Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Wilson FYbrid HS Fairway Utility Review

Addicted2Golf

Original Blog Post (with pics): http://www.addicted2golf.net/?p=968

I've had a distance gap between my 15 degree 3 Wood and 24 degree 4 hybrid for quite some time. I tolerated it mostly because I wasn't looking forward to going through the tedious process of finding a reliable club to fill it. A recent search on eBay for a matching 5-wood yielded nothing and I find stronger lofted hybrids harder to hit.

So, when Wilson Golf gave A2G an opportunity to review some of their 2010 line, one of the clubs I was most excited about was the FYBrid FY Club. According to Wilson, the FY offers maximum versatility, serving as a second fairway wood, strong hybrid or longest iron replacement. At 41" in length and 19.5 degree of loft, it seemed the perfect solution to my yardage gap problem. But, would this new Wilson perform well enough to earn a spot in my bag?

Pros

First, the aesthetics. Is the FYbrid closer to a fairway wood or a hybrid? The club head size is smaller than my fairway wood but significantly larger than my hybrid with a one inch longer shaft length so it falls squarely in between the two. I like how this club sets up behind the ball. The larger head is a confidence builder and the face sits very square. I had no issues lining the FY up on my target making it an extremely accurate approach club.

The neutral gray finish, small simple alignment aid and traditional shape makes for a very conservative look at address. I wish more manufacturers would follow Wilson's lead here.

The HS stands for "Heavy Sole" and it moves the center of gravity 7% lower and 11% deeper in the head resulting in higher launch and stronger ball flight. This was immediately evident the first time I hit the FYbrid - the ball rockets off the face and gets up in a hurry. The 60 gram, UST/Mamiya AXIVCore shaft is described as a mid to high launch shaft and it performs as advertised. If you have trouble with hitting off the deck with your fairway wood or hybrid now then you MUST try this club.

The heavy sole also provides a couple of other benefits. This is a very SOLID feeling and sounding club. If your grip pressure is light enough to feel the club head going back (as it should be) then you will not lose the weighty FYbrid in your back swing. It almost swings itself. The lower center of gravity also helps in heavy rough. On long par 4's or par 5's, the FYbrid quickly became my "go-to" club when I missed the fairway and had to hit out of the second cut.

Cons

My miss with the Fybrid was a high ballooning fade, but I couldn't tell the result until I observed the ball flight. There is very little feedback on misses. Balls hit all over the club face feel almost exactly the same, which isn't always a good thing.

It is easy to move the ball left or right but the mid-to-high ball flight is pre-programmed. All but the most skilled players will find it difficult to control trajectory on full shots with the FYbrid.

Last (and most certainly least), I'm not a big fan of the zippered head cover. Yes, the design makes it less likely to slip off the club, but it's also a pain to get on and off. I would probably replace it at some point.

Final Word

It might have escaped your attention but Wilson has been putting out some great product lately. The FYbrid HS Fairway utility is certainly no exception. I highly recommend you include Wilson on your demo list if you're looking for a fairway wood or hybrid. I will be placing the FY Club in my personal bag and that is the highest praise I can give it.

The FYbrid line retails for $149.99 and comes in 3+ through 5h lofts with left handed versions available in all but the 3+. For more information, visit Wilson's website.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Hasn't escaped mine, I played my FyBrid 5 wood this weekend, had about 5 different shots with it, and hit each one smooth and clean. I love the Proforce shaft also.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

I would love to try this in a slightly heavier shaft option. 60g in the hybrid is way to light IMO.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I would love to try this in a slightly heavier shaft option. 60g in the hybrid is way to light IMO.

Nic, I didn't catch that until you mentioned it. I went back and looked at the spec sheet and I made a mistake. The 60 gram shaft (R Flex) is used in the fairway lofts. They use a heavier shaft (65 gram in R Flex, 67 gram in S Flex) in the hybrid lofts including the 19.5 degree FY.

I corrected it on the blog post. Thanks for the feedback sir!

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

I have last years (2009) FYbrid (19.5) and absolutely love the shaft. It's a perfect long iron/short wood.

Have hit a couple career shots with it from 240 out. My 3 wood is another 10-15 yards longer but is much harder to hit.

I happen to like the zippered head cover. It does take a second to put back on but you know it's secure.

It took me awhile to trust it, but it's become a favorite 'go to' club at this point.

Archived