New iron help

acatalano32

Hello MGS friends,

So when is it time-ish for new irons? I got fitted for Srixon z forged irons back in 2019 and I have played them since. What should I look for when testing new irons? Should I be more concerned with shafts? Or should I just be looking at spin numbers and ball speed? 
also, when does an iron start losing performance? 

It’s time whenever you feel like it or when the ones you have dont do the job you expect them to.

Head design, shaft, how those influence the swing and how the swing delivers the club. Launch, spin, dynamic loft, apex/peak height, descent angle, face angle, face to path, path are all relevant numbers.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Its always worth considering changing clubs as you/your golf situation change. Any injuries or physical differences from when you got those sticks? Stronger/ weaker? Have you improved significantly, or don't have the ability to play as much? 

Craig Linder

I think you may need a detailed evaluation using a launch monitor that compares the two. I recently did a $25 PXG fitting to compare my TM irons and see what I need. Obviously their recommendations were based on PXG models but it helped me see where my swing fits in the traditional irons model lineup.

FWIW, I subscribe to the camp that believes 90% of golfers should be playing Game Improvement irons or very forgiving polymer-filled irons.

Driver:  Wilson Staff Cortex 9* Atmos Blue 6

3 Wood: Walter Hagen AWX

5 Wood:  Walter Hagen AWX

4 Hybrid: TaylorMade Aeroburner 

Irons 5-AW: TaylorMade Aeroburner HL 

Sand Wedge:   Wilson Harmonized 56*

Putter:   Wilson Staff Infinite Bucktown 34"

On 4/7/2024 at 6:22 PM, acatalano32 said:

Hello MGS friends,

So when is it time-ish for new irons? I got fitted for Srixon z forged irons back in 2019 and I have played them since. What should I look for when testing new irons? Should I be more concerned with shafts? Or should I just be looking at spin numbers and ball speed? 
also, when does an iron start losing performance? 

You're a 1 handicap.  If the irons are working well for you, and they're dialed in for distance with good dispersion, what are you looking for in new irons?  More distance?  More spin?  Just a change of scenery?  There's nothing wrong with getting new and shiny just because you want to, but I've had better luck (in any sport) changing based on a demonstrable increase in performance, even if the increase is small or in a very specific niche area.  

:callaway-small:Paradym driver

:callaway-small:Paradym X 3HL

:callaway-small:Paradym 7w

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5 Hybrid

:callaway-small:Paradym irons 6-AW

:callaway-small:Jaws Raw 54*, 58*

:odyssey-small: Versa 3T

23 hours ago, MN_Hacker said:

You're a 1 handicap.  If the irons are working well for you, and they're dialed in for distance with good dispersion, what are you looking for in new irons?  More distance?  More spin?  Just a change of scenery?  There's nothing wrong with getting new and shiny just because you want to, but I've had better luck (in any sport) changing based on a demonstrable increase in performance, even if the increase is small or in a very specific niche area.  

I’m basically just wanting to make sure I’m playing the best clubs for me. The z forged are very solid, I just don’t want to be missing out on anything I guess. I switched from CB irons because I kept catching flyers and air mailing greens from 160 with 9irons. 

On 4/12/2024 at 8:53 AM, FightingScot82 said:

I think you may need a detailed evaluation using a launch monitor that compares the two. I recently did a $25 PXG fitting to compare my TM irons and see what I need. Obviously their recommendations were based on PXG models but it helped me see where my swing fits in the traditional irons model lineup.

FWIW, I subscribe to the camp that believes 90% of golfers should be playing Game Improvement irons or very forgiving polymer-filled irons.

I’ve been thinking of the Pxg irons because I loved the driver fitting, and I tend to stay away from the game improvement stuff just because I don’t like catching a short iron with no spin and it flying 15 yards to far. I’m not a blade player anymore but I do need something with spin. Most likely need a combo set, my long irons are not what they used to be lol