Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Acushnet doesn't renew contract with Rory... Thoughts?

luke-donald-duck

Apparently, Rory's contract with Acushnet/Titleist, which ends at the end of 2012, will not be renewed. So he'll effectively become a free agent.

What do you guys think of this? Obviously, there have been rumors that he might be going to Nike...

In the bag as of now...

Driver: Titleist 909 D3 9.5* w/ Diamana Kai'li 60 X
3-wood: Callaway RAZR Fit 15* w/ Diamana Kai'li 70 S
5-wood: Callaway RAZR Fit 18* w/ Diamana Kai'li 70 S
Irons: 4-PW Mizuno MP-64 w/ Project X 5.5
Wedges: Mizuno MP T-11 52*, 56*, 60* w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
Putter: Byron Design 007 w/ Superstroke Ultra Slim 1.0
Balls: Taylormade Penta TP5 or Tour Preferred X

• SPY VIP

Rick from ScoreGolf was told by a source close to TaylorMade that the company might kick the tires a bit on Rory, but wouldn't go above 15 million per year.

I've said all along that I don't think Rory fits well with TMaG's model, but is a perfect fit for Nike's.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Here's the thing, Rory plays blades. This isn't like a guy switching to a company and playing an entirely different type of club. Nike will make him blades and balance it just right for him and he'll be fine. If he slumps, it might have nothing to do with the clubs, but he'll have $20 mil for 10 years, so he'd be dumb not to take it.

There is a big difference between Nike and Titleist woods, but he could always do what McDowell did and put Nike headcovers on his old clubs, I'm sure while he's transitioning, Nike wouldn't mind much.

Archived