Jump to content

Best training aids to encourage the correct ball flight?


Recommended Posts

I have an excessively high ball flight that lacks any spin control. It renders 9 iron through lob wedge useless in the wind. Even without wind, the distance dispersion across all clubs is really holding me back. Would appreciate any training aid recommendations

Edited by Bobby Centlivre
Link to comment
10 hours ago, Bobby Centlivre said:

I have an excessively high ball flight that lacks any spin control. It renders 9 iron through lob wedge useless in the wind. Even without wind, the distance dispersion across all clubs is really holding me back. Would appreciate any training aid recommendations

Your statements are pretty generic and difficult to assess.  Not sure what a lack of spin control means….too much, too,little?  9 iron through lob should be clubs you can flight down.  What is wrong with your distance dispersion?   
Training aids are designed to help solve a particular problem and we don’t know the source of your self described high ball flight?  Is it a swing or equipment issue? 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

 

Link to comment

Agree with cnosil, it's hard to say without more information. The aids I use the most are a mirror and/or tripod for my phone. You can see instant feedback from the mirror on your spine, club path, etc. Recording yourself and playing the video back in slow motion is extremely helpful as well.

I'm a hockey player playing golf today.
TSR3, Ventus Blue Velocore 7X
JPX 921 Tour Irons
Evnroll EV5.1
ProV1x

Link to comment

You are likely stalling the body and throwing the arms creating loads more loft at impact. Something basic to sync the arms and pivot would do wonders. A band, a ball, a small range bucket.

 

image.png.e189efbd45b4718758ab2d296f3c3478.png

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

  • Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!
Link to comment
14 hours ago, cnosil said:

Your statements are pretty generic and difficult to assess.  Not sure what a lack of spin control means….too much, too,little?  9 iron through lob should be clubs you can flight down.  What is wrong with your distance dispersion?   
Training aids are designed to help solve a particular problem and we don’t know the source of your self described high ball flight?  Is it a swing or equipment issue? 

Sorry for my poor description. Pretty confident it is swing not equipment related, happens with other sets as well. I have too much spin with each of my clubs with a very high launch angle. I have a tendency to come over the top which doesn’t help but even when I am on plane the problems persist. My comment on distance dispersion: seemingly similar quality shots have a high variance in carry. For my PW it is ~25yds and that range increases with longer irons. If that prompts any ideas, any tips would be appreciated.

Link to comment

Do you pull the ball at all? Id guess open club face and early release. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Link to comment
8 hours ago, Bobby Centlivre said:

Sorry for my poor description. Pretty confident it is swing not equipment related, happens with other sets as well. I have too much spin with each of my clubs with a very high launch angle. I have a tendency to come over the top which doesn’t help but even when I am on plane the problems persist. My comment on distance dispersion: seemingly similar quality shots have a high variance in carry. For my PW it is ~25yds and that range increases with longer irons. If that prompts any ideas, any tips would be appreciated.

My non educated opinion would be the same as others: flipping the club at impact.  As a 9 handicap, you probably have somewhat effective contact.  To find the right training aid, you really need to understand why you are doing what you are doing and fix the cause if the problem.   Ideally a qualified instructor; you could do smart ball, maybe plane mate to help with sequencing or montes no turn cast drill. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

 

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...