Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Driver Shaft Question

sgold7

Last weekend my driver shaft cracked. I'm now starting to look into a new shaft. 

I play the Mizuno ST 180 Driver & 3w. 

Drive - MT CK Blue 70 Flex-x

3 Wood - MT CK Gray 70 Flex-x

I stink with my long clubs because my speed is 120+. I suck at golf, this is not a brag, I just cant control my long clubs. After 5 years of smashing drivers OB right - the shaft broke. I threw the driver head on the 3w shaft and hopefully I can start to hit that straight (doubtful) --- but marked off, using the Grint, a 325 yard drive with the driver head on the 3w (I hit 4/5 OB - I'm not normally THIS bad, but I hadn't played in 4+ months and the driver is always hit or miss). 

My question would be - if I wanted to buy a used shaft to replace my old one, what would you recommend? (Ie - I'd rather not go to CC again and get fitted into a $500+ 

One more piece of info: When I originally got fit - I wasn't hitting driver at all. Only 3w off the Tee. So my numbers from Club Champion show my 3w carry average of 248 & my driver carry of 256 with speeds in the 105 range. Thanks to the swing sticks, the speed is now significantly up (I did a post on that as well). I put a lot of work in with my driver to go from a -1.1 Attack angle to a plus angle in addition to the increased speed. The shaft that fit me at the time was the Ture Temper Project X Even Flow lack 65 - 6.5. Considering my speed is significantly up, I'm doubtful that this would be appropriate for me now. 

If anyone can point me in the direction of a shaft that might benefit my game, preferably used (I laugh at spending 500 on a shaft while I suck this bad - it would only infuriate me more out there, lol!), it would be beyond greatly appreciated. 

Thanks! 

PS - If your driver is not stiff enough --- would your miss theoretically be right? Ie - a stiffer driver shaft could/would help straighten me out? 

:mizuno-small: ST 180 Driver & 3W

:mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 4i-GW

:mizuno-small: S18 Wedges

The same putter I used since I was 12 years old

#TrustTheProcess 

32 minutes ago, sgold7 said:

My question would be - if I wanted to buy a used shaft to replace my old one, what would you recommend? (Ie - I'd rather not go to CC again and get fitted into a $500+ 

You don’t have to get fitted into a $500+ shaft at CC. Tell the fitter your budget. 

There’s a bunch of shafts that could work. Nobody here could tell you which one is the best and you could end up with 50 different recommendations.

The cheapest way is to go to a local shop and ask to demo shafts for your head at find what works and then buy that shaft, or go for a fitting and find out. Local fitters will be able to do this too

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

8 minutes ago, sgold7 said:

Appreciate the insight, Ricky. If you aint first... you're last! 

I don’t recall what stock options are for the Mizuno but some options to maybe narrow down your search that are pretty standard across the board and good are

tensei av raw white 

hzrdus smoke green and black 

Diaman kai’li

aftermarket

tensei 1k white and black 

ventus and ventus tr with velocore 

Stay on x flex and either 60 or 70g

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Appreciate the details there, RickyB. Going to go down a bit of a rabbit hole on these shafts. The CC near me is no more so I'd rather not get formally fitted, but I do know that it's probably the right thing for me. Thanks again! 

:mizuno-small: ST 180 Driver & 3W

:mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 4i-GW

:mizuno-small: S18 Wedges

The same putter I used since I was 12 years old

#TrustTheProcess 

35 minutes ago, sgold7 said:

Appreciate the details there, RickyB. Going to go down a bit of a rabbit hole on these shafts. The CC near me is no more so I'd rather not get formally fitted, but I do know that it's probably the right thing for me. Thanks again! 

Anytime. Good luck