Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Nike Vr tour vs Vr str8-fit driver

polarisdude94

Looking for a new driver for next year and was wondering if anyone has tried these side by side and has some opinions. Also if you have either of these drivers please leave your feedback. And do you think I should wait for the new Vr pro driver? will it be worth the extra money?

Thanks.

I have the VR str8-fit and at first I hated it, but I have come to love it. I have hit both side by side and the Str8-fit was better, but my VR has a UST Mamiya ATTAS and the Tour just had a stock shaft. I really don't think there would have been any difference at all, if it wasn't for the shaft. The reason I didn't like the driver at first is because if you don't hit the sweet spot, it doesn't go anywhere. My Cobra S9-1 Pro trumped the VR, simply because it was significantly longer on off center hits. Now that my swing is back in shape, I prefer the VR. Really the only thing I don't like about it is how shallow the face is. My S9-1 is the shallow and the VR is quite a bit more shallow. I always carry both with me and decide which to use after my warm up session. For me, I know there aren't going to be any significant playability changes to a club when a new release comes out. When I go to buy a new driver, I hit the previous releases, which are usually around 50% off. Hope that helps.

There is little innovation left in driver technology anymore. The face height, head size, head volume, its moment of inertia, its coefficient of restitution (the springiness of the face) and overall length have all had limits put on them. They can do stuff with face roll (vertical curvature) and bulge (horizontal curvature), but both have points of diminishing returns (not to mention, a profound effect of the appearance of the face at address). Same goes for weight distribution: there is such a thing as too low and too high, too forward or too rearward; there's also the effect of the weight on the effective loft of the head, or making its overall weight too heavy (or light).

It's very possible that you could hit either club very well... so long as you're properly fit. The Vr Tour comes with its face 2* open at address. This means the effective loft at impact will be 2* less than what's stated on the head (open face, subtract loft; closed face add loft- both on a 1 to 1 ratio; 0* face angle= no change),. Hopefully you have a really fast clubhead speed to make this work effectively. The Vr Str8-Fit has the adjustable face stuff... meaning, if you really wanted to, you could set the club 2* open.

Don't worry about the shaft- if you get properly fitted, you should get the shaft the fitter recommends. It's impossible to tell without a lot more info which option could be best for your personal needs. You could go to Golfworks.com and try their Maltby Playability Factor. It'd give you a ballpark idea and save you a lot of time and effort hit-testing unneccessary shafts.

The VR Tour does have a longer hosel, meaning it could be adjusted flat or upright, but lie angle is negligible on long clubs- due to physics, they're going to bow at impact- basically self-correcting itself, so long as the shaft's properly fit. It's the shorter clubs (6 or 7i to wedges; but with some people, long irons as well) that need correct lie angles the most, since they do little bowing at impact.

So, it's up to you- depending on the face roll and bulge, and having your personal "it" shaft (this is where the proper fitting comes in)- both can basically be the same club. One's just going to cost a little less.

• SPY VIP

I've hit both (extensively) and what I've come to believe is that the Tour is slightly longer, the STR8-Fit is much more forgiving (actually, the word I should probably use is accurate - at least as it relates to proximity to the center line).

In my opinion, where the two really differentiate are in sound and feel. Some people love the STR8-Fit's "pop", but I'm not one of them. Although I bagged the STR8-Fit for the majority of the summer and was plenty satisfied with the tangibles (distance/accuracy), but I also found the intangibles (sound/feel) lacking. The sound and feel of the Tour (non-ajustable) model is significantly better, but the accuracy loss was too much of a trade off for me.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Archived