Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Left Handed Fitting Challenges

Josh Parker

I am currently sitting at around a 11 hcp and have never been fitted for irons.  I have been as low as a 2 hcp but that was years ago when I worked at a course and could play daily.  I have been looking around my town at different fitting locations and options because I am finally at a place where I can play more often and want to get data on my swing and what clubs work best.  The challenge I am facing is, being a lefty, most of the fitting places around offer very limited left handed irons.  

What are the lefties doing for fittings?

What clubs are you playing?

Iron suggestions for my handicap?

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

12 minutes ago, jdparker said:

I am currently sitting at around a 11 hcp and have never been fitted for irons.  I have been as low as a 2 hcp but that was years ago when I worked at a course and could play daily.  I have been looking around my town at different fitting locations and options because I am finally at a place where I can play more often and want to get data on my swing and what clubs work best.  The challenge I am facing is, being a lefty, most of the fitting places around offer very limited left handed irons.  

What are the lefties doing for fittings?

What clubs are you playing?

Iron suggestions for my handicap?

Welcome to the Forum! 

As a fellow lefty, I feel your pain. Buying anything golf is challenging for us - especially in big box stores. I have found that many independent fitters do have oem carts with left hand heads. Not sure if you've tried the smaller fitters or just the box store types - which I wouldn't recommend. I just checked Golf Digest's top 100 fitters and found this indi fitter - you might try calling them and asking about lefty heads

https://www.bartoncreekfittingstudio.com/

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I've only had issues when a release is brand new. 

Rest of the time must fitters or shops in my area have them. 

Hard to have a set recommendation as so many irons work or look better for some vs others. 

P790 is a good iron, DTC brands are great, srixon is underrated. The list will go on and on. 

What would you say your strength is? It's iron play a part that needs help or would you consider it one of the better parts of your game?

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

10 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I've only had issues when a release is brand new. 

Rest of the time must fitters or shops in my area have them. 

Hard to have a set recommendation as so many irons work or look better for some vs others. 

P790 is a good iron, DTC brands are great, srixon is underrated. The list will go on and on. 

What would you say your strength is? It's iron play a part that needs help or would you consider it one of the better parts of your game?

I have been looking at the srixon mk5 and mk7 mixed line up and i have found one location that has the mk5 but not the mk7's.  My iron play is starting to get more consistent now that I am playing more again.  5-PW, I am super comfortable with and still have my mis hits but I also feel like the more I continue to play that will improve so I don't necessarily think that I need to go to a super forgiving club.  I definitely like a thinner profiled club.  

I to had this problem, scheduled a fitting over the phone told them I'm lefthanded. When I got to the fitting the person doing the fitting opened up the drawer where all the heads were and said sorry not sure why they didn't tell you that we only have 2 choices for lefthanded! Wanted to try out the Pings 425 ( didn't have them only the Rouge and Parandim). 

Alan Scalzi 

1 minute ago, Alan Scalzi said:

I to had this problem, scheduled a fitting over the phone told them I'm lefthanded. When I got to the fitting the person doing the fitting opened up the drawer where all the heads were and said sorry not sure why they didn't tell you that we only have 2 choices for lefthanded! Wanted to try out the Pings 425 ( didn't have them only the Rouge and Parandim). 

I did a driver fitting with PXG and asked him what clubs he carried in LH and he had a 7I in 0311 P, XP.  I was interested in trying the 0317.  

I'm going to call a couple more places today and see what they have.  Was hoping for a little bit of a selection.

