Exputt RG - 2024 Forum Review

1 hour ago, pozzit said:

Multiplayer Modes (Play 9 & Online):

These modes are as close as it gets to actual on-course putting. The main principle is to drop you on a green (in regulation) and putt out from there. It usually puts you at between 20-40ft with some sort of break. Each player has a unique putting line and distance, so the player furthest out gets to hit first and then rotates on the longest putt until all players are in the hole or within the 2ft gimme. The score is the number of putts + the GIR strokes.

As for the settings of each mode, you can change course, green speed, number of holes, # of players

Play 9

·         Can play solo

·         Able to turn on Recommended line/speed

PXL_20240925_175221534_MP.jpg.f5d8337dd64c3da66e2da3be39faeffb.jpgPXL_20240925_175245620_MP.jpg.7157238eb436e633bc2faa0a09e0ca05.jpg

Online play

·         Can bet points per hole

·         Play 3 or 9 holes

·         45 Second time limit per putt

·         Emojis – You have a selection of Emojis to communicate with other players

The only recommendation is allowing options for playing different # of holes 3, 6, or 9, Also I think, the ability for simultaneous putting would speed up a round. It can play visually play your putt rather than the opponent’s putt. This may be a small thing but would make it feel more gamified.

PXL_20241010_031106842_MP.jpg.5cbe6a02e01d06e54115d13f170774b4.jpg

Time ≈ 15-30 Minutes Depending on the number of players

Looks like i missed some good matches!

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

buckpillar@gmail.com

My Official Review has been posted.

Let me know if there are any outstanding thoughts or questions. I'm excited to hear the details from the other testers.

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

Just posted my final review on the first page.  Still need to insert additional images.  Will get those added tomorrow.  This is a great product.  I am grateful for the opportunity to be a part of this test.  If anyone has questions or follow up please post here or reach out.  I and the other testers will gladly answer your questions.  

Switch hitter, RH Driver, LH Irons

Callaway Mavrik Driver (RH)

Sub 70 3i Driving/Utility iron (LH)

Maltby STi2 4i-PW, GW (LH)

Mizuno MP R Series 52 degree 

Wilson Jim Ferrier Signature SW (LH)

Mizuno TP Mills blade putter (LH)

On 7/8/2024 at 11:14 PM, Wolfstrum said:

Introduction:

Hello all, my name is Wolfgang.  I am 53 and live in the Pacific Northwest.  I have 7 kids.  Their activities were my priority for the past 30 years.  That left little time for golf.  I played 2 or 3 times a year at family reunions and work retreats.  Last year my oldest and youngest sons took an interest in golf.  We started playing together more frequently.  That ignited my golf obsession.  For the past 20 years, I used a set of hand-me-down irons from a friend and a Big Bertha Steelhead III I won at a conference.  I started this year researching golf equipment.  I discovered MyGolfSpy and found a lot of great info that helped me make overdue gear upgrades.  With new clubs in the bag, I am getting out to play golf once or twice weekly and improving my game.

IMG_3435.jpeg.090cf05ae26c6175dfba506431849dc3.jpeg

There are some exciting testing opportunities announced this year.  Very few of them are a good fit for where I am at in my game this year.  The Exputt RG test is the perfect fit.  I am very aware of the strokes I am losing to bad putting.  I signed up and posted on the signup thread.  With over 3000 signups and only 4 testing spots, I didn’t expect to be selected. 

Putting is currently the most sporadic part of my game.  I want to see how many strokes I can gain back by using the Exputt RG as an at-home training tool.  Can I improve my distance control and reduce over and under hits?  Does the Exputt RG help me improve at long, medium, and short puts? If the practice on the simulator translates to improved golf scores on the course, then the test will be a success.  I plan to involve my two golf-playing sons in the test to see if we can improve our putting game. 

Thank you for this opportunity to test the Exputt RG.

IMG_3472.jpeg.3e9b0797295bb7977bc1df7c571736a3.jpeg

First Impressions: 8/10

I think this simulator is going to help me improve my putting.  After just a few days, I am improving my distance control and the consistency of my putting stroke.

