Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Driver Shaft Adapters

I've been testing a new Cobra Fly-Z+ I recently purchased. Here's an easy question for you guys...

I've been testing this driver with the stock shaft it came with (S) and the flip-zone (front & back) weighting. I've also tried a couple other shafts (Cobra S & R flex) a friend over at Golf Headquarters let me try. The other day I received a Cobra shaft ® I purchased that already had the adapter on it. As I was looking at the shaft I noticed that the adapter seemed to not be seated squarely. For example if you held the shaft at eye level and looked down the shaft from butt end toward the tip while rotating it you'd notice the adapter is not square. Or perhaps concentric with the shaft. You'll notice it moves either slightly up or down while rotating.

I was showing a guy at my office and he agreed. Then it hit me this morning. It's not supposed to be square as that's how by changing the shaft loft setting you can adjust loft either up or down. So this morning I pulled the shaft stock shaft from the Cobra and it's just like the one I purchased. Like I described above it's also slightly offset when looking down the shaft and rotating it.

I suppose I'm a little late to the game but is this the way these things are designed? I'm now assuming they are. How else would you be able to change loft if they were not offset in some manner. 

Your thoughts?

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

That's how the adapter changes the loft/lie/face angle. They used persimmon technology to modernize drivers.

Watch this video from Wishon and it'll all make sense

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

That's how the adapter changes the loft/lie/face angle. They used persimmon technology to modernize drivers.

Watch this video from Wishon and it'll all make sense

Thanks for reminding me of this. I'm a Wishon guy as I play his 771 irons. I've watched this video before and again just now. He's a smart guy for sure.

I think this answered my question also and why the adapters on these shafts are not squaire. They can't be if the intended purpose is to affect face angle and lie. (not loft)

I'm still going to watch this again as there's a lot to think about IMO.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Oh it now adjusts “loft” just a different definition of it. That's why I wrote it like I did lol

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I'm a bit confused. In a pre-shot routine, a player lines up the shot, picks a target, approaches the teed ball, aligns the club behind the ball trying to square the face to the target line. Am I wrong?

In doing so, isn't the player that has been fit for an open or shut face angle negating the face adjustment? Isn't that true regardless of whether the club is or isn't adjustable?

<p>In my bag: Ping G LS Tec 9* Tour 65 Stiff, Cobra F8 3-4 wood HZRDUS Yellow 6.0, Calloway 21* X Forged Utility iron (steel stiff), Ping G30 white dot 4-9 Stiff 110 gm KBS tours  Scor 48,52,56,60 Wedges, Nike Method Core MC3</p><p>

I'm a bit confused. In a pre-shot routine, a player lines up the shot, picks a target, approaches the teed ball, aligns the club behind the ball trying to square the face to the target line. Am I wrong?

In doing so, isn't the player that has been fit for an open or shut face angle negating the face adjustment? Isn't that true regardless of whether the club is or isn't adjustable?

I always like to use the wedge analogy to explain how it works. Imagine you have a wedge in hand and open the face up - two things happen (a) you have increased loft and (b the leading edge is not facing towards the target is it?

Effective loft always assumes a square club face to target line, so therefore, in order to return the open faced wedge back to square (align leading edge to target) the face will have to be closed and less loft results. This is basically how the same principle works with drivers. An open faced driver has less loft when returned to square. The oppsosite applies to a closed face driver it has more loft when returned to square.

Both principles have useful cause and effect symptoms. A golfer who slices for example will benefit from a closed faced driver (a) to help keep the face squarer at impact and (b to give added loft to combat sidespin.

The opposite would apply to an open faced driver. It has the benefit of a reduced loft (a)  to combat hooking or enhance a slight draw and (b the reduced loft also reduces spin to help workability in either direction. In other words, open face assists the stronger golfer.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. I think I was also misunderstanding the relationship of the leading edge and the face angle (wedge analogy was apt), i.e. that aligning a open/close face driver would square the leading edge as opposed to the face.

Always enjoy your posts.

<p>In my bag: Ping G LS Tec 9* Tour 65 Stiff, Cobra F8 3-4 wood HZRDUS Yellow 6.0, Calloway 21* X Forged Utility iron (steel stiff), Ping G30 white dot 4-9 Stiff 110 gm KBS tours  Scor 48,52,56,60 Wedges, Nike Method Core MC3</p><p>

Archived