Woods to Hold a Monday Press Conference

Addicted2Golf

The Associated Press

Published: Thursday, March 25, 2010 at 1:00 a.m.

Last Modified: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 at 9:14 p.m.

ORLANDO - Tiger Woods will speak before he plays in the Masters.

Woods is scheduled to hold his first press conference in nearly five months at 2 p.m. on Monday, April 5, according to a tentative interview schedule that Augusta National released Wednesday.

It will be his first press conference in nearly five months, and his first time facing a room full of reporters since he crashed his SUV into a tree on Nov. 27, setting off shocking revelations of rampant infidelity.

The Masters only recently began conducting a press conference on Monday of tournament week, usually a player with only moderate news interest because most of the media isn't there yet.

Woods is the only player scheduled for an interview that day. Given the sensational nature of his downfall, what he says could trump the NCAA basketball championship game held later that night.

Arnold Palmer, one of the most popular players in golf history, suggested that Woods be more open with reporters.

"It's up to him to do and say whatever he feels he needs to do to redeem the situation, put it in the proper place," Palmer said. " ... I suppose the best thing he could do would be open up and just let you guys shoot at him. And that's just my thought."

The last time Woods held a press conference was Nov. 15 after he won the Australian Masters in Melbourne for his 82nd career victory. His middle-of-the-night accident occurred 12 days later.

Woods typically has his press conference at the majors on Tuesday.

Among those scheduled to speak the day after Woods are Phil Mickelson, Geoff Ogilvy and Jack Nicklaus.

Palmer initially was guarded with his opinion about Woods and the sex scandal that has tarnished golf's biggest star. But when asked at Bay Hill how Woods could show more respect for the game -- as Woods pledged in his public apology last month -- Palmer's suggestion was for him to let his guard down.

Such advice comes from an 80-year-old, seven-time major champion who first made golf popular among the masses in America with his charisma, hard-charging comebacks and a connection with fans unlike any other player. Palmer won them over by looking them in the eye and speaking from the heart.

Even after he finished his press conference Wednesday, the King looked comfortable facing more than a dozen reporters until it was time for him to get ready for the pro-am in the Arnold Palmer Invitational, a prelude to the Bay Hill Cassic gets under way today.

Woods has dominated the conversation at Bay Hill, as has been the case at other tournaments this year. It is more prevalent at Bay Hill because his return is imminent.

"I will say we are disappointed Tiger isn't here to play," Palmer replied to the first question about Woods.

Palmer expected Woods to contend at Augusta National, which will be his first competition in five months, because that's the "nature of the beast." Even so, he was surprised that Woods will make the Masters his first tournament.

Link

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

I am a huge tiger fan and am very excited to see him back, but oh my god, can you imagine the amount of people that will want to follow his group at the masters !? it is going to be insane and very awesome to watch there is no doubt about that...

Driver--Taylormade RBZ Tour 9* Aldila RIP Phenom 65s

Fairway Metal--Taylormade R11s 14* Aldila RIP Phenom 70s

Hybrid--Taylormade RBZ Tour 18.5* RE-AX 85 gram S

Irons--Nike Vr Pro-Combo 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300

Wedges--Nike SV Tour Forged 50*, 56*, 60* True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter--Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

Ball--Taylormade Lethal

Grips--Lamkin R.E.L 3Gen (Woods-green, Irons-red, Wedges-white)

Wasn't he already scheduled for a Tuesday press conference?

I think they moved his up to Monday (before the rest of the Tuesday player conferences) to get part of the circus out of the way. IMO, a smart move on Woods and Augusta's part.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

There Tiger goes again, F-ing up the coverage of college basketball.

Haha, I didn't think about that, but you're right. Its going to be all Woods all the time on Monday and the rest of the week.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Haha, I didn't think about that, but you're right. Its going to be all Woods all the time on Monday and the rest of the week.

Yeah, with his stupid 5 minute interview, he took up all of Sportscenter when Duke beat Cal, and now SC is going to have to split National Championship footage with a press conference.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Yeah, with his stupid 5 minute interview, he took up all of Sportscenter when Duke beat Cal, and now SC is going to have to split National Championship footage with a press conference.

That's alright, It will be Michigan State and West Virginia anyway. :rolleyes:

Is Arizona State still in it? Oh, darn....

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Archived