Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Jim Suttie: You get what you set

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2011/dec/06/jim-suttie-you-get-what-you-set/

It seems like everybody is trying to hit the ball farther. I think most of us would rather hit it 20 yards farther than make a 60-foot putt.

Distance is produced by three main mechanical factors: leverage, coil and swing arc. In this tip, I will confine my comments to leverage.

For simplistic purposes, I will limit my definition of leverage to the cocking and uncocking of the wrists, and the folding and extending of the right arm on the backswing and the downswing. Many golfers are plagued by short, stiff-wristed backswings with little or no turn. This is especially true with the senior golfer.

Sometimes this is caused by a poor grip or sometimes it can be caused by a poor setup. And sometimes this might be caused by the wrong type of takeaway for your flexibility level.

Essentially, there are three types of takeaways that are presently taught.

The most commonly taught takeaway is the one-piece takeaway. This takeaway is essentially an all-together motion that keeps the hands out of the motion, and emphasizes taking it away with the shoulders and the bigger muscles.

The second type of takeaway is the arms-dominant takeaway. This takeaway is often called the sequential takeaway as it emphasizes the order of movement. This takeaway is predominately the one used on the PGA Tour.

The last takeaway that is taught is the hands-dominated takeaway. In this takeaway, the clubhead starts first, and then the hands, and then the arms and finally, the shoulders turn.

This brings us back to our tip for this week.

Oftentimes I see senior players who don't get the club set at the top of their swing. When the hands and wrists are not set, the swing arc will be limited. The result is usually an over-the-top, arms-and-shoulder-dominated downswing. This robs you of power and clubhead speed because you have not built in your natural leverage on the backswing.

If you are doing things correctly, you should have three 90-degree angles at the top of your swing: No. 1, a 90- degree shoulder turn; No. 2, A 90-degree wrist cock; and No. 3, a 90-degree right arm fold. Many players, for one reason or another, are short of this 90 degrees with their wrist cock.

This could be due to inflexible wrists, a hand injury, a poor grip, high hands at address or any number of things. If this is your swing, then I would recommend that you set your wrists earlier on your backswing.

This can be done by pushing down on the handle of the club as you take the club away. Make sure you turn your shoulders as you do this.

So if you are in need of more distance and you know your swing arc, backswing turn, and arm swing is limited, then try the Early Set. Remember, you get what you set.

Dr. Jim Suttie, 2000 National PGA Teacher of the Year, is available for lessons at Suttie Golf at The Club at Twin Eagles North Naples and Cog Hill Golf Club, Lemont, Ill. For lessons and program information call 800-765-3838 or [email protected].

Archived