Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Number of Testers
Signup Cutoff Date:
962 signups
Equipment Type: Grips
Vendor: Star Grips

Star-Feature.jpg

One of the most overlooked items on a golf club is the grip. Yet it is our single connection point to the golf club and shaft. Star Grips is not as well-known as some of the big names but they have a long history and provide grips purpose-built for the air-compressor installation method.

About Star Grips

Star-Standard.jpg

If you haven’t heard of Star Grips, this is what they have to say about their brand, history and product: 

“Founded in 2001, Star Grip has been manufacturing golf grips in the USA for over 20 years. Made from our proprietary StarTack EPDM compound, our grips are produced using a seamless injection molding process which results in unmatched quality, performance, and consistency with a weight tolerance of +/-1 gram. They are also unquestionably some of the longest-lasting grips in the industry. As such, we are proud to offer an unprecedented 3-year durability guarantee on every grip we make - whether purchased directly from us or from any of our dealers located around the world. If they become hard, slick, or crack within 3 years, just contact us, and we'll send you a free replacement!”

Star Grips offers four different grips for full-swing clubs: The Sidewinder 350*, which is offered in eight different colors; the Classic Wrap and Tour Star+ 360* in four different colors, and the Smoother Wrap in black. As a bonus, Star Grips also offers a free installation gun when orders exceed $100.

Star-Tour.jpg

What Is Being Tested

With bold claims about having the longest-lasting grips in the industry and an exceptionally long warranty, Star Grips is providing four testers with a full set of grips (13) of their choosing.

Testers will install, test, review and keep the grips to tell us how they really perform! Do Star Grips live up to these claims?

Do you want to be our next tester?

Star-Wrap.jpg

*Registration closes March 6.
*Testers announced March 12 on the Forum.
*Open to registered Forum members worldwide.
*Installation can be done by tester or shop. However, the cost is at the tester's expense.

Star-ACInstall.jpg

109 Comments

2 minutes ago, Mike10487 said:

I grabbed one of these from the PGA show a couple years back. I have moved it to 3 wedges. It has zero wear marks. The only issue I have with it is sweaty hands.  Great grip! 

I almost forgot. Super easy to blow it off and reinstall! Literally less than 2 min.

I was going to regrip mine anyway,this would be great to win.Saves on the cost  of grips And I do have my own regriping station I just got.

Super interested in trying the air compressor method. I used to game Iomic grips, but stopped due to them wearing down too quickly. I wonder how the tackiness of the compare to the Iomic offerings.

Some of the off brand grips are better than the top branded ones, Ionic makes great grips, black widow which was discontinued in the US made great grips as well.  Golfpride, Lamkin and others are just playing on their brand recognition.

7 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

A little early - but I'm in a good mood and am really excited for this so we are off and running! 

Who is ready to try and test some grips that claim to last at minimum 3 years!

I’m in 

I have been Re-Gripping clubs since the 80's, Interested to see how they compare.  Three year guarantee with replacement is a bold statement, 

I'm always on the lookout for good quality, coloured grips to match my bag setup and last. Considering I TRY to play 3 or 4 rounds a week longevity of the grips are normally an issue, especially with my 56' Wedge and Driver

In the past tried

• MCC+: Find they lasted a season due to the cord part showing high wear
  • Win DriTac: great in the dry but are like a bar of soap when wet
  • Numerous other grips

Was told that due to the dye used in colour grips they wear quicker so at the moment reverted back to Lamkin Crossline.

Be interested in the results of this.

I also marvel at the grips that some of my friends play with, some haven't changed them in 15+ years. I have been known to take hold of a driver of a friend and shame them to get it re-gripped.

4 minutes ago, medievaldave said:

I have been Re-Gripping clubs since the 80's, Interested to see how they compare.  Three year guarantee with replacement is a bold statement, 

I’ve been regripping since the 80’s as well and absolutely love these grips ! 

I would have to see them!! 3 years?  And I am not sending a photo...so unsubscribe me of I can't be selected without one.

3 year grips? Wow. Hopefully we get some testers in hot/humid areas that tend to wear out grips quickly to see how long they last. Might be one of the first reviews where we have multi-year followups!

Did club repair/custom builds/gripping for 35+ years, so I have tried and used many different grips.    would love to try Star ...   being honest... never heard of them.  THANKS

I currently have Pure grips which also can be installed without tape. Would love to try out the Star grips as Pure has gone out of business.

Looking forward to trying these grips, currently playing the Pure grips. Interested to see the difference. Love the fact that they can be blown on as well. Golf season just around the corner!

I'm not applying to test them. I did that about 20 years ago, and adopted them as my standard for my own clubs and recommend them to those for whom I make clubs. Still my standard! They are on all my own clubs except the putter. I used to use them on my putter as well, but I had to go to arm-lock putting and they don't make an extra-long putter grip for that.

The reasons I like them so much:

• Feel! They are pliable, not hard, without being mushy like a lot of "soft" grips.
  • Longevity! I have never had to replace a Star Grip due to wear. In fact, almost never due to anything. Just wash with a good, grease-cutting detergent and they feel like brand new again. You can do that forever, as far as I have been able to test. I have been playing my irons for seven years three times a week, and still very happy with the original Star Midsize Tour Wraps on them.
  • Ease of installation! Blowing them on is easier than the usual routine, with one additional bonus: you don't have to use the double-sided grip tape to get it on and keep it on. Tapeless installation.
  • Ease of removal! I have had a lot of success blowing them off. Not only a lot easier than cutting them off, but they are usually undamaged and ready for re-use. Yes, re-use. I mentioned they never wear out. So why would I want to remove them from a club? Things like changing the club length, re-shafting, adding a counterweight... And for those operations, it's an advantage to be able to put the same grip back on. Try that with Golf Pride, Winn, or Lamkin grips and you might get 50% re-usable if you're good at it.

As someone who does the majority of all my club work I’m very interested to see how the install and longevity of these grips go. 

Would love to give them a whirl! 

1 hour ago, ZackS said:

I haven’t used these but have been impressed with the similar pure grips and love the air compressor install method. Good luck to the applicants 

My understanding is that Pure was a spinoff company of Star Grip people who liked the product but didn't think the Star marketing was good enough. So they made very similar grips, but pushed them harder with advertising, trade shows, etc.

As I said in my own post, Star has been my standard on my own clubs and my recommendation to others, for almost 20 years. 3-year warrantee? No sweat! I've never had to change a worn Star grip in all that time.

21 minutes ago, vman1964 said:

I currently have Pure grips which also can be installed without tape. Would love to try out the Star grips as Pure has gone out of business.

Pure and Star are very similar in material. I believe Pure was staffed with ex-Star employees.

This is a great opportunity.  It's because of Star Grips that I now use air to put on all my grips.  So much easier than messing with solvent and you can interchange them whenever you want or adjust easily if needed!

I've never heard of these but they look awesome. Would love to try these out on all my clubs. Currently using mostly stock grips but have been considering upgrading all just not confident what I would like. Interesting installation method with no tape using compressed air. 

As a logo down preference type of guy, I kind of like that they have no logo or markings on them. I've always regripped my own clubs and even though I put them down, I still have to tinker with them a bit to make sure they are aligned and straight on the bottom side. 

Minor detail that could save an entire 5 seconds per club! 😆

I have used Pure grips for a long time and bummed that that they went out of business - I have been meaning to test out Star a an alternative.

This Test is now closed to further comments.