Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

From Nickent to ... Hello Kitty Golf?!?!

Moecat

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equipment/blogs/newstuff/2012/01/introducinghello-kitty-golf.html

Hello%20Kitty%20Golf.jpg

Is there room in a weak economy and a flat sport for another equipment company, particularly one called Hello Kitty Golf, featuring the familiar white Japanese bobtail cat logo? Why not, inasmuch as its focus will be on two generally underserved constituencies, girls' and women's golf.

Hello Kitty Golf is a new venture run by Michael Lee, who founded Nickent Golf (now owned by Dick's Sporting Goods).

"This brand was conceived in June of last year," he said. "We were approached by Sanrio [Hello Kitty's parent company] USA to help them do a line of golf equipment and accessories. What we produced is a few hundred SKUs [stock keeping units, or individual products within a line], from junior sets to accessories, headcovers, divot tools, ball markers, balls and full ladies' sets. We retained most of the design staff from Nickent into this new company and it designed the entire Hello Kitty set."

Three girls' sets will be available -- a set for three to five-year olds that includes a 4-hybrid, a 7-iron, a putter, stand bag and headcover ($139.99); a set for six to eight-year olds that includes a driver, 4-hybrid, 7-iron, sand wedge, putter, standbag and headcovers ($179.99); and a set for nine to 12-year old olds, featuring a driver, 4-hybrid, 7- and 9-irons, sand wedge, putter, stand bag and headcovers ($199.99).

"I have an 11-year old daughter," Lee said. "She started golf the year before. The pro shop gave her a 7-iron. Then I tried to buy her a set at the country club. The pro said all the clubs are unisex. I saw my little girl and she said, 'What?' She couldn't believe it. Girls and boys are very distinctive at that age. When the Hello Kitty opportunity came up, I became a super hero dad."

The Hello Kitty women's set includes a driver, 4-and 7-woods, a 5-hybrid, 7-iron through pitching wedge, sand wedge, putter and mix-and-match cart bag and headcovers available in a variety of colors ($799.99).

-- John Strege

For the younger girls I honestly kind of like the idea. If it draws younger girls into the game, and helps them fall in love with it, I say its a wonderful idea. Heck what little girl wouldn't love spending more time with their father, and getting some Hello Kitty swag on top of it.

Driver--Taylormade RBZ Tour 9* Aldila RIP Phenom 65s

Fairway Metal--Taylormade R11s 14* Aldila RIP Phenom 70s

Hybrid--Taylormade RBZ Tour 18.5* RE-AX 85 gram S

Irons--Nike Vr Pro-Combo 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300

Wedges--Nike SV Tour Forged 50*, 56*, 60* True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter--Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

Ball--Taylormade Lethal

Grips--Lamkin R.E.L 3Gen (Woods-green, Irons-red, Wedges-white)

• SPY VIP

Absolutely guys...I think this is great too. I found out about this last week and immediately added their booth to my PGA Show Planner.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Archived