Pros: 

• Easy set up
  • Quality mat
  • Does not take up too much space
  • Easy to roll up and put the mat away when not in use
  • Nice storage bag for the putting mat
  • Cables included
  • Easy-to-understand metrics
  • Seems very portable
  • Remote control

Cons:

• The tripod is shorter than the required minimum height for the camera
  • The music and sound effects aren't great (I muted the sound as it is not needed)
  • Using the putter as a controller for hints and aiming.  The idea is great but it was hard to get it to work all the time.  I ended up just using the remote as it is much faster.
  • When playing with others at home I would like to be able to select a 3 or 6-hole game rather than only a 9-hole game.

IMG_3477.jpeg.f6c0ab76c6bb0a20a2755cb01b21ff12.jpeg

Aesthetics (10 out of 10) 

I like the quality of the product.  All components are well made.  

• High-quality putting mat in a charcoal color (I like that it is not a green mat)
  • Sturdy backstop with foam cushions that stop the ball well even when practicing puts up to 50 ft.
  • Remote control that fits nicely in the hand and can be put in your pocket while putting
  • Optic marks on the mat to control putting directions and other aspects of the simulator without the remote
  • Small compact camera with a pivoting lens to allow placement and syncing at various heights and distances for the mat
  • Lightweight storage bag for storing the simulator and mat when not in use or when traveling

The Numbers (18 out of 20)

The Exputt excels at helping me practice and train my distance control, a key area in improving my putting skills. It also provides feedback on launch direction, putter path, and impact angle. These three data points helped me correct a habit of opening the putter club face sometimes when I putt. You can track improvements over time in these metrics and the others listed below via the analytics option in practice mode.

• The Exputt simulator accurately simulates distances between 5 and 50 feet, which is probably its most important feature  
  • Green speed can be configured in the settings.  This allows the player to practice based on the greens he or she plays on regularly. (Time to ask your home course what green speeds they target on the Stimpmeter),  or have a targeted practice session when the player will be putting on faster or slower greens than they normally play.
  • The Exputt accommodates right-handed and left-handed players within the settings menu
  • The Exputt simulates putting uphill and downhill at various slopes
  • Provides feedback on each putt
  • Launch direction
  • Speed of the ball
  • Distance traveled 
  • Putter path
  • Impact angle
  • Visual of putter path

I did not find the Exputt specifically useful in helping me learn to read breaks on a green.  The simulator in several modes lets you play the greens on several courses, some of which have challenging breaks and topography.  There are hints available in some modes that help you choose the right direction to put based on the contour of the green.  However, I did not find that the onscreen visuals translated well to real life.

Setup:

• Set up was quick and easy
  • Instructions were clear on where to position the camera in relationship to the mat
  • Cable provided for power and connection to the TV
  • Synced quickly and was ready to start putting

On-Course (18 out of 20)

I gained 3-5 strokes by using the Exput to improve my distance control when putting.  Before using the Exputt, I oscillated between over-hitting and under-hitting my puts leaving me with longer second putts that sometimes led to three-putting the hole or worse.  After adding the Exputt as part of my weekly practice routine I now have more one-putts and more second putts that are very short or give me’s.  

The Good, the bad, the in-between (15 out of 20)

Practice Mode is hands down the best part of this product.  I spend hours per session practicing my putting and improving in this mode.  I tested all the other modes available but found them less valuable and useful.  Being able to play someone else online was fun.  I played against several players in Japan and Korea.  If I had buddies with the Exputt it would be fun to get online and challenge them.  3, 6, and 9-hole matches are available for the online challenge.  The multiplayer option lets you play up to 4 players at once.  I was excited about this mode but the only option is a 9 hole match.  My sons and I played that mode once,  If we could select 3 or 6-hole options in that mode we would use that mode often.  Overall, there are many software improvement opportunities beyond the base functionality.   For that reason, I gave it only a 15 out of 20.

Play it or Trade it? (20 out of 20)

The Exputt is now an integral part of my weekly practice routine.  During the winter season when it is too wet to get out and putt, the Exputt will get even more use each week so I can maintain the gains I made this season with my putting and continue to improve my putting stroke in the off-season. I recently switched golf balls to a firmer ball.  The Exputt was my at-home tool to get a feel for the new ball and make adjustments before getting out on the course or practice green for the first time.  I used the Exputt to compare my blade putter with a mallet putter I purchased this season and decided to switch to the mallet putter.  