Decided to call Club Champion, which sent me to the corporate office and they said they carried left handed clubs.  Of course being told that before, I took the 40min drive to confirm because they don't connect you to the local store and was pleasantly suprised by the number of left handed clubs they carry.  Set up an appointment for this Thursday.  We will see what the outcome is.  They pretty much carried every brand and option in LH so looking forward to testing out a few brands that have peaked my interest.  (Titleist, Srixon and Mizuno primarily)

1 hour ago, jdparker said:

Decided to call Club Champion, which sent me to the corporate office and they said they carried left handed clubs.  Of course being told that before, I took the 40min drive to confirm because they don't connect you to the local store and was pleasantly suprised by the number of left handed clubs they carry.  Set up an appointment for this Thursday.  We will see what the outcome is.  They pretty much carried every brand and option in LH so looking forward to testing out a few brands that have peaked my interest.  (Titleist, Srixon and Mizuno primarily)

I did a CC driver fitting about 2 1/2 yrs. ago. Used my 410 as a base comparison and after several head and shaft combinations, the recommendation was a SIM 2 Max D with a Oban Devotion shaft. The price was $900. and the fitter was pretty honest with me. He asked if I wanted to pay $900 to pick up an additional 15 yds. Being retired, I decided to pass but 6 months later bought a 'demo' SIM 2 Max with the same shaft profile as the  Oban for $330. (the Stealth had just come out). The fitting was a great learning experience for me as it told me what heads I didn't want (Titleist, Ping and Callaway were at the top of the list). Oh and I still picked up roughly the same yardage with that 'demo' driver. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

2 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

I did a CC driver fitting about 2 1/2 yrs. ago. Used my 410 as a base comparison and after several head and shaft combinations, the recommendation was a SIM 2 Max D with a Oban Devotion shaft. The price was $900. and the fitter was pretty honest with me. He asked if I wanted to pay $900 to pick up an additional 15 yds. Being retired, I decided to pass but 6 months later bought a 'demo' SIM 2 Max with the same shaft profile as the  Oban for $330. (the Stealth had just come out). The fitting was a great learning experience for me as it told me what heads I didn't want (Titleist, Ping and Callaway were at the top of the list). Oh and I still picked up roughly the same yardage with that 'demo' driver. 

That's what I'm interested to see.  How much more it may end up being.  I'm more interested in learning some numbers and things about my swing and being able to test out a good number of clubs and shafts all in one place.  I have a fairly steep swing and my misses are typically pushed shots.  I appreciate the feedback!

Completed the fitting at CC for the irons and the process was great!  We really dialed in a lot of info and I'm going to end up going with a mixed bag.  Srixon zx5 mkII 4-6 and Srixon zx7 mkII 7-pw with kbs tour v shafts.  I agree, the pricing is quite high if you have a relatively normal set-up and are using a shaft that the manufacturer already provides.  I can see the value if it is something other than stock.  They also pushed the Pure shaft and from what I have read it seems that the results are all over the place on that.  

Overall, it was very informative and I learned a ton about my swing and numbers.  

In general, irons from CC are more competitive priced than driver + shaft is what I have seen.  You can also take all the information you get from the fitting and see if you can have the clubs built elsewhere for less.  Most likely you will be able to get them for less.

The process is awesome, though.  I gave my father in law a fitting for a present and it was like magic for him.  His dispersion tightened up so much and his distance was longer, as well.

Driver: Ping G425 Max 10.5 Fujikara Speeder NX 50r

#3, #5, #7 fairway woods 1 Iron Golf

5-LW irons 1 Iron Golf

Scotty Cameron Del Mar

Lefties Rule!

Edited by panhndl
Double post

Driver: Ping G425 Max 10.5 Fujikara Speeder NX 50r

#3, #5, #7 fairway woods 1 Iron Golf

5-LW irons 1 Iron Golf

Scotty Cameron Del Mar

Lefties Rule!

5 hours ago, panhndl said:

In general, irons from CC are more competitive priced than driver + shaft is what I have seen.  You can also take all the information you get from the fitting and see if you can have the clubs built elsewhere for less.  Most likely you will be able to get them for less.

The process is awesome, though.  I gave my father in law a fitting for a present and it was like magic for him.  His dispersion tightened up so much and his distance was longer, as well.

Yeah, the process was great!  I have always played that "Texas Golf" shot and wanted my longer irons to get some height to them.  We were able to dial in the right shaft and weight and more than doubled the height.