Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

REVIEW!- Nike Women's Golf Fall/Winter Outerwear

smhgolf

If there's one word that come's to mind when you think of Nike, it has to be performance. Another thing that come's to mind is the $10.7 billion dollars that the brand is valued at, making it the highest among any sports business. Their golf products for this 2012 Fall/Winter women's collection are no exception to their performance standards, and with the three products reviewed, they have not slacked on their mission to bring new and better design elements and innovation to their product every year.

The Skort/Legging (Or As I Like To Call It The Skegging)

Skegging.jpg

skegging2.jpg

This is a beautiful one-piece legging/skort combination that is designed to provide functional layers that will keep you warm during cold days. If the temperature warms up during your round, and you're worried that your legs will start to sweat, the Dri-Fit fabric in the leggings works to wick sweat and keep you dry. The skort has flat seams on the front to keep a comfortable shape through your hips, and you won't have to worry about any bulge.

convert & skegging from side.jpg

Fabric: Dri-Fit 88% Polyester/ 12% Spandex Blend

Women's Convert Long Sleeve

convert:skegging.jpg

This look like a single long top, but the sleeveless shirt underneath is detachable so there are three ways to wear this piece.

convert detachable collar.jpg

There is a shiny chevron pattern on the sleeves of the top layer, as well as on the back of the sleeveless polo underneath. The long sleeves are made with a mesh insert for ventilation that also provides moisture wicking.

convert sleeve closeup.jpg

Both layers have a comfortable stretch to them that won't cling too tightly to your body.

stretch fabric.jpg

Outer Body: 84% Polyester 16% spandex

Inset: 100% Polyester

2 in 1 Jacket

2in1 jacket.jpg

The base layer is a full-zip jacket made with their comfortable Dri-Fit material. The jacket has a sunburst orange color that covers the body, while the sleeves are solid black.

2in1 jacket bottom layer.jpg

On top of the jacket is a perforated woven vest that has side panels for breathability that also provide wind resistant protection. The vest can be worn together or separately with the base layer.

vest cover.jpg

The great thing about this vest is the perforated holes allow the sunburst orange to peek through from the jacket underneath. This adds a nice textured quality to the entire jacket.

2 in 1 jacket layers.jpg

Outer Layer: 100% Polyester

Vest Inserts: 85% Polyester/15% Spandex (Dri-Fit Woven)

Liner Layer: 100% Polyester

Sleeves: 85% Polyester/ 15% Spandex (Dri-Fit Woven)

The Review

Cut/Fit

I've probably said this enough times to either convert you to either love or loath Big Blue Nation, but I played college golf at University of Kentucky, and as many of you college sports buffs know, they have one of the largest NCAA school contracts with Nike. I literally woke up every day morning, noon, and night in college wearing something Nike on my body. If you were a student-athlete and didn't wear something Nike everyday, people in the athletic department looked at you with a stare that made you feel like you just walked into your friends wedding wearing all white.

I would honestly say the quality of Nike's ladies golf apparel is superior to almost every other ladies' golf brand on the market, but the cut has always been one of my only drawbacks. Standing at 5' 4” puts me at about an inch shorter than the average woman, and the cut on Nike's golf jackets tend to be on the long side for me. I found this was the case with the length on the 2 in 1 jacket, and the long sleeve top of the convert. If I were to judge based on the average woman, then i'd have to say the cut is a suitable length. I'd also note that even though their jackets have always felt longer, their polos have always been cut to a comfortable length on me.

The fit of their tops is more of a straight line from top to bottom rather than cinching in at the waist. Depending on your body type, you may find this to be a relaxed fit, while others may see it as too boxy and not as flattering for their waistline. I personally like the fit, especially on the jackets. Since they're usually going to be layered over a polo anyways, I like to have some extra room in the waist to feel comfortable on the course.

jacket & skegging.jpg

Score: 18/20

Style

Overall, I think the styling and functionality of all three pieces is great. The 2 in 1 jacket provides a base layer that is lightweight while still keeping you warm, and the vest serves as added protection during windy days. The one thing that I would've liked to see was pockets on the vest as well as the full-zip jacket. If you're wearing both layers, the pockets on the jacket aren't accessible unless you unzip the vest first.

pockets.jpg

The convert top has great styling to it. The chevron pattern on the sleeves provides a practical but trendy touch to the set, and the mesh inserts on the sleeves provide ventilation. I really liked the styling of the sleeveless top underneath, especially the back of the top with the block chevron design.

convert sleeve.jpg

Score: 17/20

Movement/ Performance

As a golfer, one of the most important qualities we look for in our outerwear is having enough freedom to rotate our arms in the golf swing without feeling any constriction. Men I'm pointing at you here. You do, in fact, look like an idiot when you wear short sleeves on the golf course when its less than 50 degrees outside. It's time you swallow your pride and put a little extra effort into the s-word (Shopping!!). It is possible to find a jacket that will keep you warm, but also won't suffocate your arm pits when you swing the golf club.

Back to the ladies apparel, I have to give high marks on this one because both the 2 in 1 jacket and the convert top are excellent to swing in. I felt absolutely zero restriction when taking a full swing. The skort/leggings were also very stretchy and didn't get static cling like some activewear has.

The one thing I'd say about the convert is that I'd definitely add a layer over it if you're planning on playing on a colder day. The mesh sleeves aren't designed as thermal protection because of the ventilation in them.

Score: 19/20

The Peanut Gallery

The feedback I received on these items was overwhelmingly positive all around. The main product I was interested in getting an opinion on was the skort/leggings combo, especially from the men. Of all people polled, only one male said he didn't like the look. Most women liked the combination, and love the functionality of it for the cold weather. One woman said she liked the leggings because they are black. She believed patterned or bright colored leggings don't look as practical when combined with a skort. Opinions on the Sunburst Orange color was also very positive. Many liked it because it's light enough to stand out, but not so overwhelming that you'll blind your competitors.

Score: 19/20

Value

With Nike, you know you're getting a product where the price matches up with the quality.

Keep in mind that all three products are like buying two pieces of clothing in one. The convert retails at $85, considering a sleeveless polo and a long sleeve top make up the set that's a very fair price point.

The 2 in 1 jacket is slightly higher priced at $130, however, if you walked into any of your big box retail stores and bought a full-zip jacket and a wind vest at retail it would most likely run at or above $130.

The skort/leggings combo is priced $100, which in my opinion is a great staple item for ladies during the Fall & Winter. Considering the peanut gallery gave this resounding approval, it's definitely a fair price to pay for a functional, yet trendy piece that you'll get great longevity out of.

Score: 17/20

Total: 90/100 A

All these items plus the rest of the Nike Women's Golf collection can be found at:

http://www.nike.com/nikeos/p/nikegolf/en_US/products/womens-apparel

• 1 month later...

I will say that I enjoy you modeling the clothes so much better than I do T and Dave and the other guys.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Hold on here...wait until April...I'll give her some legit competition.

Only if you are having major plastic surgery. She is very pretty and you ain't.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Archived