Conclusion (TLDR)

• Is it worth the cost - YES!  
  • Will it improve your putting - YES! (distance control, launch direction and putting stroke). 
  • Will I continue to use mine regularly - YES!  
  • Will it help you read greens better - NO.  
  • Is it fun to use - YES.  
  • Is the online challenge mode fun - YES. 
  • The hardware is well-made, durable for in-home use, and refined.
  • The software functions well but has opportunities for improvement.

Final Score (89 out of 100)

Great Writeup @Wolfstrum. I mirror many of your comments around usability of the mat as a controller (Dark putter didn't work at all) and Reading green break did not mirror real life. 

It's really impressive that you can directly tie 3-5 strokes on course to your Exputt practice. 

4 hours ago, pozzit said:

Great Writeup @Wolfstrum. I mirror many of your comments around usability of the mat as a controller (Dark putter didn't work at all) and Reading green break did not mirror real life. 

It's really impressive that you can directly tie 3-5 strokes on course to your Exputt practice. 

Thanks, Pozzit.  I hope the MGS community finds the review useful.

Even with a milled-faced putter the mat control feature was sporadic.  

I started using the Hole19 app this year to keep score and track basic game stats. The number of putts per round is one of the stats.  I was able to see that before the Exputt I was consistently averaging 22 puts per 9 holes.  The Exputt helped me identify the reasons behind my missed putts.  There were three factors, 1) distance control both long and short, 2) launch angle because I was not keeping the club face square on my stroke, and 3) swing path.  I made and practiced the adjustments using the Exputt and quickly improved my average to 18 putts per 9 holes.  The stats support my subjective observations of getting my first putts closer to the hole and more consistently on the intended line.  

5 hours ago, Wolfstrum said:

Thanks, Pozzit.  I hope the MGS community finds the review useful.

Even with a milled-faced putter the mat control feature was sporadic.  

I started using the Hole19 app this year to keep score and track basic game stats. The number of putts per round is one of the stats.  I was able to see that before the Exputt I was consistently averaging 22 puts per 9 holes.  The Exputt helped me identify the reasons behind my missed putts.  There were three factors, 1) distance control both long and short, 2) launch angle because I was not keeping the club face square on my stroke, and 3) swing path.  I made and practiced the adjustments using the Exputt and quickly improved my average to 18 putts per 9 holes.  The stats support my subjective observations of getting my first putts closer to the hole and more consistently on the intended line.  

3-4 strokes per 9 is phenomenal. Congrats. Keep up the hard work do you think you can shave anymore off? 18 putts is good but I'm sure room for more improvement.

Good reviews guys! This will definitely stay on my radar as a product to purchase 

I have a cobra rad speed driver, cobra fly z 3 and 5 wood, PXG 0311 P Gen 7 irons (4-GW), 54&58 degree Sub70 246 wedges, Tommy Armour #2 wide blade putter. When I’m playing to keep score I typically play the Maxfli Tour X. When just getting a round in with friends or scrambling I play whatever I might find on the course or might find at the bottom of my bag.

Excellent reviews, descriptions, and highlights of its potential to help reduce the notorious 3 putts!

I was excited reading over the combat 

.errr....  head to head online play!

Has anyone recieved any emails or correspondence from the company regarding future upgrades to software, amenities,  or subscriptions?

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

3 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

Excellent reviews, descriptions, and highlights of its potential to help reduce the notorious 3 putts!

I was excited reading over the combat 

.errr....  head to head online play!

Has anyone recieved any emails or correspondence from the company regarding future upgrades to software, amenities,  or subscriptions?

I have not Rob, but they have been quietly following along in the thread.

But we can always check to see if there is an update available when we log into the ExPutt.

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

buckpillar@gmail.com

I am glad there is no subscription required. If they add one I hope it is only for additional courses/features and does not move any of the current features behind a paywall. I quickly drop or avoid most products that do that. 

20 hours ago, pozzit said:

3-4 strokes per 9 is phenomenal. Congrats. Keep up the hard work do you think you can shave anymore off? 18 putts is good but I'm sure room for more improvement.

There are definitely more strokes I can shave off in the putting portion of my game.