Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Can you play a ball not on the USGA list in competition? Answer included

Came across the PGM ball on Temu/Amazon.  Per content on Amazon the ball meets USGA guidelines for size, weight and symmetry but never specifically said “conforms” to USGA nor does it say “non conforming” like some balls.

Did a quick search of USGA database and that thing is just awful for finding a ball.  It is not just a picture of a ball.

Sent an email to USGA asking if the ball conforms.  It doesn’t because it hasn’t been through their lab.  HOWEVER that doesn’t mean it couldn’t be used in competition.  See below:

“A ball not on the list cannot be played when MLR G-3 is in effect. However, if this Model Local Rule is not in place, then the assumption is that a ball used by a player conforms unless there is strong evidence to the contrary.”

Played in plenty of tournaments but never knew about this one.

Learned something new today so I figured I’d share.

Play well all!!

IMG_4760.png

IMG_4758.jpeg

IMG_4757.jpeg

Can shoot 71 as easy as I can shoot 81.  Love the game but feel priced out by rising cost of golf equipment AND greens fees.  Looking to start playing competitive again but also enjoy rounds with friends.  

Competition has to be defined. The group I used to play most of my golf with we had competitions with each group and some for the larger group. Everyone maintained a handicap. This ball would not have been allowed in that competition, nor would have any equipment not on the confirming list

Basically can be used at any competition that’s not USGA, AJGA or other type of golf association that runs tournaments and probably things like club championships.

the marketing material fails to mention if it conforms to initial velocity and ODs specs for USGA/R&A compliance.

Edited by RickyBobby_PR

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

10 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Competition has to be defined. The group I used to play most of my golf with we had competitions with each group and some for the larger group. Everyone maintained a handicap. This ball would not have been allowed in that competition, nor would have any equipment not on the confirming list

Basically can be used at any competition that’s not USGA, AJGA or other type of golf association that runs tournaments and probably things like club championships.

the marketing material fails to mention if it conforms to initial velocity and ODs specs for USGA/R&A compliance.

EXACTLY!

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!