Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Paradym vs. TSi3 - 3 Woods

aguybadatgolf

I’ve never gotten along my current 3W. Was gifted it by my father in law when I started playing a couple years ago now. It’s a Rouge Sub Zero 3+ wood with a regular flex evenflow shaft that I have never been able to hit. I’m a high swing speed player (112-117 with driver) and it’s just too whippy and low launching for me to control when I’m not off a tee. 

There are some good deals right now on the TSi3 and Paradyms. I can even pick the shaft I like. I have a TSi2 Hybrid that I love, favorite club in the bag with a HZRDUS Black Smoke shaft, which I would get these with. I unfortunately am still recovering from ACL surgery and can’t full swing a club until January at which point the sales will end.

Based on what I’ve read I think both would be decent options but am curious if anyone here has played these and has any first hand feedback? 

thanks!

Tester for PingS159 Wedges

Driver - :cobra-small: LTDx LS 9° with UST Mamiya LIN-Q Gunmetal - X

3W - :callaway-logo-1: Paradym 15° with Kai'li™ White - X

3H - :PXG: Gen5 0311 19° with Ventus Blue Velocore - X

Driving Iron - image.png.e20decc564f669047d8ef7d2dbd4734d.png 699 Pro with UST PROFORCE V2 Hybrid White/Yellow - X

Irons - :Sub70: 6-PW 699 Pro in black with Dynamic Gold X100 (+1", 3° Upright) - X 

Wedges - :callaway-logo-1: 50° Jaws MD5, :callaway-logo-1: 54° Jaws MD5, :titleist-small: 58° Vokey SM8 

Putter - :bettinardi-1: Studio Stock #2 Bronze , :cobra-small:KING 3D Printed Agera Armlock Putter (Trying something new), 🦓 Zebra Golf AIT 3 (On time out)

Ball - :srixon-small: Z-Star XV or :vice: Pro (depends on what I can get a deal on) 

I think either option would be fine.   My suggestion would be to look at 4 woods instead of 3 woods.  a little shorter shaft and a little more loft which might help you get more height.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

I think either option would be fine.   My suggestion would be to look at 4 woods instead of 3 woods.  a little shorter shaft and a little more loft which might help you get more height.  

Both have some adjustability so I can go up to 16.5 degrees I’m thinking that might be enough.  That’s roughly a 4 wood but does have a longer shaft as you mentioned. 

Driving Iron - image.png.e20decc564f669047d8ef7d2dbd4734d.png 699 Pro with UST PROFORCE V2 Hybrid White/Yellow - X

Irons - :Sub70: 6-PW 699 Pro in black with Dynamic Gold X100 (+1", 3° Upright) - X 

Wedges - :callaway-logo-1: 50° Jaws MD5, :callaway-logo-1: 54° Jaws MD5, :titleist-small: 58° Vokey SM8 

Putter - :bettinardi-1: Studio Stock #2 Bronze , :cobra-small:KING 3D Printed Agera Armlock Putter (Trying something new), 🦓 Zebra Golf AIT 3 (On time out)

Ball - :srixon-small: Z-Star XV or :vice: Pro (depends on what I can get a deal on) 

I kind of had the same problem with 3 woods myself. Couldnt hit them, would buy the "newest, most forgiving" and it never worked out. Actually didnt even carry any woods (other than driver) for a while, just hybrids. Decided to get fit for a TSR2 4 wood with Titleist. Love my TSR2 4 wood now. Loved it so much I got a TSR2 5 wood too (I dont usually carry the 5 wood in the bag though). Also got the callaway paradym super hybrid in a 2hybrid (dialed it down a degree as well to mimic a 3 wood). Super hybrid is very easy to hit and I get the distance of a 3 wood and it is my go to club on par 5s out the rough or fairway. I use the TSR 4 wood out the fairway and off the tee. I do want to mention that I think the shaft is really important for all these clubs!! I got fitted into all my shafts, I ended buying them on ebay/facebook/2ndswing to save a few dollars though as I got fitted into premium Ventus shafts (love them though). I know you cant swing a club right now, but I dont think it will matter what head you buy, but when able get fitted for the shaft you need/like.

