Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Stop Putter from going right after impact

I’m working on my putting and for some reason I can’t get my putter to continue on an arc after impact. It goes out to the right leading to very inconsistent putts. I’m attaching a photo at impact which I can get the putter back fairly ok to square but the second pic you can see it travels out to the right. Any drills or feelings you can recommend to get it to continue on the inside and follow the arc? Thanks!

530EE994-FFDB-40C9-BB42-044444910E48.png

48298DDC-7B1E-4049-B0D1-40698B1CBF70.png

Out of curiosity have you tried going left hand low to see if the same thing happens? 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

19 minutes ago, treeleaf20 said:

I’m working on my putting and for some reason I can’t get my putter to continue on an arc after impact. It goes out to the right leading to very inconsistent putts. I’m attaching a photo at impact which I can get the putter back fairly ok to square but the second pic you can see it travels out to the right. Any drills or feelings you can recommend to get it to continue on the inside and follow the arc? Thanks!

what are you trying to do in your stroke and how do you power the stroke?  What does “inconsistent” mean?  Looking at the ball in both photos, the ball seems to be on a straight line from where it started; f it is to the right it is probably face angle related. 

IMO, you use your right arm/right side to move the putter and you are consciously holding the putter open and/or chasing down the line.  It looks like your hands are moving away from the body n the second photo.   If you want to stop the putter from going outside put something outside the toe of the putter that prevents it from happening. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 minutes ago, cnosil said:

what are you trying to do in your stroke and how do you power the stroke?  What does “inconsistent” mean?  Looking at the ball in both photos, the ball seems to be on a straight line from where it started; f it is to the right it is probably face angle related. 

IMO, you use your right arm/right side to move the putter and you are consciously holding the putter open and/or chasing down the line.  It looks like your hands are moving away from the body n the second photo.   If you want to stop the putter from going outside put something outside the toe of the putter that prevents it from happening. 

I'm just trying to keep my middle section very square to the line and rock the shoulders. I feel like I'm powering it with my left side actually and then I feel like I really have to side bend or force my hands around the left side on the follow through to keep the arc.

17 minutes ago, treeleaf20 said:

I'm just trying to keep my middle section very square to the line and rock the shoulders. I feel like I'm powering it with my left side actually and then I feel like I really have to side bend or force my hands around the left side on the follow through to keep the arc.

Did you fight a left miss in the past?  Based on what you are saying here you are probably pulling the putter down the down the line.  Put a barricade up that prevents you from going outside.  It is going to feel different.  

you still haven’t said what you inconsistencies are.  Are you just trying to make your stroke look “ideal”. 

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Did you fight a left miss in the past?  Based on what you are saying here you are probably pulling the putter down the down the line.  Put a barricade up that prevents you from going outside.  It is going to feel different.  

you still haven’t said what you inconsistencies are.  Are you just trying to make your stroke look “ideal”. 

Yes, my miss is always left. I mean for inconsistencies is that one day they are going fairly straight and other days it's left it's right. It's harder to manage the face when the path is different depending on the day (I know that can be said for anything in golf haha)

33 minutes ago, treeleaf20 said:

Yes, my miss is always left. I mean for inconsistencies is that one day they are going fairly straight and other days it's left it's right. It's harder to manage the face when the path is different depending on the day (I know that can be said for anything in golf haha)

Your right biased path is probably a compensation for the left miss.    I'd personally probably focus less on path since face angle influences 85-95% of the balls direction.  The percent is based on whatever study you happen to read.  As long as your path is fairly consistent,  you should be okay.    Do you have your make percentages from various distances?  What is your 50/50 distance? Are you missing from 3 feet and in?  Lots of mid round adjustments based on miss?  

Also,  are you trying to keep your elbows tucked into your sides?   Pictures make it look that way.   If so,  trying to use shoulder rotation with arms into your sides isn't a good combination and you will have a tendency to close the putter going back and then open going through.  David Orr has some videos on this.

Don’t have stats unfortunately. However, on the course I struggle mightily from 5 feet and in with pulls left. I’m much better from further away my or at least feels like it. It’s much more consistent even on the indoor mat I have, I rarely miss from the 9 feet and it’s just going left from 4 feet. I feel like if it’s slower my face closes faster 

18 hours ago, treeleaf20 said:

Don’t have stats unfortunately. However, on the course I struggle mightily from 5 feet and in with pulls left. I’m much better from further away my or at least feels like it. It’s much more consistent even on the indoor mat I have, I rarely miss from the 9 feet and it’s just going left from 4 feet. I feel like if it’s slower my face closes faster 

Your misses aren't path related, they are face related.   My guess would be that from 5 feet and in your are trying to watch the putt go into the hole.   Try the Quiet Eye approach and look at where the ball was for a longer period of time, count slowing from 1 to 4 while putting (1 starts the stroke, 2 starts the forward swing, 3 is impact, and 4 is look at the result;  try same rhythm for a 5 footer as a 20 footer.) and/or close your eyes when you putt to see what happens.   also setup some gates to putt the ball through to improve face control;  multiple gates available online like the Pelz tutor, Visio or Eyeline products, setup your own or putt down a yardstick.