Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Optimizing Golf Equipment: Fittings vs. Personal Experimentation

Considering the ever-evolving technology in golf clubs, from adjustable weights to multi-material constructions, how do you navigate the plethora of options available to find the perfect balance between forgiveness, distance, and feel for your game? Additionally, anwhatsapk5, how do you weigh the importance of professional fittings versus personal experimentation when seeking optimal performance from your golf equipment?

Edited by JackBDMN

Two options for figuring it out 1) tinker til you find something you can live with/like 2) let a reputable fitter do it for you 

There have been enough recent posts that show fittings will find options that work that the golfer never would have considered. Whether it’s weight, length, shaft profile, shaft weight, loft, head type. 

Some with a decent amount of knowledge can figure out a good enough option.

For me when I’m ready to replace a club and want the best option I go to a trusted fitter and let them work thru the different options and take my input to find the right setup. I’ve yet to have a fitting where I bought something not perform the same way on the course as it did in the fitting. I can self fit myself but I get fit to take some of the emotional decisions away from my testing 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2024 at 10:33 AM, RickyBobby_PR said:

Two options for figuring it out 1) tinker til you find something you can live with/like 2) let a reputable fitter do it for you 

There have been enough recent posts that show fittings will find options that work that the golfer never would have considered. Whether it’s weight, length, shaft profile, shaft weight, loft, head type. 

Some with a decent amount of knowledge can figure out a good enough option.

For me when I’m ready to replace a club and want the best option I go to a trusted fitter and let them work thru the different options and take my input to find the right setup. I’ve yet to have a fitting where I bought something not perform the same way on the course as it did in the fitting. I can self fit myself but I get fit to take some of the emotional decisions away from my testing 

I agree with the notion a professional fitter is better than tinkering yourself. However , keep in mind, the fitter is going to fit your swing you have that day. As an amateur , my swing varies from day to day and I have a different swing during a fitting than when I am playing a competitive round. Thus, I would recommend getting the fitters driver and fine tuning it on the course/after competitive rounds until you feel as comfortable as possible. Again, to me, both is better than either or.

SjW

3 minutes ago, BCases said:

I agree with the notion a professional fitter is better than tinkering yourself. However , keep in mind, the fitter is going to fit your swing you have that day. As an amateur , my swing varies from day to day and I have a different swing during a fitting than when I am playing a competitive round. Thus, I would recommend getting the fitters driver and fine tuning it on the course/after competitive rounds until you feel as comfortable as possible. Again, to me, both is better than either or.

Your swing doesn’t actually vary day to day. What varies day to day is your ability to make the same compensations for your faults. This is a common misperception amongst golfers. They thing it’s the swing that’s inconsistent.

A good fitter is going to be able to see what you are doing in a swing and fit you to it, a really good fitter is going to also give you a mini lesson to help your swing. @Golfspy_CG2 had this happen at his TXG fitting.

A lot of misperceptions by golfers hold them back from playing better golf.

I have been fit several times as a 25 handicap and a 15 handicap. They were all beneficial. Even more so than my fittings as a 10 and below handicap.

I have fit many mid to high handicaps when I was doing fittings as demo days.

I have also watched and provided feedback on this forum for golfers and you can see the same movements in their swing in each shot. It’s how good they are that day at making compensations.

Everyone’s swing is going to have some variation in their compensation including the pros. It’s why you see them have some good days and bad days in the same tournament and why you see errant shots.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

A fitting allows you to rent the equipment, facilities and expertise of someone who has had training and observed countless golfers.  The fitter will gather the data for you so you can just focus on the equipment which will help you to feel the differences between the various options.

You’ll be able to try a bunch of stuff in one place at one time.

The fitting though is just a snapshot of a few dozen swings on one day.

Tinkering at home will not allow you to try as much stuff at one time and maybe also not be able to capture all the data.  But you can take the equipment on the course over multiple days and multiple rounds which will give you different information and allow you to determine if the club does what you need it to and if you have confidence in it.

There is value in both.

I really have come to believe that one of the most valuable things to a golfer when buying new equipment is a playability guarantee.  30-90 days.  The best are guarantees that if the new equipment doesn’t work for you during that time, bring it back for a credit towards something else.

Cobra LTDx LS 9.0 TPT Power Range 18 LO

Cobra LTDx 3W lofted to 16.5 TPT 17 HI

Tour Edge E723 21 degree Diamana Thump f85 S

Cobra LTDx 24 degree 5 hybrid TPT 17 LO

Corey Paul - 5 & 6 CB with KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff Black

Corey Paul 7 - PW Japan Forged Minimalist Blades KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff Chrome

Corey Paul Functional Art 52, 56 & 60 all with BGT ZNE shafts

Odyssey O Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour Shaft, SuperStroke Traxion 3.0 & 75g CounterCore

Bridgestone Tour BRX or MaxFli Tour

Tracked by Arccos, Bushnell V4, Vessel Lux XV 2.0 bag, Bag Boy quad XL cart with Alphard V2 wheels