Edited by Sherlock

"Stay in the short grass"

7 hours ago, aguybadatgolf said:

Both have some adjustability so I can go up to 16.5 degrees I’m thinking that might be enough.  That’s roughly a 4 wood but does have a longer shaft as you mentioned. 

Loft adjustment also impacts face angle so it might negatively influence ball flight.  Always best to get the correct loft if you can.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, Sherlock said:

I kind of had the same problem with 3 woods myself. Couldnt hit them, would buy the "newest, most forgiving" and it never worked out. Actually didnt even carry any woods (other than driver) for a while, just hybrids. Decided to get fit for a TSR 4 wood with Titleist. Love my TSR 4 wood now. Loved it so much I got a TSR 5 wood too (I dont usually carry the 5 wood in the bag though). Also got the callaway paradym super hybrid in a 2hybrid (dialed it down a degree as well to mimic a 3 wood). Super hybrid is very easy to hit and I get the distance of a 3 wood and it is my go to club on par 5s out the rough or fairway. I use the TSR 4 wood out the fairway and off the tee. I do want to mention that I think the shaft is really important for all these clubs!! I got fitted into all my shafts, I ended buying them on ebay/facebook/2ndswing to save a few dollars though as I got fitted into premium Ventus shafts (love them though). I know you cant swing a club right now, but I dont think it will matter what head you buy, but when able get fitted for the shaft you need/like.

Good to know! I did pick up a very cheap used Adam’s 3W with a stiff shaft this past summer to see if it was all me or partially the club. I was actually decent with it but didn’t get to use it long before I gifted it to a friend to help get him into golf. 

13 hours ago, aguybadatgolf said:

I’ve never gotten along my current 3W. Was gifted it by my father in law when I started playing a couple years ago now. It’s a Rouge Sub Zero 3+ wood with a regular flex evenflow shaft that I have never been able to hit. I’m a high swing speed player (112-117 with driver) and it’s just too whippy and low launching for me to control when I’m not off a tee. 

There are some good deals right now on the TSi3 and Paradyms. I can even pick the shaft I like. I have a TSi2 Hybrid that I love, favorite club in the bag with a HZRDUS Black Smoke shaft, which I would get these with. I unfortunately am still recovering from ACL surgery and can’t full swing a club until January at which point the sales will end.

Based on what I’ve read I think both would be decent options but am curious if anyone here has played these and has any first hand feedback? 

thanks!

I swing a touch faster than you, but I went into the TM Stealth 2+ 3 wood, and the TSr3 5wood. 

3 wood shaft standard lengths have become way too long. I play my 3 wood about an inch shorter, maybe maybe 1.5” than standard length. Massive difference in control. Both my woods have different shafts though for different purposes.

One thing maybe to suggest is learning and buying your longest wood for hitting off the deck. Hitting off the tee versus the fairway changes the swing dynamics slightly and woods tend to require your swing to be tight.

I also just sold my TSi2 Hybrid with the HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX in favour of the TSr3 5 wood. That shaft did not translate well into my 3 or 5 wood. Originally my TM came with that shaft, has ventus black now.  Titleist went into a Graphite Design AD-DI. The shaft fitting is important, with the amount of adjustability you get with modern woods I’d argue the head is less important. Hope something here helps you out

I like golf. You should like golf. If life is tough, play more golf!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-MJ 6x

Titleist TSr3 18 Degree, Graphite Design Tour Ad-DI 7x

Takomo 301CB's, KBS Tours 120S

Vokey SM8 48 10F, 52 08F, 56 08M, 60 08M

Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini, Versa Scheme, 17" Fatso 3.0 Grip, 40"

Jazz Tacoma Cart Bag

Titleist Pro V1x

55 minutes ago, TylorJudd said:

I swing a touch faster than you, but I went into the TM Stealth 2+ 3 wood, and the TSr3 5wood. 

