Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Scratched my new Scotty Cameron Golo

The Crow

This is my first post, but after what I did, I had to share it here. I have never been a scotty cameron fan, but this winter, I fell hard for the Golo. I decided that it would be my putter for 2013. I wanted to get one that was a mid, and cut it down (I like heavy heads). Needless to say, I was looking to get a used Golo. I finally found the right club and deal on Ebay, and won the auction. I received the putter last Friday. I have a couple of after market wieghts that I wanted to put in, so immediately after work, I went about taking out the old weights. I used the tool and the first weight came out pretty easy. I had trouble on the second weight, so I got my wife's oven mit and began to put on some torque. The tool snapped, and came out and scratched a circle in the putter. The putter was in perfect shape. After a lot of bad words, I had to decide what to do. I don't think I can use it like it is (not sure why, I guess I just want it to look good). So I am thinking about sending it to Putter Lounge and having it get the Element 29 treatment. The pics are below, tell me what you think I should do. Also, I have a golf trip in April, so if I send it off, I will have to putt with a backup. I know that the people in the Scotty cult will say that you should not try to do anything with it other than letting the custom shop work on it, but I like to have something that no one else has.

Let me know what you think I should do, or just tell me how bad I screwed up!!!!!

image (1).jpeg

I, personally, would send it to either Tom Slighter(Slighter Golf), Kevin Colbert(Putter Plating), or LaMont Mann (Mannkrafted) for a new finish(dependent upon which finish you want as to who I'd send to). All of the putter lounge finishes I've seen are put on waaaaaaay thick and it kills the feel of the putter. Or, you could always strip everything down and do the finish yourself. If you're wanting the Element29 type finish, remove that sole plate with an allen wrench, remove the weights, strip the black finish and then torch it to your desired golden hue.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Thanks for the ideas so far. I thought about doing the finish myself (I have done it before with good results), but I was unsure about how easy the black finish would come off. I read that it was pretty tough to get off.

Another question, if I do send it off, what type of finish would look good. I was thinking of that type of Element 29 type finish, but I am wondering if some other finishes would look good as well. Also, would any of the finish companies do a finish to the sole plate? That was one of my burning questions. I may be a much bigger "club ho" than I thought, because I am thinking of picking up another Scotty Cameron to game on my upcoming trip to Vegas (maybe a 2012 california sonoma or del mar). I guess new irons and a new driver are not enough. Plus, if I do get another putter, once I get the Golo finished, I will probably want that one refinished. I am sure glad that this is my only hobby.

Thanks for the ideas so far. I thought about doing the finish myself (I have done it before with good results), but I was unsure about how easy the black finish would come off. I read that it was pretty tough to get off.

Another question, if I do send it off, what type of finish would look good. I was thinking of that type of Element 29 type finish, but I am wondering if some other finishes would look good as well. Also, would any of the finish companies do a finish to the sole plate? That was one of my burning questions. I may be a much bigger "club ho" than I thought, because I am thinking of picking up another Scotty Cameron to game on my upcoming trip to Vegas (maybe a 2012 california sonoma or del mar). I guess new irons and a new driver are not enough. Plus, if I do get another putter, once I get the Golo finished, I will probably want that one refinished. I am sure glad that this is my only hobby.

LaMont would do the plate and the putter head as well. And he's got tons of options on polymer finishes. IMO, it'd be sweet done in matte black polymer with the sole plate done in gloss black polymer with paint fill of choice (I personally like gloss black on matte black or a dirty white on matte black) then do the color presentation on the sole.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Archived