Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Leupold GX-1

Rangefinder pondering is in full throttle. Looking to get rid of my Red hot and go traditional because I play unprismed courses much more than I play prismed ones. The GX-1 is on the top of my list. I see great reviews elsewhere, it's a well respected brand. It's simple, tournament legal, and at a great price. Anyone own or use one? Is there a MGS review I haven't seen?

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

I don't think there's a review of the GX-1, but I have reviewed the GX-3 and GX-3i. To me, the construction of the 3 makes it worth the money compared to the 1. If you can find the 3 instead of the 3i, you'll save some money and it's virtually the same thing. That would be my recommendation.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I've used one for two years now. It's fantastic and incredibly accurate. I haven't used any other brands, so I can't really make comparisons, but I've never felt the need to replace this thing.

One thing that I think is true of all rangefinders, make sure to double check measurements, especially if the flag doesn't have a prism. It's fairly easier from 200+ yards out to measure the trees behind the green, but after some practice you should be able to steady your hands enough that taking a few measurements is very quick.

I don't think there's a review of the GX-1, but I have reviewed the GX-3 and GX-3i. To me, the construction of the 3 makes it worth the money compared to the 1. If you can find the 3 instead of the 3i, you'll save some money and it's virtually the same thing. That would be my recommendation.

Why? Obviously if you can get the 3 for the same price as the 1, go for it. The GX1 seems pretty durable, though I do keep it either in the clicgear console or it's pouch at all times.

Again, the construction. The 3 is a solid metal body, the 1 is plastic. I'm sure the 1 is plenty durable, just like all the plastic/rubber Bushnells and Callaways, I just prefer the solid metal body. Numerous throws and drops tell me that it lasts.

For the extra $100 is it really just the metal body? Or is there anything feature wise that makes it worth that? Feature wise what's the difference between the 3 and 3i?

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

For the extra $100 is it really just the metal body? Or is there anything feature wise that makes it worth that? Feature wise what's the difference between the 3 and 3i?

Different display inside the lens. The 3i is red which supposedly makes it easier to see. The 3 is black. Not really an issue IMO, but then again, durability hasn't been an issue for me since I don't drop the thing :).

Different display inside the lens. The 3i is red which supposedly makes it easier to see. The 3 is black. Not really an issue IMO, but then again, durability hasn't been an issue for me since I don't drop the thing :).

I have n intention of dropping it... I've never dropped either of my current two golf devices once, or any of my non-golf devices. I'm probably gonna go with the 1. Just for durability and a red display it's not worth the extra $140 at my shop.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

The 3 has a red display also, not just the 3i. The red is infinitely better in low light. In bright conditions it's a push.

I'd also suggest that no one intends on crashing their car, but it doesn't mean airbags are a bad thing. ;)

The 3 has a red display also, not just the 3i. The red is infinitely better in low light. In bright conditions it's a push.

I'd also suggest that no one intends on crashing their car, but it doesn't mean airbags are a bad thing. ;)

I think of it more as collision insurance or extended warranties, where the cost doesn't justify the risk mitigation. If you paid $30k for a car, would you buy a warranty for $10k?

I think of it more as collision insurance or extended warranties, where the cost doesn't justify the risk mitigation. If you paid $30k for a car, would you buy a warranty for $10k?

This is exactly why "Value" is my least favorite category to score. :lol:

Honestly considering saving for the 4i. The yellow SmartKey would be very beneficial for practice rounds. The Silver Smartkey makes it a 3i basically... great for tournaments. I know it's still technically illegal for tournaments because it has the ability to do slope... have to figure that one out.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Honestly considering saving for the 4i. The yellow SmartKey would be very beneficial for practice rounds. The Silver Smartkey makes it a 3i basically... great for tournaments. I know it's still technically illegal for tournaments because it has the ability to do slope... have to figure that one out.

With the silver face plate it's tournament legal, no worries there. There is a 4i review here too...I think it's on the blog. That thing is over the top smart.

I bought the 3i today. Thought about making the jump to the 4i but honestly I'd rather get good with LOS distance instead of using slope till a tournament rolls around and getting all my distances screwed up. I actually would have bought the RAZR has it not been a tad slower than the 3i for me. The Pro1M was fun to play around with but it's too big, I can't hit the ball a mile, and it's darn expensive to just measure distance.

The 3i and 1M would have been 100/100 along with the RAZR had it not been for cost right? One of them has to be the best performance wise. I haven't used em all long enough to tell but the review has...

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

• 1 month later...

I bought the 3i today. Thought about making the jump to the 4i but honestly I'd rather get good with LOS distance instead of using slope till a tournament rolls around and getting all my distances screwed up. I actually would have bought the RAZR has it not been a tad slower than the 3i for me. The Pro1M was fun to play around with but it's too big, I can't hit the ball a mile, and it's darn expensive to just measure distance.

The 3i and 1M would have been 100/100 along with the RAZR had it not been for cost right? One of them has to be the best performance wise. I haven't used em all long enough to tell but the review has...

Ice,

I've had the GX-1 for the past several years and love it, however, I find myself looking to upgrade. If I do, I'll get the 3i. What did you pay for it? I know in Golfsmith they are $399, but I have found them somewhat cheaper on eBay.

Joe

Ice,

I've had the GX-1 for the past several years and love it, however, I find myself looking to upgrade. If I do, I'll get the 3i. What did you pay for it? I know in Golfsmith they are $399, but I have found them somewhat cheaper on eBay.

Joe

Golfsmith often has 15% off discounts if you're willing to wait for it to show up again, that would be a $60 discount. Alternatively, they have a $50 discount now for orders over $250.

Ice,

Joe

I paid $250 for mine, but I never pay full price for anything. I get special treatment at my local pro shop. $399 is retail, you could probably get that down closer to $300 like WD said.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd revive this thread since I'm in the market rather than starting a new one.

Is the 3 or 3i still the best bang for your buck out there? Are they THAT much faster than the Razr? The waterproof aspect of the Razr really intrigues me.

Then I've also seen the Bushnell Tour V2 packs going for $100 less. Is that a better value (I know hard to equate value). I don't want to spend an extra $100 if I don't have to, but at the same time I don't want to spend $220 and wish I had spent a little more to get something that much better.

I don't care about slope, waterproof is a plus but not a necessity, cost is definitely a consideration, must be accurate and easy to use without prisms on the flag poles.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I bought the GX-3 early last spring and have really enjoyed it, my regular playing partner has a GPS and we compare distances frequently and they are always within a yard or two of each other. I do think the red display is easier on the eyes than some of the other displays I have seen.

Today, I will do what others will not so that...

Tomorrow, I will do what others can not

I bought the GX-3 early last spring and have really enjoyed it, my regular playing partner has a GPS and we compare distances frequently and they are always within a yard or two of each other. I do think the red display is easier on the eyes than some of the other displays I have seen.

I have the GX-1, which is great, but if I had to buy it again I'd probably go with the 3 for the red display.

• 11 months later...

Ice,

Joe

Santa brought me a GX-2i this morning. I can't wait to try it out on the course next week. It is too cold in TX to use it now, but will be back in sunny southern AZ next week. This could be SWEET!!!

Joe

Archived