3 wood shaft standard lengths have become way too long. I play my 3 wood about an inch shorter, maybe maybe 1.5” than standard length. Massive difference in control. Both my woods have different shafts though for different purposes.

One thing maybe to suggest is learning and buying your longest wood for hitting off the deck. Hitting off the tee versus the fairway changes the swing dynamics slightly and woods tend to require your swing to be tight.

I also just sold my TSi2 Hybrid with the HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX in favour of the TSr3 5 wood. That shaft did not translate well into my 3 or 5 wood. Originally my TM came with that shaft, has ventus black now.  Titleist went into a Graphite Design AD-DI. The shaft fitting is important, with the amount of adjustability you get with modern woods I’d argue the head is less important. Hope something here helps you out

I couldnt agree more! Just echoing this...finding the shaft for my woods (and hybrids) has completely improved my control with these clubs!!  It took some time and money (and being honest with myself about my swing limitations with 3 woods, lol), but finally comfortable with my setup of paradym super hybrid 2h (245 yds), TSR2 4 wood(230 yds), TSR2 5 wood (220-225 yds), u505 2i (225 yds), and TSR3 3h (215-220 yds). I dont have all these clubs in the bag at one time though.

Edited by Sherlock

"Stay in the short grass"

1 hour ago, TylorJudd said:

That does help quite a bit. Ive been looking at the Kai'li White 70 shaft. Seems like it might be a little smoother which could be beneficial in a club with a longer shaft so I don’t need to try so hard to load it. I’m thinking I’ll start with that for now and take advantage of the 30% off Callaway is doing. Once I’m cleared to swing again I’ll go get a fitting and see about trimming it down or changing the shaft. 

The 3 wood is a tricky club for me so like the ideas above.  I currently play the Rogue ST MAX LS 3 wood and now looking for a different club (as well as have goal to fix the wood swing this Winter).  Recently played in Arizona, from the Tips with target golf had 220 to 240 yd carries.  The 3 wood or possibly 4 wood or 5 wood for me needs to be more accurate than the driver, and able to hit low dispersion and 240 to 260 yards.  Btw, hit the Rogue once 285 yards over the green into the street on a par 5 (worthless).  the guys I was playing with were using Driving irons, so broadening my options on this club.   Also agree that shaft is really important on this club as used from the tee and on the deck.                    

Driver - 2023 Callaway Paradym 9.0, 3 Wood -2022 Rogue ST Max, 3 Hybrid Mavrik, 2017 X-forged 4-PW, Wedges Callaway 50-56-60, Putter Odyssey Toulon Chicago     

I have done a lot of experimenting at the top end of my bag and I have some thoughts.   I also struggle with a 3W to the point where  I rarely carry it anymore.   I keep saying I just need to "learn to hit it", but it is rarely good-- and when it is bad it's really, really bad.  Like, 50 yard rollers, bad.    I am thinking about a strong 3 wood (4 wood -- something like 16.5 degree, more on that in a minute).   My inspiration is my 7W.   I purchased it 2nd hand off the rack from one of the national used sporting goods stores.  It's a Titleist 917F, 21 degree.    I have it set down 1 degree.  Essentially, it is the same loft as my 4h-- a Callaway XR (circa 2012), which might be MY favorite club.    They really cover the same distance in my bag (175-180 yards), but the flight is completely different.  The 4h carries about 160 and rolls to 175.  The 7W carries to 165 and basically stops (maybe 5 yards of rollout).  And I can deloft and draw the 7W and get it out to about 190, which makes it a very versatile club.    

Since I do better with some draw-bias,  my thought is the 16.5 degree (strong) 3W.   Then, I would adjust that up 1.5 or 2 degrees to get to 18(ish).  That would also close the face slightly and give me a bit of draw bias.  That fits perfectly in my loft set and should give me a higher launching and longer club than my current 3h (17 degree Callaway XR;  I carry both 3h and 4h in my current gaming set).    

