Shoulder Pain from Hitting on Mats

UpInTheAir10

Self explanatory, I’ve been practicing a lot more this year to play tournament golf and I’ve been battling a right shoulder that flairs up after range sessions. Has anyone else had this same issue? I’ve been doing a lot more rotator cuff exercises and stretches but it keeps coming back. Any tricks to avoid pain on the range? I try not to hit as many full wedges but other than that I don’t catch balls heavy so I’m confused where it’s coming from. My miss is usually thin. Unfortunately there aren’t any ranges close to me with grass. Could I bring a piece of carpet or something to put under the mat for more cushion from the concrete?

Driver- Rogue St Triple Diamond 

Mavrik 3hybrid

Wilson Pro Staff 21 degree driving iron 

Callaway Apex Irons 

Callaway Macdaddy 52 and 56 degree

odysee two ball putter

I won't hit off mats due to getting tennis elbow a few years back. Thankfully I do have a number of ranges here where I can hit off grass, which is my go-to. If it's mats only, it's driver only for me. 

You could get a thicker more cushioned mat at DSG or someplace like that and bring it with you to see if that helps. Honestly, for me moving to all graphite is what helped the most overall. Good luck!

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Halo XL 5i-DW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:EVNROLL: ER5 
:maxfli: Tour S

1 hour ago, UpInTheAir10 said:

Self explanatory, I’ve been practicing a lot more this year to play tournament golf and I’ve been battling a right shoulder that flairs up after range sessions. Has anyone else had this same issue? I’ve been doing a lot more rotator cuff exercises and stretches but it keeps coming back. Any tricks to avoid pain on the range? I try not to hit as many full wedges but other than that I don’t catch balls heavy so I’m confused where it’s coming from. My miss is usually thin. Unfortunately there aren’t any ranges close to me with grass. Could I bring a piece of carpet or something to put under the mat for more cushion from the concrete?

The mats don't give like grass does.  No matter how little you hit the mat. I hate to say it, but the only thing that has helped me is switching to graphite and it has taken some of the impact out. Doesn't solve it, but has made some difference. 

Titleist GT3 11* Tensei 1k blue

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

Vokey SM9 Wedges 50* 54* 58*

DF2.1 Putter

I use to go through the same thing with a mat and 1" padding underneath the already pre-installed padding on the mat. I moved on to the Fiberbuilt deck and I am loving it. It is high off the ground, but if you can level it with your hitting area, it's a dream. Very tall and wiry surface to avoid digging in too much and shocking the arms.  Also provides good feedback when you do hit it fat as the club will dig in pretty deep and not hit the ball as crisp as you would bouncing off the standard mats. That and bounce from wedges is pretty much nonexistent as that surface is not solid enough for the bounce to really help. Still, give er a look! Pretty solid through hundreds of swings on it already and no issues. 

image.png.bdc03d324075ed32235ad16b2387f2da.png

Edited by Chux13
Forgot to add snip of product

Chux Bag o' Magic:

:PXG: Black Ops 10.5°

:PXG: 0317X Proto Hybrids (17°/19°)

:PXG: 0211 XCor 2021 Irons (5-PW)

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 46° wedge

Juggernaut Max CB Full Face 52,56,60° Wedges

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 custom broomstick

:callaway-small: Chrome Tour ballz

Tech: Garmin R10/Galaxy Watch 5 Pro Golf Edition

---Opus Platinum Forum Testing Review---

Like the above posts, I deal with tennis elbow when hitting off mats. When hitting off mats, I only hit enough wedges and irons to be warmed up, and exclusively hit woods and driver on ranges that have mats. During parts of the year when it's hard to find a range with grass I will put a strip of masking tape behind the ball to show me if I am hitting it fat, this has helped me from smashing fat shots.

Cobra Aerojet MAX 9* 

Cobra Air X 3 Wood

Cobra BioCell 7 Wood

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW

Cleveland CG 56*

Odyssey White Hot Rossie

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I try to avoid mats as well, but as you said sometimes unavoidable. I keep a small section of 1'x2'of the brown fibrous welcome mat from Home Depot or Lowes to place on top of the mat which helps with that solid feeling. I also keep a small rug piece for standing on to help keep things even. This is the least expensive alt I've found. Good luck. Lidocaine patches on your back of shoulder during rnge sessions may help as well.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet