Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Tiger or Jack?

Javs

Jack has the benefit of precedent, a closed book. Tiger is technically still an open case, although there's very little indicating he will ever win again, so I guess you could call that book closed...? Jack wins because, well, he did it. No woulda, coulda, shoulda. No if only... He did it. Tiger could have, but made too many poor choices off the course that ultimately cost him on the course.

Founder, PutterCup (puttercupgolf.com)

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Huse343 said:

If we are referring to who was better when they were in their prime, I’d say Tiger. Long, impeccable ball striking, and an unreal tough around the greens. Match play - Tiger wins it in 16 holes. 

We will never know for sure. I wouldn’t count either of them out if equipment and youth were equal. Probably have to be a best out of multiple events to get a real answer. Man what a great battle it would be to watch. However, we will never know for sure. We will just have the stats and figures that each of us will cherry pick to back our choice. 

Edited by Javs

Play like a champion today!

I honestly have a love/hate relationship with this question. I’m lucky enough to have been able to watch Jack but it was towards the end of his career. Both players dominated in their era but I think Tiger did it in a way that rewrote the meaning of the word dominant. The number of times the betting odds on the field vs. Tiger were higher was mind numbing. I’d give a slight edge towards Tiger but I don’t think it’s a settled debate. 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

1 hour ago, Preeway said:

I honestly have a love/hate relationship with this question. I’m lucky enough to have been able to watch Jack but it was towards the end of his career. Both players dominated in their era but I think Tiger did it in a way that rewrote the meaning of the word dominant. The number of times the betting odds on the field vs. Tiger were higher was mind numbing. I’d give a slight edge towards Tiger but I don’t think it’s a settled debate. 

I was able to see Jack when he was dominate. It was exciting. I also was on exchange duty in Australia. Jack and his son came down to play in a tournament. Jack was past his prime, but still drew a crowd. I took my son who was 8 at the time to see him. He ran right up to Jack as he was leaving the range to ask for an autograph. Security were blocking him, but Jack said hey let him through. So, he stops talks to my son and signs his hat. During the round Jack noticed him like five times and said hello every time. To this day, my son thinks Jack was the man! Funny small things leave a big impression. 

Play like a champion today!

Tiger dominated the game for 20+ years. He won the US Open playing on a broken leg. He won the Masters, major #15, in 2019 after a lot of people had written him off. And his career is not over yet, although it's been a while since he finished a tournament. How many guys playing on tour today grew up wanting to be like Tiger? How many of them are playing golf because of Tiger? He changed the game of golf and the PGA Tour would not be what it is today without him.

Jack didn't quite dominate in Tiger fashion, but he invoked fear in his competitors much like Tiger did. Along with his 18 majors he had 19 runner-up finishes in majors. He had a much superior Ryder Cup record to Tiger. He changed golf too and helped establish the PGA Tour as we know it. He left a strong legacy, and one that is much less tarnished than Tiger's.

It would have been fun to see them play head to head. They were both easily the best player of their time. Hard to choose "the best" so I'm not going to.

Edited by Jonknowsgolf

Qi10 LS, M5 3wd, P790s 4-AW, Corza Ghost Putter

🐅🐅🐅

I’m a big believer in sports getting more and more competitive ever year so I think Tiger is the GOAT. 
But I also understand it is a little biased since I never got to see jack dominate. 

WITB