often. Probably a 270 player, which is plenty far enough!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

As pointed out the data is faulty.  If you hit a snap hook that happens to hit a tree and goes 150 then the old off the crown straight up 190 then follow it with a perfect swing and 305 down the middle what’s your average. 

645/3=215 average. 

Can you drive the ball 300?  Yep you did to get the average up.  

Averages like this will always be low due to amateur inconsistency.  

What is in my Ghost MGS anyday Maverick or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:   Callaway Smoke AI TD Max 8.5* with an Aretera Alpha One Blue 55/4 shaft @ 44.75” or GD VF 5s @45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

:titleist-small: TSR2 7 wood shaft TBD

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 Aged Copper 4-PW with Steelfiber I95 R

Wedges:    :mizuno-small: T22 copper 50* and 54* with Steelfiber 95 S

Putter: :cameron-small: 2024 Phantom 5.5 @ 34”

14 hours ago, Shankster said:

This data also includes irons, and hybrids off the tee. So if you hit a 5 iron on one hole, a hybrid, and driver the average is going to be low.  I don’t find any use for that data.  It would be better if you could break it down per club off the tee… maybe you can, and if it is possible can someone tell me how to do it?

8 hours ago, GolfSpy_BNG said:

As pointed out the data is faulty.  If you hit a snap hook that happens to hit a tree and goes 150 then the old off the crown straight up 190 then follow it with a perfect swing and 305 down the middle what’s your average. 

I would say the the following to your comments:   

1.  Most of the shot tracking systems identify the clubs used off the tee and I would think it wouldn't be a far stretch to say they filtered the data to show only driver.

2.  Most of these shot tracking systems have outlier detection to get better information.  for example shotscope calls it performance average.   You would also want to look at players that have significantly more than 2 shots.  

Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I remember a hole in Huntington Beach. Forget the yardage. Was a dogleg right. Suddenly went uphill a good 30 feet to the green. Wasn't that hard to drive to it if you went the crash and burn route through the trees. Plenty crashed and burned in the trees. Others who made it through. Their ball would roll up to the green. Still 1/2 chance going in the trap. It was accepted to hit up. It wasn't dangerous to anyone on the green.

I hit my prettiest tee shot ever on that hole. Decided to shape it slicing. That tee shot went straight down the fairway, all the way. Slicing right around the dogleg. Forget where it ended up. I would like to remember (wishful thinking?) When I got to the green. A guy ahead of me yelling ball marker. My ball on the apron. Found a marker up on the green.

Edited by Old New Golfer

To be candid.... I would rather walk a field with a good Bird Dog, than to walk a golf course with people. Only problem is, I can't walk.

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

1.  Most of the shot tracking systems identify the clubs used off the tee and I would think it wouldn't be a far stretch to say they filtered the data to show only driver.

2.  Most of these shot tracking systems have outlier detection to get better information.  for example shotscope calls it performance average.   You would also want to look at players that have significantly more than 2 shots.  

Here is a look into my last two rounds along with my “smart distances”.  I’m not sure how the data is calculated.  238 off the tee does not make any sense.  Unless it is including the ones I told it not to include.  It does say all clubs on par 4’s and 5’s off the tee.  

club data as 

B587135C-0CD1-4516-B548-577241CB9BDA.png

1C934EAB-09CB-481F-83D2-F551C2302889.png

DD4263C5-DE07-46E4-B117-30C9CD3D7312.png

C0F08BC1-19CD-4833-A34B-D2979676ECEE.png

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

You may be right they may filter club and some outlier detection but those averages are still skewed imo. Again most amateurs can be inconsistent off the tee and will undoubtably have tops, sky balls, bad shots, etc.

What is in my Ghost MGS anyday Maverick or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:   Callaway Smoke AI TD Max 8.5* with an Aretera Alpha One Blue 55/4 shaft @ 44.75” or GD VF 5s @45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

:titleist-small: TSR2 7 wood shaft TBD

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 Aged Copper 4-PW with Steelfiber I95 R

Wedges:    :mizuno-small: T22 copper 50* and 54* with Steelfiber 95 S

Putter: :cameron-small: 2024 Phantom 5.5 @ 34”

1 hour ago, Shankster said:

Disregard ⬆️ that.  Dropped it down to last 5-10 shots and it makes sense… now.

Just remember that the data geeks that are writing these type of articles have the ability to filter data more that what is show in the Arccos presentation.   Lou Stagner for example has access to the database itself.  

On 9/5/2024 at 12:44 PM, Clubs by Buzz said:

Everyone hits it 300! Just ask them. 

I don't play with ANYBODY who hits it 300.

If people want to wait, it's cool with me.
I'm never in a hurry when I play golf.
When golf stops being relaxing, I'm done playing.

But nobody in my circles thinks that he/she hits it 300.
Of that, I'm pretty certain.