I had a Tour Edition 4w (16.5 degree) for about 6 months.  Liked it, but it wasn't adjustable, and really didn't fit my need.   It was basically 190 - 210 depending on how well I hit it, and I can get that (or a bit less) out of my 3h with better consistency and way fewer miss-hits.  

For context, I am 64 years old and an 8/9 index.  I shoot in the mid- to high-70's when I am playing well.   My driver SS is generally in the low 90s.   All that equates to a 3W (for me) that goes about 195 to 205.   I would just like a bit more carry and a bit more consistency.   

So, your experience might be different from mine.  But I would suggest a little more loft with (definitely) adjustability.   And/Or, just go get fitted.   I have a launch monitor (SkyTrak), so I can experiment a little easier than many players.  

Edited by saz0418
fixed typos

----------

PIng G410, 10.5 set at 9.5/  Cleveland 3+ Hy-wood (18*) / Titleist 915 7w / Callaway XR 4h / Tour Edge HL-4 5h / Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal 7i - GW / Tommy Armour 845 CB wedges (52, 56*).   Ping Sigma 2 Fetch Putter.   SkyTrak in the Garage.  

2 hours ago, saz0418 said:

I have done a lot of experimenting at the top end of my bag and I have some thoughts.   I also struggle with a 3W to the point where  I rarely carry it anymore.   I keep saying I just need to "learn to hit it", but it is rarely good-- and when it is bad it's really, really bad.  Like, 50 yard rollers, bad.    I am thinking about a strong 3 wood (4 wood -- something like 16.5 degree, more on that in a minute).   My inspiration is my 7W.   I purchased it 2nd hand off the rack from one of the national used sporting goods stores.  It's a Titleist 917F, 21 degree.    I have it set down 1 degree.  Essentially, it is the same loft as my 4h-- a Callaway XR (circa 2012), which might be MY favorite club.    They really cover the same distance in my bag (175-180 yards), but the flight is completely different.  The 4h carries about 160 and rolls to 175.  The 7W carries to 165 and basically stops (maybe 5 yards of rollout).  And I can deloft and draw the 7W and get it out to about 190, which makes it a very versatile club.    

Since I do better with some draw-bias,  my thought is the 16.5 degree (strong) 3W.   Then, I would adjust that up 1.5 or 2 degrees to get to 18(ish).  That would also close the face slightly and give me a bit of draw bias.  That fits perfectly in my loft set and should give me a higher launching and longer club than my current 3h (17 degree Callaway XR;  I carry both 3h and 4h in my current gaming set).    

I had a Tour Edition 4w (16.5 degree) for about 6 months.  Liked it, but it wasn't adjustable, and really didn't fit my need.   It was basically 190 - 210 depending on how well I hit it, and I can get that (or a bit less) out of my 3h with better consistency and way fewer miss-hits.  

For context, I am 64 years old and an 8/9 index.  I shoot in the mid- to high-70's when I am playing well.   My driver SS is generally in the low 90s.   All that equates to a 3W (for me) that goes about 195 to 205.   I would just like a bit more carry and a bit more consistency.   

So, your experience might be different from mine.  But I would suggest a little more loft with (definitely) adjustability.   And/Or, just go get fitted.   I have a launch monitor (SkyTrak), so I can experiment a little easier than many players.  

Thank you for sharing your experiences. I am not sure about other brands but for Callaway the 3+ wood is 13.5 degrees rather than the normal 15 degrees. With a the regular shaft and such a low loft I had a hard time getting a controllable flight. I either hit 270 yard stingers that had no spin or really spinny shots that ballooned like crazy and would be pushed around by the wind. But most often I’d just thin it 100 yards as I had a hard time releasing it with such a whippy shaft. 

When playing around with that Adams 3W at 15 degrees I could actually get a pretty decent ball flight, just had a large dispersion pattern. But I only played it a couple times so never got a chance to get used to it before I gifted it to a friend who needed it more than I did. I’m hoping the right loft and shaft will help me dial this in more. I liked these to as they offer so much adjustability so I have lots of options to mess with lie angle and loft.